Search

Need Packing Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2016, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Packing Advice Please!

Hi All,

My Fiance and I will be leaving for our month long honeymoon June 26 and will be traveling to Switzerland and Italy. We plan on visiting Lucerne, Wengen, Ennetburgen, Tuscany, Positano, and Rome.

We have activities planned such as hiking, zip lining, boat cruises, cheese and wine tours, Rail trips, Quad Tour, winery visits, Hot air balloon ride, Day in Capri for Blue Grotto, Dinners, and then finishing in Rome visiting the typical tourist attractions. We also plan to spend some time enjoying our hotels and its surroundings in the pool, relaxing, and strolling around the towns and cities.

This may sound silly, but how in the world do we pack for this trip? Would love some advice and input about luggage and attire for both a man and a woman.

Thank you!!
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 07:02 PM

<i> Need Packing Advice Please!
Posted by: GoldenGrl1028 on Jun 1, 16 at 9:54pm</i>

My daughter took loads of photos in those places last summer. Tourists wore whatever is comfortable for the climate. Slacks, cotton dresses, cargo shorts, sandals, walking or runners shoes for the day. Protect your skin. Brimmed hats are on sale at tourist kiosks wherever you go. Have an umbrella and light windbreaker. Bring a "business casual" jacket, garb, and shoes for evening wear. Wear a scarf.

One 22" roller bag and a shoulder bag each is enough. Dress in layers.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Most of your planned activities don't require any specific clothing. You don't need to be 'dressed up' anywhere unless you intend to splurge on a high-end dinner where your husband would be required to wear a coat a tie.

Obviously, you'll need proper shoes for hiking, zip lining and perhaps the quad tour. I'd take old shoes and throw them out after these activities. I would think you'd wear the same type of clothing for each of these activities, and I wouldn't take multiples of any items. Just wash and wear again.

For everything else, take things you can mix and match. I don't like linen for traveling, but some people do. I also don't like shorts unless they reach the knee, but others can't imagine wearing anything else when it's hot (and you will have some hot days). I like capri length pants, lightweight skirts and a small variety of tops. (If I think I'll be visiting a church that day, I'll be sure to choose appropriate attire.)

For me, everything has to be simple to wash or give to a laundry service to clean. I don't iron on vacation, so that dictates some fabric choices. I like walking sandals and a pair of comfortable flats to wear at night. Rain is always possible somewhere, but you can buy anything you didn't bring with you.

You might want a packable hat for the days in the sun and a lightweight jacket, sweater and/or pashmina-type wrap for the evenings. We take a packable day pack because mornings often start cool, and it's nice to have something to carry clothing layers, water bottle, snack, souvenirs, whatever, that doesn't take up luggage space when it's not in use.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-B...JY7H10Z3G37SKH
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 07:07 PM

And we always take small, pocket-size binoculars to view the landscape and get a close-up look at church ceilings.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 07:30 PM

Can you be more specific about what is worrying you? Otherwise, you are going to get a LOT of information about what we all bring
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 03:07 AM

Let's do this by category:

Outdoor activities: wear what you would wear at home. Just don't take a lot of . You will be changing locations, so no one will know you are wearing the same thing over and over. REI and other outdoor shops have a lot of stuff that will dry overnight. Maybe two long sleeved shirts and two pairs of pants, maybe with zip off legs. My wife wouldn't wear these in a city.

City activities: it's likely to be hot in Rome and Southern Italy. You can't go into churches with bare shoulders or bare knees, so two knee length skirts and two T shirts with sleeves.

Hanging out and walking around town: 2 pairs of cropped pants, 2 more tops. Bathing suit.

Dining out: dress

Weather: rain jacket, cashmere sweater

Shoes, girl stuff, etc. It will all fit in a carryon.

You can find laundromats in most Italian towns big enough to attract tourists if you have things you can't wash by hand.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 08:56 AM
ekc

Keep in mind that you can purchase your swim coverup for very reasonable prices when you get to Positano, along with light cotton dresses. You can also have a pair of sandals made for around 60 euro. There is a laundromat in Positano where you can get your clothes washed.

With that that traveling, you will want to limit yourself to carry-on only. No need to start the honeymoon with lost luggage!
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 09:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
linen jacket,linen shirts and chinos with dock siders for the evening.

jeans not required

Hiking gear, boots or rugged sandals, shorts (not too short) T and layers with fleece/windbreak water proof trews.

