Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to pack for weather in Paris/Munich in late April?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:55 PM
mel

We're going to Paris then Munich (touring around Bavaria) at the end of April into early May. Please give me some pointers on what's best to pack in regards to climate/weather & culture. I've heard Paris is more formal than the states...what about Southern Germany? We'll be there for a total of 11 days and don't want to take my closet....

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:35 PM
Tom

Weather and clothes-packing questions seem to be very much influenced by a traveler's perception of how you would pack for a destination that is north or south of where you live. Or big city or more country, compared to where you live.

Pack as you would for a trip that combines New York City and Lancaster, PA. At that time of year.

You actually do need top take some of everything in your closet. Except maybe for shorts that are more than 12 inches above the knee.

Which maybe you shouldn't wear anytime anywhere anyway.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:44 PM
mel

So you're comparing Paris w/ NY and Southern Germany to Lancaster, PA? Yeah, that'll be a mix.

Thanks Tom... guess I'll leave the daisy dukes at home

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:39 PM
John

Hello Mel,

The experience of traveling generally has one thing in common; as one takes more and more trips one packs lighter and lighter, but smarter and smarter.

During your period of travel you may encounter very good to not so good weather. You need to prepared for temperature swings and moisture swings.

Layering fixes the problem, and a coordinated mix of clothing works wonders.

If you are a 'middle-of-the-road' type of person what works in Paris will work in Bavaria and vice versa.

During this period two years ago in Paris and Bavaria we experienced rain, fog, cold, sun and warm weather.

Have a great trip.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Timonthy

Paris can be quite cold in April. pack a light rain coat and wear layers. A small umbrella is very handy too.