Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much to budget per day in Paris for food?

Old May 19th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my 3 sons, ages 22,18,16 to Paris for 10 days.I have booked an apartment so breakfast will be there,. but I do not know how much I should expect for light lunch, snacks and dinner for the 4 of us per day. Thanks
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:07 PM
nbujic

at least as much as you would spend eating out where you live( if it is a big city).

Old May 19th, 2007, 07:38 PM

Well, I only have one son, but he eats like a horse in Paris and out-eats me by at least 2X here in the USA, and it depends a whole lot on what kind of places you intend to eat at, but I would guess at least $200 a day, given the current exchange rate.
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:40 AM

It depends where you eat. A filled baguette, cake and drink meal from somewhere like the Paul bakery is around 7 euros, and for me that's enough for lunch. Then you can sit and eat it where you want. For dinner it really depends - you can get a simple meal in brasserie for 10 euros or less but anywhere fancy is going to be pricier.
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:46 AM

There are great, good value meals in Paris but you need to adapt some of your habits - and persuade your sons to watch out for certain costs.

1) Drinks (especially non-alcholic drinks) can be surprisingly expensive in restaurants and cafes. This is because buying a coffee or coke entitles you to occupy the table for practically as long as you want. So you will see prices for 2.50 to 5 euros for a coffee (more for a giant, tourist style cafe au lait), 2.50-5 euros for a small coke or 50 ml bottle of water, etc. Beer is also often expensive. Generally, I discipline myself not to order such things in restaurants and, instead, ask for une carafe d'eau (a pitcher of tap water, which tastes just fine). If you expect to get thirsty during your sightseeing, buy bottled water or soft drinks in a supermarket and carry them with you rather than parking yourself at a cafe for a drink.

2) On the other hand, table wine is often quite inexpensive and usually of a decent quality.

3) The prix fixe menus at restaurants are often a good value. You'll get 2 or 3 courses. The selection of items on the prix fixe is sometimes a bit limited, so my husband and I will sometimes order one 3-course prix fixe and 2 items off the a la carte menu, enabling us to mix and match.

4) There are a couple of chains that, although not the height of fine dining, offer reliable decent food. I must confess to being hooked on Leon de Bruxelles, which serves mussels. You can get a big bowl of mussels, all you can eat frites and a waffle-dessert thing for about 16 euros. That will fill your boys up. Bistro Romain is another chain with decent value food.

5) You could prepare a few meals at home by picking up semi-prepared foods from one of the local markets. Rotisserie chickens are small but tasty and you can get roasted potatoes with them. Add some salad greens and you've got a great meal. (The chickens are small, though, so you might need one and a half to feed the four of you.)

6) There are a lot of Chinese traiteurs (deli-style) restaurants that offer eat-in or take-out food. These seem like a good value but be careful because prices can add up very quickly and you can easily end up spending 10-15 euros per person on relatively small portions.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Thanks for asking this question. We are leaving in mid-June for Paris and I've been curious about the prices for meals.

IrishGirl and Kate - great imfo. Thanks.
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM

I also think you can get a general idea by figuring what it would cost in your own home town if everyone ate out all meals and snacks for 1 day. Put the USD into euro, and you'll have a rough approximation.

I think that will get you closer than how much *I* might spend on myself in Paris.
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You can actually fit food in Paris into whatever your budget is. If your budget is really limited there are things you can do to economize. and if your budget is more generous - then you won't have a problem.

However - the comment above about soft drinks is important. Soft drinks are VERY expensive. If your kids even just drink 2 or 3 day each you will spend a fortune. (hopefully they don't drink a lot of sodas - but if they do, you need a heart-to-heart before your trip)
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:20 PM

On the other hand, I don't think sodas from Ed's Epicerie will break the bank. So if they must have sodas, just don't get them at restaurants.
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM

janisj - maybe you should revise that to say, "sodas at cafes or restaurants are expensive".
From a store or at a bakery, etc they CAN be quite reasonable.
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:53 PM

If you decide to go to an open air market to stock up on food, try to go at in the last hour or half hour that it's open (often around 12-1 pm). You'll get bargains that way. My husband often ends up at our neighbourhood market late on Sunday mornings (more like around 12:30). Today he got two small rotisserie chickens for 8 euros total (last week he got one slightly larger chicken for 8 euros). And they were practically giving away individual lasagnes: I think he got 4 for 5 euros.
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I assumed sjinvests knew I meant in restaurants and cafes since she asked about lunches and dinners. But if not - yes, you can buy soft drinks and store them at the flat.

When you are eating out - soft drinks will cost a lot.
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:41 PM

I guess I was sort of vague.
We found that when we went to a bakery for a baguette sandwich to eat out as a picnic, they often had a "meal deal" which included a soda for an additional >€1. Also vendors were selling sodas for €1 to 1.5 which is a far cry from the terrible prices that janis rightly mentions at the cafes and restaurants.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:54 AM

One way to drastically reduce lunch costs is to picnic. We take a flexible cooler as part of our packing(Stuffed with clothes), freeze a small water bottle and make sandwiches, buy fruit and we even carry our drinks. With 3 big boys, they can share the carrying and after lunch, there isn't much weight. You could even carry more than one pack. Large 1 1.2 litre bottles of coke etc are about 1 1/4euros in a grocery store.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:36 AM

There was a restaurant we found that I went to 5x this trip, just steps from my hotel. Spagetti, a glass of wine, and a salad cost me about 12 - 13 Euros. Going to the Monoprix and/or market to get picnic type food also is a great idea! You have an apartment, so you can go shopping and make food too. The dollar isn't great, but the supermarkets and markets can be really reasonable.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:58 AM

I notice a lot of talk about sodas, but no mention that refills are NOT free. My teenage Girl Scouts nearly had a stroke when they realized they spent as much on coke as on dinner one night. (It was a stressful day for them so I just let them keep ordering refills. I knew it was going to be very costly, but our budget was in good shape. From that point on they wanted water LOL!)
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM

I would budget on 35 Euro per person, (10 for lunch and 25 for dinner) per day and let my sons know what the budget is, ahead of time. They would then have some responsibility for their own choices. Any savings from a lunch or picnic would allow you to splurge later. Note: I subscribe to the philosophy that you should take half as much luggage and twice as much money.

You will certainly be able to find cheaper meals than the budget, but follow the previous advice about drinks, they can surprise you if not prepared.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:29 PM

I just left Paris and our dinners for 4 adults averaged about 100 Euros without wine. We tried to find reasonable meals in places that looked pleasent or had some charm. The advice for the beverages at cafes with or without a meal are right on. Sometimes there are two prices, one for standing or inside and another for sitting or outside. I usually like to get ideas from Fodorites, but Paris is jut too big and I seldom have a plan, Lunches can be half that by having salads or pizza which kids like. With the apt. it would be so easy to make sandwiches and fruit or to take snacks. There are so many parks in Paris where it is a pleasure to take the time and enjoy, and picnicing is a great way. Have a great trip!