Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do with cameras and video cameras?

Apr 5th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

This may sound stupid, but where do you keep your camera and video camera while you are out and about in Rome and other cities? My husband thinks they will be fine in a backpack but my suspiciion is that they are not safe there. I hear of all kinds of slashing of backpacks & purses to get at the contents quickly and without you even knowing. Do you literally have to just carry these items around with you wherever you go? That doesn't sound right either. Please advise. We leave Monday.Thanks Alexis
Apr 5th, 2006, 05:16 PM

I don't use a video camera. Just a small digital camera, which I carry in my handbag. Which is worn tightly under my arm, with my hand on the straps. (I live in a big city in the US where there are pickpockets - though not as good as those in Rome!) When on public transit, I do my best to blend in and look as little like a tourist as possible.

I think the risk of using a backpack is that it's behind you, where you can't see who might be unzipping it. That's much more likely than its actually being slashed. If you want to use one, wear it in *front* of you on crowded public transit. You'll be better able to keep an eye, as well as less likely to bump people with it.
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Best is on a neckstrap, wriststrap, or in a case with a shoulder strap over one shoulder and under the other arm with one hand on it. Never, ever, set it down on a table.

If someone offers to take a photo of the both of you, make sure it's another tourist (with a camera of their own), to preclude being relieved of the camera.

You should never carry anything you'd mind "losing" in a backpack, purse, fanny pack, etc.
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:09 PM

First of all - make sure your camera (and do you really need both?) is small and light.

Second a backpack is the worst place to keep anything - since it's BEHIND YOU and you can't see who's doing what to it. Best choice is a neck strap - so you can feel the camera at all times. For when you're not using it put in your purse (shoulder/worn bandolier style) or day pack (again - NOT worn on the back).
Apr 5th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Read djkbooks, or live and learn the hard way. Only keep your laundry in your backpack.
Apr 5th, 2006, 07:38 PM

My camera and camcorder both fit into pockets.
Apr 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody. You gave us great insight and my husband bought a great new camera today (that also does video) and it fits in his pocket. It was a great excuse for him to go and get something he had been wanting to get for a while. He's a techno- gadget guy. Thanks so much.
Apr 6th, 2006, 09:04 PM

acristof--I was astounded at how something as small as my Sony camcorder can make such great videos. I was sure that everything would be shakey, but they've really got it down well.
Apr 7th, 2006, 03:26 AM

I carry a backpack because it's more comfortable for heavy loads. But when in a crowd I carry it on one shoulder so that the pack is in front of my body and firmly tucked under one arm - nearly impossible for anyone to get into without me noticing. FWIW, I have travelled this way for decades in Europe and Asia, and have never been pickpocketed.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Apr 7th, 2006, 03:55 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Rome last year and I had it in my hand, around my neck, in my backpack etc. I guess the camera can get stolen whereever you are so you should not spend too much of your time worrying about it. Just make sure that you have a good travel insurance and make sure that you take a backup of you pictures from time to time (if you have equipment for this). Rome is amazing by the way...so much to see and do and so much history in one small place. I have posted a trip report with pictures, links etc on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there

Regards
gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Apr 7th, 2006, 04:54 AM

We just use a digital camera which i carry in my handbag. Things are stolen from people in every country in the world, dont let it spoil your holiday in Rome.