What to wear on the plane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, so does anyone have any suggestions/preferences for what to wear on the long flight across the pond. My flight is non-stop from LA to Paris, almost 11 hours flight time.

This is mostly for the ladies, since the gents don't have as much of a choice. What's the best for the long trip -- long skirt, cotton pants, sweats(heaven forbid!), sweaters, t-shirts, blouses?

What looks best, is most "travelproof" and comfortable?

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:37 PM

My personal favorites are the Chico's travelers. They are stylish and as comfortable as pajamas, don't wrinkle and you'll be ready to go when you land. Plus they wash and dry quickly without wrinkling.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:39 PM

I usually wear a jjill pant suit that has a rumply look, even right from the cleaners. I get cold on airplanes, so like that it has a jacket. It's very comfy, and has an elastic waist.

I wear socks (my feet get cold, too) and soft topped, rubber soled shoes in case we want to go sightseeing right away.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:44 PM

I like comfortable clothes like cotton slacks and shirts with a sweater to add if needed. Also, I like to wear socks and comfortable shoes that will stretch if my feet swell a bit.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:46 PM

Depends on the time of year, but on my most recent trip (leaving September 21) I wore a pair of pressed khaki capris with a knit top and a black linen jacket. For shoes I wore black Aerosole leather shoes and I carried a large leather bag for all my everyday stuff. I like to look fairly stylish when I arrive, but feel totally comfortable.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:01 PM

Another vote for Chico's Travelers. They do triple duty (comfy, stylish, and practical), roll up into nothing, and come in lots of styles and colors. Almost as comfy as jammies on the plane, and easily accessorized for variety during the trip. I went to Italy for a month last year with one carry-on bag, thanks to Chico's and Ziplock bags!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 10:31 PM

Buy a pair of men's support hose. Best thing I ever bought! www.supporthosestore.com - Jobst for Men - Medium Black 110302
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 03:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can sympthasise with the long flight time - we live in Australia and it's 14 hours non-stop to L.A. and about 20 hours with one stop to London. Yikes!
Choose dark colours that won't show creases or spills and definitely go for comfort. I usually wear stretchy black pants that are comfy around the waist, a t-shirt and a warm, dark coloured top like a polar fleece. Also flat black shoes and socks. On the flight I always take tissues, eyedrops, toothbrush, comb and moisturiser. A neck cushion is also a good idea.
Kay
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:16 AM

Janyne11159 or Chicgeek:

More information on Chico Travelers please. Where do you purchase and approximate cost.

Thank you.
Sandy
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:58 AM

www.chicos.com is the place. The sizes run kinda large. I also use the 3 piece outfits for travel for all the already stated reasons. But I recommend cotton underware and hand cream. For some reason my hands get very dry on long flights.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:02 AM
TC

I really like to wear the step-in, open back type shoes when we make long flights. They are easy to slip off when sitting, easy to slip back on and offer enough room for expansion when my feet swell after so many hours in the air.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:02 AM

Like Kay, I'm frequently on very long flights since I live in China, and like St. Cirq and try to balance style and comfort.

I second the recommendation for socks (although I bring thick warm ones with me since I typically wear trouser socks) - it's more comfortable and warmer.

I also recommend a pashmina or other warm, non-bulky wrap. I have only been on a handful of too-warm flights in my life, but DOZENS of flights on which I thought I might freeze to death. I ALWAYS wear layers and even then, and even with rounding up 3 blankets, am often still VERY cold - warm socks, a pashmina, and layers may come in very handy.

I suppose I've gotten off track of what to wear - those are more like things to pack in your carryon. I usually wear trousers that don't wrinkle and won't drag in the knees after I've been contorted in pretzle-like positions for 15 hours, along with a knit top and light sweater. Mostly black, but that's just me!
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:14 AM

I owe one of the Chico Travelers Jackets and I love it, but they are kinda pricey. As an alternative, Mervyn's carried a brand called French Laundry and they have some pieces that are made of the same fabric, Acetate, as the Chico line. I just bought a black shell and pants on sale both for around $40 total. Many times, you can find pieces made of this fabric in department stores at a better price.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:20 AM

I didn't read through all this, but the title reminded me of the time many years ago when a whole group of us (then young teachers) flew to Spain for Easter week. Two of the gals wore dark blue pantsuits on the plane. They looked just like the stewardesses (yes the appropriate term for those days). Everytime one of them got up to go to the bathroom, they'd get about five drink orders going up the aisle.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:36 PM

SandyBrit,

There are Chico's stores everywhere (at least in the US), but you can also use chicos.com. The prices are reasonable, considering the amount of use you get out of them IMHO. There are also LOTS of coordinating pieces, which make for necessary versatility when trying to pack light.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:53 PM

Go to www.chicos.com and check out store locations near you. There are several <i>outlets</i>, but I don't think they show up in the store locater list. Phone the 800 number to find out if there's an outlet store near you. I can usually find lots of good bargains there.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:10 PM

If you live near one of the large outlet malls, Chico's has outlets with deep discounts. They are a little pricey, but wash well, hold their color and never seem to wear thin.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:22 PM

Ok, let's make this strictly a girls-only discussion. I hope I don't get flamed here, but has anyone mentioned bras? I can't stand the thought of wearing an underwire bra on a long flight (not to mention the fact that those things set off metal detectors). That's why I own several of these new camisoles with a built-in &quot;shelf&quot; bra (most stores sell them now). I wear one on the plane with a knit tunic-style top over it--to keep met warm and... well... decent, I guess. That combined with my favorite pair of Gap stretchy jeans--and I have a &quot;plane&quot; outfit, which has passed the test of time (on quite a few trans-pacific and trans-atlantic flights).

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:31 PM

Sans--you have definitely turned this into a girl's only discussion--LOL! I wear my oldest, most comfy bra on a long flight. My daughter wears one of her older sports bras that has lots of stretch in it. I can't even stand to wear on of the camisoles with a shelf bra. After 12 hours it feels like a big rubber band!
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:42 PM

Since we're on the subject . . .

One of my first times flying, the person in front of me set off the metal detector, so the agent used the wand and asked the person to remove his belt.

When I went through, I set it off, too, and when the agent used the wand, she leaned over and asked me: &quot;Darlin', are you wearing an underwire bra?&quot; I got this horrified look on my face because I thought she meant that I was going to have to take it off!

SECRET TIPS FOR NOT SETTING OFF METAL DETECTORS:

I've just come back from a lobbying trip to Washington DC, where almost every building has a metal detector. I'd read these tips somewhere and it works about 99% of the time for me. I told my companions and we watched as people went through, and sure enough, the people who followed the tips usually sailed right through, while those who didn't beeped almost every time:

* First of all, plan ahead so that you don't have anything in your pockets - keys, cell phone, lighter, coins, whatever. Plan in advance so that all this stuff is in your carryon.

* When it's your turn to go through, use one GIANT step, with one foot BEFORE the metal detector, then with your other foot, step ALL THE WAY THROUGH and place your other foot on the other side of the detector. People who step in the middle or take small mincing steps beep almost every time.

* If you have something that might beep, like a watch, belt buckle, or underwire bra, try to cover the possible offender with your hand or arm. Sometimes, they tell you to keep your hands at your sides, but if they don't, this is usually enough to keep something simple like that from beeping (works for me with underwire bras!).

The next time you're in an airport keep these rules in mind and watch as the people in front of you go through - it really works!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -