What to bring as a gift to Paris

Old May 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM
as
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to bring as a gift to Paris

I am off to Paris and would like to bring a gift from the USA to some very nice people at the hotel I am staying at.

Any suggestions?
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:34 AM

I have taken wild rice to an American and for the next trip I am thinking maybe Maine Maple Syrup.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
This sort of question comes up all the time. They are hotel staff - you are their customers, not personal friends. Personal gifts aren't even wholly appropriate let alone knowing what they might want/need.

If they have done some special task for you, just give them a generous gratuity.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:45 AM

ditto on what janisj said.
The relationship between service personnel and clients in France is different than in the US - much more formal.
As an example, no wait staff is going to come up to you in Paris and introduce themselves.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:05 AM

AS asked what she might bring. She didn't ask is it appropriate. You don't know what kind of relationship she has with these people, etc.
Why is it that when a question is asked, comments are made that have nothing to do with the original inquiry?
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:07 AM

Agree - hotel staff should be given cash - not some food or tschoke that they may very well have no use for.

This isn't friendly - its just silly.

(If these people are truly friends - rather than staff - you wouldn't be asking us what to bring them - you would know them well enough to pick something they would like.)
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:12 AM
as
Original Poster

Wow! What has happened to this sight.

I asked a simple question and got such
hostile answers.
I hope I never treat "hotel staff"
like some of seem to.

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM

I think sometimes people make comments about something being inappropriate (like this) to warn the person, even if they didn't ask it. Sometimes people might be glad to learn that something just isn't appropriate, if they aren't very experienced with travel or staying in hotels.

I don't have any different relationships with hotel staff in the US than in Europe, so don't think there is any difference. I would never take gifts to hotel staff anywhere.

However, if you really want to, I would suggest something somewhat business-like and impersonal. This would not be foodstuffs, especially not unusual things like maple syrup (unless you personally own or run a maple syrup farm and it has your label on the front). The French like nice pens and stationery, and that might be of use to someone on the job at the front desk or elsewhere.

However, if you really want to take a gift to hotel staff
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:14 AM

I agree that gifts are not generally appropriate for hotel staff, but even if you wanted to ignore that, it would be difficult to give you advice w/o knowing where you're from (to have an idea of perhaps something regional), what sort of budget you had in mind abd who these people are (ie male/female, young/old etc.)
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:22 AM

as: "I asked a simple question and got such hostile answers."

HUH?? I do not see one hostile word (well except for benita)

Please tell me even what single WORD was close to hostile in:

<<This sort of question comes up all the time. They are hotel staff - you are their customers, not personal friends. Personal gifts aren't even wholly appropriate let alone knowing what they might want/need.

If they have done some special task for you, just give them a generous gratuity.>>

They were simple sentences spelling out the situation re the service industry in France. It was an educated comment on whether one should take gifts to Parisien hotels. There was no attack and NOTHING hostile.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:24 AM

CASH
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM
as
Original Poster

Thank you Ripit, I will take your clear and concise advise.

Old May 21st, 2007, 12:06 PM

"Benita is hostile".
Give me a break. I am probably one of the most generous and giving people you will ever have the opportunity to meet. IMHO. I certainly never meant it to be hostile. I am sure if you met me you would enjoy my company as I would enjoy getting to know you.
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM

I meant the only even close to hostile post was your's about "Why is it that when a question is asked, comments are made that have nothing to do with the original inquiry?" As if our recs were off base. It wasn't that hostile - but none of the others were hostile at all.

as asked a question and three off us said it usually isn't done and probably isn't a good idea -
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:18 PM

In fact as, take the cash in american dollars and complete the stereotype.

Why are you asking this when you have been to Europe and France, have opinions about Crillon in Paris, Lyon. etc?
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM

I think people here could stand to be a little more polite when it comes to answering posts. It seems if someone asks a question that isn't worded right, or leaves out certain necessary details, or in this case deals with a decision or procedure that might be deemed as inappropriate, some of the replies can sound somewhat tactless.

I think Christina answered the question with the most diplomacy, tactfully giving as a heads up, yet still answering as's question as to what she could consider bringing as a gift.

as- even though it might be considered 'uncustomary' to give your hotel staff a gift, I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to so, and I think it's a lovely gesture on your part.

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:53 PM
as
Original Poster

Robjame, just because I have been to Europe does not mean I cannot ask a question regarding something I was thinking of doing Asking for other traveler's oppinion is what this site is about.
I did not think Benita was hostile at all.
Also, I appreciate Christina's answer.
I have learned from the answers to my question that a gift is innapprioate and that cash is a beter idea.
You learn something when you ask the question!!
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:53 PM

well written, and so true. Thank you Bloom
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:56 PM
as
Original Poster

Well said Bloom