That's him sorted

cotton! ok maybe for hiking.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! All of you have really helped ease my mind a bit about packing and over packing which we do not want to do! We both have never been away for this long so we have been anxious about the packing.

One other question I have is regarding a hair dryer, straightener, and curling iron. Is there a European brand that I should look for to purchase? Or do you have any brand suggestions that work well and do not blow up when using the converter?

I guess a month long trip just sounds like a VERY long time but when you really begin to think about packing you can mix and match and do laundry so that helps quite a bit.

Are there any other tips or secrets anyone would suggest?
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 03:38 PM

My general rule of thumb is to always travel light. A wise friend of mine once told me to pack your suitcase, then take 1/2 of everything out! That has worked for me every time because ultimately, you don't really wear everything that you bring, so you might as well pack what you will actually wear! I take a regular 22" carry-on size suitcase, no matter how long my stay. (Nothing is worse than dragging a huge suitcase across cobblestone streets and having to maneuver it due to weight!). I typically pack 2 pairs of pants (jeans, leggings) that you can intermix with various tops each day. Europeans have no problem wearing the same tops over again. For a 1 month long trip I would pack about 10 shirts (Tshirts and perhaps 1 long sleeve shirt for evenings - avoid blouses since they need ironing), a lightweight jacket or sweatshirt, hiking shorts/hiking shoes, as well as comfortable walking shoes for day excursions and a nice pair for evening dinners out (flats or low wedges work). On the plane, I wear my jacket so if it is a heavier item, it is not weighing down my suitcase. I can always tie it around my waist upon arrival if the weather is hotter than expected. It looks like you got tips for your fiancé's packing list already, so I will not answer that one!

Re: hair grooming, etc. if you are out and about everyday, you may not care to do too much to your hair. Personally, I would decide between a curling iron or a straightener, less is more when it comes to packing. I would think with the humidity and outdoor activities, straightening OR curling your hair may not last many hours, but it's up to you. Many hotels have or can provide a hair dryer, so if you want to avoid loading your suitcase, just bring a 220 volt adapter and use the appliances the hotel has.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 03:39 PM

Most hotels, apartments, etc. will supply a hairdryer. You can buy curling irons and straighteners that are dual voltage, but there are several people on the forum who had bad experiences with them. I myself haven't but if you do a search, you'll find some lengthy discussions on the matter. My curling iron is a Revlon that I got at a local Target. Do not use any appliance where you need a converter whatever you do.

As for clothes, my mainstay are knee length skirts and tissue tees of some kind. Add some jewelry and a scarf and they're versatile. For shoes, I wear some form of Keen sandal (the Whisper and Rose sandals are might current favorites. I like Keen because they're easily adjusted and my feet swell from flying and the heat.

I am not of the opinion that her fiancé needs a linen jacket for the evening unless you are going to a very nice restaurant where it might be required. My husband got by just fine with polls and one long sleeve button down shirt (and even that he could have gotten by without).
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 04:02 PM

<i>GoldenGrl1028 on Jun 2, 16 at 7:08pm
One other question I have is regarding a hair dryer, straightener, and curling iron. Is there a European brand that I should look for to purchase? Or do you have any brand suggestions that work well and do not blow up when using the converter?
Are there any other tips or secrets anyone would suggest?</i>

Ditto indyhiker on the hairdryer. About 99.9% of sleeping establishments in Europe now furnish one in the room. That's to help protect them against the high wattage 110 volt devices that Americans bring with them. Converters are dangerous devices.

For the other appliances I suggest visiting the Manor department store in Lucerne after you arrive. If you really need a hairdryer it is called a Föhn in German speaking parts of Switzerland.

While in Manor check out the restaurant for lunch. You might also want to pick up a Swiss Army knife and a watch. Most things in CH are very expensive but the home town products are reasonable and the selection is extensive. You must put the knife in checked luggage for your return flight.

For tips galore see the website linked in my Fodor's profile.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 04:50 PM

As others have said, hair dryers are provided at just about every lodging establishment. If you must have a straightener and curling iron (both?), I would buy them after you get there. You'll need plug adapters as the prong pattern in Switzerland is not the same as in Italy.