somewhere between marseilles and aix?

Apr 6th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

somewhere between marseilles and aix?

Hi all,

I have done some searches but cannot still figure out the best place to stay for a long weekend in Provence in early May. We will be flying into Marseilles (this is non-negotiable--tickets already purchased), so I am looking for a charming b&b/inn between there and Aix (sounds like Aix is perhaps too big of a city to stay in). We'd like to spend between 150-200 euros/night. Prefer a central location that is great for exploring other towns by car, but would love to be located in a village or town where we could walk in the evenings for a fantastic dinner. We're interested in hiking, markets, and just relaxing and taking the scenery. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Apr 6th, 2006, 09:54 AM

You know the Marseille airport is actually closer to Aix. About the only small village nearby is Ventebran - it's very charming and I seem to remember that there is a B&B there. You might just as well think about driving to Les Alpilles or the Luberon as either one would be about an hours drive from the airport, so easily within reach for a long weekend.

-Kevin
Apr 6th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick reply, Kevin. Can you recommend any b&bs/inns in Luberon? Is Luberon an area or a town? Please excuse my cluelessness!
Apr 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Kevin is right about Marseilles/Aix. There are many opportunities for a stay relatively close to Aix to the northwest and north/northeast, including places like Gordes and St. Remy, both popular with people on this board. If you put either name in or just the Luberon or Les Alpilles you should find some hotels or B&Bs recommended.
Apr 6th, 2006, 12:36 PM

You can try Gites de France (http://www.gdf13.com/gites.html), although the problem is that the listings are by département, so you have to know which one fits your geographical needs. Aix and Marseilles are in the Bouche-du-Rhône.
Apr 6th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Victoria -

The Luberon is a mountain range running east-west and about 45 minutes north of Aix. It's a protected area and a Regional Parc and very beautiful. Here's a few web sites which will give you more info:

http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/groupes/luberon/luberon.htm

and also www.provencebyways.com which is a site run by bob and Sue Winn who have written a great self-published guide to the area.

Hope that helps.

-Kevin
Apr 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Kevin owns and operates a B&B--check with him.
Apr 7th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Kevin--

We actually spoke on the phone this morning! You called me to check on the email that you sent! Weird!!!

Thank you Kevin and others for all of your help. We're still finalizing our plans. Looking forward to exploring Provence!
Apr 7th, 2006, 04:04 AM

Victoria -

I thought that might have been you. Figured out my problem with emails - something crazy to do with outgoing SMTP servers not matching and the free.fr being on a blacklist ????? Had to resend a stack of emails. What a mess.

It's much more pleasant working out in the garden and as it's a beautiful sunny day here, that's where I am heading !

Regards,
-Kevin