Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to pack for italy

what should I pack to wear in rome, capri, naples in september
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM

The same thing you would pack for New York, Boston, -- suitable clothing. It should still be pretty warm. Obviously you need to have knees and shoulder cover when visit most churches.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 05:16 AM

And make sure whatever you pack fits in a 21" roller!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 09:40 AM

tabbysammy: how long is your trip and do you have any special or "fancy" events planned?
Pack a folding umbrella.
Wear one pair of comfortable walking shoes (and if they're new, wear them at home for a week or so to make sure they don't hurt). Pack an alternate pair, and one pair of nicer flats or heels if you want to dress up a bit at night. One of those pairs of shoes is worn on the plane.
For a week's trip, I'd bring a couple of pairs of cropped trousers, and a couple of pairs of black cotton trousers. Wear one more pair of trousers of some type. I'm just saying what I'd bring, others will say you can bring fewer trousers. I've found that black trousers will do for any evening place except for the most luxurious (and even then....) One sweater or shawl. Cotton tops or blouses, with sleeves, more tops than trousers., unless you plan on doing laundry or having your hotel do it. I don't care if it's expensive, I hate toting sweaty clothes from place to place, and love the splurge of clean and pressed clothes as long as I'm at one hotel for at least two days to allow for the laundry. A silk scarf or a necklace can dress up even a tee shirt, and that's where a shawl is also versatile. Socks that feel good inside the walking shoes. The rest you can figure out. Do a search here on <pack> and you'll find lots of other threads on this topic.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Capri is a resort and as such you can wear more casuale clothes than in cities. Sept will probably still be quite warm so summer clothes plus a light jacket or sweater. As anyplace in europe be sure you have a sturdy folding umbrella and one pair of waterproofed walking shoes.

As to exactly what to bring, will you be eating in upscale restaurants or going to more formal events - if so you need appropriate clothing. If everything you do will be casual you can stick to decent casual clothes.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 10:25 AM

Read the threads on what to wear in churches to be sure you have clothes that will work for them.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Black washable silk slacks, very light black jacket, tops to go with, tan slacks or capris, Naot sandals and Paull Green walking shoes have gotten me through numerous travels in Italy. I bring only minimal jewelry and buy a scarf or two as soon as I am over there; they become part of the trip mementos. I am a 21" carry-on only traveler.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM

I don't take an umbrella. If the need arises, I buy a cheap one and then leave it behind when I go home.

I like to wear skirts when it's hot, because there's more air circulation around my legs. And it will still be warm at night, so just a sweater will do.

I agree you only need 3 pairs of shoes (maybe only 2 if you are strict about it).

Remember nobody else will know you are wearing the same clothes over and over, so you don't need a lot of changes. But if it's really hot you may find it necessary to do a little washing, so get stuff that doesn't need dry-cleaning, dries fast and doesn't need ironing.