Reload this Page >

Any tips or advice on travel to Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 10:29 PM
CATorres

Hi,<BR><BR>I'm traveling to Greece this September and would love to hear any tips and advice on places to stay, attractions to visit, restaurants to eat at, etc.<BR><BR>Thanks and happy travels!<BR><BR>Christina

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:38 AM
Henry

Do the text search under GREECE then get a couple guide books. Finally, ask some questions here

Old May 29th, 2002, 03:08 AM
meg

Greece is a big country, Christina! What are you interested in? Ancient Greece? - Athens has the most amazing museums and antiquities. Beach life? there's any number of wonderful islands to choose from! Walking- try the Pelion Peninsula for great hiking country

Old May 29th, 2002, 03:16 AM
marko

Drink the ouzo, eat the Kalimari, dance the sirtaki and have fun !

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Grasshopper

Christina, Start with Matt Barrett's website. www.greecetravel.com It's a great resource for Greece info.<BR><BR>Then, my recommendation is that you give Athens a fair shot. A lot of people hate it but it has tremendous value. From there, visit Delphi and Meteora. There are a number of good 2 or 3 day tours from Athens that are very well priced and you will find the experience incredible. <BR><BR>After you have done that, then you can do your Island thing. So many to choose from. Matt has info about most.

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:44 AM
michael

Hi Christina,<BR>Right enough, Greece is a surprisingly big place, with all its islands, mountains, coastline... <BR>I've lived there for half my life and, for some initial pointers, would recommend Zagoria (Epirus, mainland) for hiking and beautiful villages; western Crete for beaches, gorges and stylish coastal towns (plus Minoan sites not far away); or the Peloponnese for a bit of everything (hikes, coastline, ancient sites including Olympia, Mycenae).<BR>A great resource for accommodation and itinerary ideas is www.i-escape.com. Cut and paste this url:<BR><BR>http://www.i-escape.com/destination_guide_results.php?country=Greece<BR><B R>Good luck!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:42 PM
Christina

Thank you all for th ehelpful web sites and suggestions! My fiance and I are going to Greece for our Honeymoon. Most people recommend Mykonos or Santorini. We're going for 3 weeks and so we'd like to see more then just the tourist hotspots. I appreciate your replies!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:26 AM
xxx

I always hesitate to recommend this for fear of giving out what used to be a secret, but one of may favorite spots is Symi. The place has become much more popular in the past 10 years, and in the last 5, even more so. Check out http://www.symivisitor.com it's still a delightful out-of-the-way vacation spot.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Dee

Definitely Hydra, one of the Saronic islands.<BR><BR>Very romantic, small island. No cars or mopeds allowed.<BR><BR>I would love to get married on this island <BR><BR>d.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Jack

Bring K-Y jelly.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 03:21 AM
Caesar

A great restaurant that is a must ..is Ristorant Svago , on the beach at Agios Georgios in Perivolos ...it makes a great change, Italian, great food, great service and perfect location ..has it's own private beach, which is great<BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Christina

Wow, these are all great comments ... very helpful. I've started a list of "must visit locations" and "must avoid locations". Please keep the advice and opinions coming!<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Christina

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Grecophile

Greece is my favorite place in the whole world (and I'm well-traveled) but my advice is to always ask three times, i.e., 3 different people. That goes for questions like "What time does the bus leave?" or "Is there a morning ferry to Naxos?" You'll be surprised how many times the first 2 people give you different answers.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Christina

Thanks for the advice Grecophile. It sounds like quite an adventure. I'm looking forward to interacting with Greek locals and the experiencing the culture!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Kat

Christina,<BR><BR>As an American who moved to Greece out of sheer love for the country, it's hard to recommend the best places without understanding the style and desires of the people traveling.<BR><BR>Mykonos tends to be a party island for singles, especially during high season, which is when you're traveling. There are some secluded spots on the opposite side of the island for romance and privacy, but if shopping and drinking and dancing all night long are your things, go.<BR><BR>Santorini is a very romantic island. Many of my Greek friends tell me to go there for my honeymoon, or go there to meet someone and get married. Certainly, it's a beautiful and scenic island. It's also quite expensive so be prepared to spend money!<BR><BR>At least one day in Athens is a must, in my opinion. While it's not the most beautiful city in the world, it has many ancient sites very close to each other that you can cover in one day--Acropoli, Agora, Temple of Olympian Zeus, PanHellenic Stadium (where the modern Olympics were staged), Lykavitos. Just a little outside Athens is Sounion, the Temple of Poseidon--a very spiritual and peaceful place.<BR><BR>I also recommend a day trip or overnight trip to Napflio, which was the first capital of Greece. You can climb the castle with 999 stairs, have lunch in a flower be-decked tavern and take a walk in town without being bothered by cars. Then, take a swim if you like at the small beach at cliffside.<BR><BR>Each place has its own magic, and different people like different things. Enjoy!<BR><BR>Write me if you have questions.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Christina

Thanks for the reply Kat. I guess what we are looking for is a little of everything (I know, it's a lot to ask!). We want to spend a few days relaxing in the sun, some time visiting historic sites, and some time shopping and going to night clubs. Basically I tend to like the slower pace and my fiance likes exitement and adventure. Several people have also recommended Rhodes...have you been there? Are there any other historic or otherwise "must see" places you would recommend? I appreciate your tme!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Kat

Christine,<BR><BR>I'm going to write you directly and we can communicate that way.