Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What time to get to the Eiffel Tower for sunset?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:38 PM
Quinty

Sunset is at 5:45 during my visit. What time should I go to the Eiffel Tower in order to get to the top, and see everything changing from daylight to night?
Is it busy at that time? (in February)

P.S. I asked this question in the other Eiffel Tower post, but I think it's buried in all the responses.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:16 PM
Quinty

Okay, I am going to make my own answer here.
I plan to get to the tower around 4:15. Is that too early or right on time?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:50 PM
x

toppppppppppppppp

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:21 PM
Quinty2

Is this the beginning of craziness? When I start talking (writing) to my other self on the internet???

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:02 PM
Candice

OK Quintie, before you go stark mad, I will tell you that if the sun is due to set at 5:45, getting there at 4:15 is going to give you a lot of time at the tower in February. It will probably be cloudy, so there will be no pink sunset, that is why it is smart to get there early. It will be dark sooner if it is cloudy.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:29 PM
Betsy

Don't schedule your visit for your first day in Paris. On the day prior to your visit to the Tower, observe the light in the city in the late afternoon and plan your visit accordingly.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:04 PM
Quinty

Wow! I got answers!
Betsy, I plan to visit on my 3rd day in Paris, and we're staying at the Hilton Paris, and supposed to get the balcony view, so I imagine we'll get lots of glimpses.
But now I re-read your post and I'm supposed to observe the light, not the tower. Got it.
Is sunset a popular time for people to visit? I plan to go for before/after sunset. I just don't want to miss it and it end up being dark because I had to wait in a long line for the elevator. Does this happen? Or is there no line at that time of year/day, (is that what you meant Candice?)

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:26 PM
Bill

Hi Quinty,
I think that is what she meant, short lines in cold Feb. Of course, you could go over there on day 2 and, if the light and line are ok, go on up. You could go back on the 3rd.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:15 PM
xxx

Get there about 4 pm because there may be a long line going up. Then you will be sure to see the sunset.