Female student traveling alone?

Sep 20th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Female student traveling alone?

How easy is it for a young college student to meet others traveling in Europe? Do kids actually bond and find someone or a group to travel with?
Sep 20th, 2003, 11:57 PM

When I went a few years ago, it was really easy- just stay at the hostels. Lots of little groups form to travel and tour together, especially in the summer.
Sep 21st, 2003, 06:45 AM

You might want to try reading and posting on www.lonelyplanet.com I've read here it tends to be younger with a lot of student/budget travelers. You might meet someone before you go!

www.statravel.com is a good resource for student discounts
Sep 21st, 2003, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Any more thoughts? Any recs for safe, convenient hostels in Paris or Switzerland? Thanks
Sep 21st, 2003, 08:23 PM

Where in Switzerland, blackbird?
Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:18 AM

Hi, blackbird!

For recommendations from people who have stayed in hostels, try Rick Steves' Graffitti Wall/Board. There is a listing about hostels all over Europe, good and bad. I just saw it and superficially scrolled through it. Seems very informtive.

There are also other websites, such as Lonely Planet, which deal with backpackers and hostels.

You'll be able to find a lot of information on the web.

There is a book, Paul Karr's hostel book on hostels in the UK.

Although I haven't stayed in one myself, I understand that another source of inexpensive lodgings is monasteries in Italy.

Happy travels!
Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:10 AM

As mclaurie said, Lonely Planet's site (The Thorn Tree) would be a lot more suited to your trip. If you stay in dorms (usually mixed) you would have a better chance of meeting other travellers. There's a seperate forum on "The Thorn Tree" called Travelling Companions where you can possibly arrange to meet up with others on the move. Unless you're very shy I think you'll meet up with a few people along the way anyway. Enjoy.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 10:33 AM

Don't think this has been mentioned, but www.eurotrip.com has a great forum for this type of thing, maybe also www.hostels.com (at least they have info on hostels).

I haven't done this and am way beyong those demographics, but I think it is certainly easy to meet other students traveling in Europe, especially staying at hostels. Finding someone to travel with might be another story and might depend on your personality and where you want to go. For example, if you mainly want to be with others rather than pursue your own agenda, you might be able to. Also, maybe if you mainly want to visit some of the major cities. But, I wouldn't expect to find a person or group who will want to go the exact same places and stay the same time as you.

I don't think you should need a group to travel with, if you meet people within a city. Of course, that won't be much good if you never stay in a place more than a day or so.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:34 AM

I travelled alone in Spain & Portugal for three weeks (I am female) and met people everywhere I went - some I saw more than once and in different cities! Staying at hostels can help, but then it may also constrain you from meeting local people. Train travel is also conducive to meeting people. It can be fun to find a "group" (usually they will be a mix from various countries), but don't get too comfortable! Get out there on your own and get to know the people who are from the country you are visiting.