Reload this Page >

What to bring back from Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 04:14 PM
Paul

As much as I've always loved reading about ancient and current Greek history, I am unaware of what will be good artsy-craftsy items to bring back from Greece? Do the Greeks produce anything crafty that won't cost an arm and a leg to ship back? Carvings? <BR>Weavings? Please advise.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 06:31 PM
Teri

I hate to think about how long it has been since I travelled to Greece... 8 yrs?!? Anyway, my husband and I agreed on 2 items: 1) a ceramic, unglazed bird tile, purchased at the Archeological Museum gift shop in Athens, after returning from Santorini where we had the stupendous experience of touring Minoan Thiri and seeing the actual walls where these frescos originated (the Akrotiri site). Also, a woven rug, also from Santorini, made on the island. We carted them both back on the plane, no problem, and treasure them for their quality and the memories.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 06:56 PM
Joanna

There are lots of nice copies of ancient pottery all over Greece. I brought back several small ones that were reasonably cheap and still look great 12 years on. Also the silver there is excellent value in traditional designs, as is the gold (I couldn't afford it back in '87). The nuns at Mystras make lovely woven placemats, etc. with gold thread in them which weren't pricey either.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 07:59 PM
April

I saw some small plates in Athens with lovely designs which I believe came from Crete. They cost approx. $30 Can. and would be breakable of course. The tourist shops have cute tiny painted pots which are very cheap. Nice linens can also be found although some of those are pricey. But if you have any runners to buy for, where better to pick up a marathon sweatshirt? <BR>

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 09:18 PM
Martha B

Greece is still one of the countries where you can get handmade goods at a reasonable price. The towns of Metsovo and Arachova on the mainland do wonderful weavings. If you aren't going there, you can get handicrafts from all over Greece in the Plaka section of Athens.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 01:23 AM
Bill Barr

Years ago I bought a set of four, snmall, coffee cups and saucers in Athens and plenty of Greek coffee. Simple things but they give a lot of pleasure and each time we visit Athens we re-stock our coffee supply. <BR> <BR>Martha do you know the name of the small slim (and tall) pots that I've been making the coffee in all these years? The shopkeeper suggested that the Greek coffee should be made in this style pot so we bought one of those too. Have to say it cost less than a pounds sterling and I've seen them every time I visited that wonderful country. Oh yes, and the first cup of the newly brewed coffee should always be for the guest. <BR> <BR>Bill

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 01:37 AM
Sheila

<BR>Rugs, hangings, lace and leather would be my choices if I wasn't able to bring back the big terracotta pots which are superb

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 05:16 AM
s.fowler

My memories are ancient, helas! [so to speak] But the suggestions you are getting sound right. I remember the shoulder bags made from Greek weaving. They were kind of an "in" thing way back... <BR> <BR>My favorite purchases were the very inexpensive ones. I was on a cruise with a very focused educational aspect. A goup of us would have a "contest" at each stop to see who could get the neatest thing for a dollar or less. We'd compare back on the ship during the "cocktail hour." Among the winners, a small terracotta donkey with jars tied to its back with wire. Looks pretty cycladic to me! The best, however, was the trojan horse my husband found made out of matchsticks [prevously lit!]. About 1 1/2 inches high it still retains a place of honor on our "tchoetcke" shelf twenty years later! <BR> <BR>So my advice is to look for the little special things.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 05:37 AM
elvira

Being a cook, I love to bring back local food products: olive oil, oregano, jars of grape leaves, sea salt. Greek wine and a lemon liqueur called kitron. When I was a kid, my grandmother would bring me dolls from the countries she visited, so I'm always drawn to them.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 05:58 AM
Beth

We have a large collection of decorative plates. I have an unglazed one with a Minoan dolphin design purchased in Athens, and some beautiful geometric designs with gold in them purchased in Crete and other places. We also bought a lace tablecloth from the women lining the road on the way to Lindos on Rhodes. The tiny vases and pots are really cute. And the dolls are lovely if you are interested in that sort of thing. As far as food stuffs, my favorite is the Attica honey which tastes better than any other. If you do want to pay an arma and a leg you can get gold jewelry in nifty Byzantine reproductions.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 08:44 AM
Deb

Although I didn't buy any gold jewelry, my girlfriend did. There is a jewelry design called the Greek key (or something similar)comes in earrings, rings, etc. Very lovely. <BR> <BR>I only brought back a signed poster of a painting by a Santorini artist ($10) and had it framed. Every time I look at that picture of Santorini, I have great memories... <BR> <BR>Deb

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 08:48 AM
elvira

Ah, Beth, I'd forgotten about the honey! I sucked that down within days of returning home, whereas the sea salt is still around. Just wish there was a way to bring back about 200 pints of the yoghurt....

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 02:05 PM
mwg

Bought hand carved wooden spoons with carved folk images on Crete. Also bought a hand painted icon. My wife bought me silver cuff links with the Athenian owl motif. Fisherman's sweaters commonly available.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 03:39 PM
Teri

Deb: The poster! And I forgot! Because it ended up on the wall of a room I seldom use (TV rm., too busy reading the Fodorites) but yes,we also brought back a poster of that year's Epidaurus Festival with list of plays, times, dates, etc. Picked it up FREE from the Greek National Tourist office in Naflion. And now I'm going to move it someplace where I can enjoy, again!

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 08:35 AM
lisa

I bought some beautiful silver handcrafted jewelry when I was there and also a couple of small chessboards (marble/alabaster) that were very nice. A friend bought some gorgeous lace.

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 11:17 AM
Les

We made a deal with one of the trinket shops for a dozen or so of their worry beads (great cheap gifts for most office buddies and simi-close friends. We bought nicer sets of the beads for family and close friends.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:27 PM
April

Topping for 'lala.'