Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Man dies from Eiffel Tower 'base jump' in parachute accident

Old May 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see anyone post about this today...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...616568,00.html

"... A Norwegian man was killed on Monday night in an attempt to celebrate his country’s national day by jumping off the second level of the Eiffel Tower with a parachute....Three Norwegians had entered with tourists in the middle of the afternoon and had hidden from guards. One jumped from the 380ft-high second floor of the iron structure, but the 31-year-old man, whose name has not been released, did not clear the first level and died instantly after smashing into the metal beams...."

Old May 17th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
also 4 other Nowegians or maybe the same wanted to do that from another tower.
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Nice to know that's out of the gene pool...although with our luck, he's already reproduced.

The same group (apparently) got kicked out of the Montparnasse tower earlier in the day.
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:59 PM

Let me see if I understand this. Somebody went up on the tower, not realizing that the tower flares out dramatically towards the bottom? How on earth could anyone think he could jump and not hit the structure flaring out below him before he could pull the cord on the chute?

Good comment, Robespierre.

Old May 17th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Base jumping - thrill a minute:

I believe it should be called free-base jumping...

Watch that first step - it's a doozy...

I suppose the surviving Norwegians are heading next to Giza and try one of the pyramids...
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:50 PM
machin

What a stupid thrill. They could have killed someone on that fall.
Many years ago when someone committed suicide, they landed on a tourist who died from that action.

Old May 17th, 2005, 07:10 PM

why do I feel like the only one feeling sorry for this person and his family?
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:40 PM

There's got to be a Norwegian joke or will shortly be one regarding this incident. I truly feel sorry for the fellow but I would bet they were all drinking. Someone who had base jumped before would have made better preparations.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:13 PM

It is not a Norwegian joke, it happened Monday in Paris.

I agree with you Scarlett, the family left behind that has to live through this tragedy. Several years ago I read that for each person that dies there are at least one hundred people that are in mourning. Some more then others of course. Not a joke for sure!
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:24 PM

I wouldn't think the second level would be high enough to allow time for his shute to open? Isn't there a mesh or something to keep people from jumping? Did they climb up from the outside? That's a shame but base jumpers are nuts. It's illegal to jump at Half Dome in Yosemite but a few years ago a group got up to the top and wanted to demonstrate how "safe" it is and that the restrictions against it in various places should be lifted. Well, one of the women's shute failed to open and you can figure out the rest. Don't understand why people do things like that. Glad I wasn't at the Eiffle Tower that day.
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:49 PM
OT

This is not a joke, Base Jumping is a "sport" for a group of, to us, stupid and irresponsible people. There are a few mountains in Norway which are used by base jumpers from all over the world, it is illegal, but they still do it for the thrill and prestige. Sometime it goes wrongs, and they are left dangeling by the paracute ropes along the cliff sides. A very dangerous and courageous rescue operation is required to free them.

Sometimes the jump goes wrong, as in this case, but the guys are still "heroes" in the eyes of their fellow jumpers.

Base jumpers comes from all over the globe, not just Norwegians.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:01 AM

It is a tragic and sad situation for the family and friends of this person who jumped and also for any visitors to the Eiffel Tower who may have witnessed this terrible accident.
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:56 AM

Scarlett, I think much of the ridicule is an instinctive attempt to inhibit further such jumps, and the causing of grief to yet more family members. Given that the motive in jumping is to gain fame and admiration, consider that displays of ridicule and contempt might be more effective deterrents than security guards.

Incidentally, the notoriety of alcohol as an excuse for losing self-control exceeds that drug's actual effects. When inebriated, those not in the habit of reneging on their accountability do not suddenly 'magically' lose their ability to be so accountable, grace a the alcohol imbibed. I might feel marginally sorry for a drunk driver when he is killed, but my sympathy is tempered by the knowledge that while drinking is not a choice for some, to drink does NOT mean that one loses the ability to understand that one shouldn't drive while drunk, or arrogantly break the law at any time. Few of us can claim we've never done anything dumb, and certainly the individual didn't deserve to die in this instance, but the fact remains he endangered others, and future such attempts need to be discouraged.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:25 AM

These idiots have been banned from playing the fool in certain national park areas in Australia because of the problem OT describes - placing rescue personnel in the position of risking their own lives. They keep sneaking back, though, the urge to gratify whatever drives them seemingly stronger than any feeling of social responsibility.

An Australian jumper was killed not so long ago ago after leaping from Shanghai's Jinmao Building. I've got no idea whether he got around to reproducing before that stunt. Of course we feel sorry for those they leave behind, but I think Sue_xx_yy is on the right track - ridicule and contempt may not have much effect, but it's worth a shot.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:49 AM

If you ever saw the grisly results of this kind of "sport" you would not want to try it.

We lived in a highrise across the street from one of Chicago's highest skyscrapers. On several occasions we saw the remains of people who either jumped or were pushed from high up, only to land on the plaza below or to come apart as they bounced off the building's sides. Talk about a bloody mess. I can imagine that the Eiffel Tower really shredded this guy as he scraped his way down. I thought Norwegians were smarter than that.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:57 AM

No - unfortunately there are idiots everywhere.

Naturally one is sorry for the family - but I have no sympathy for the jumper - he made his choice despite knowing the risks. At least he no longer has the potential to injure anyone else.
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:20 AM

I agree the guy was an idiot, though some of us have made very silly or risky decisions at one time or another and very luckily, have come through unscathed. I have to admit that jumping off the Eiffel Tower wasn't ever on my list.
I do feel sorry for the family, and for
any unnecessary death. One presumes he didn't wake up that morning planning on dying.
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:24 AM
OT

To answer USNR, - yes, most of us Norwegians are smarter than that, but for some human beings, regardsless of nationality, this extreme and dangerous sportis like a drug.

This man, and 3 other people with him, were first turned away from Montparnasse tower earlier in the day.
They then went up to the top of the Eiffel Tower, but due to the security could not make the jump. They then went down to the lower level. According to the Norwegian newspapers, this man, jumped, but did not adjust his parachute for a shorter jump than originally planned, which proved fatal.

Old May 18th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Somebody look at this drawing, and tell me how a parachutist jumping from the 2nd floor could avoid colliding with the 1st:

http://tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/fr/documentation/structure/page/g_chiffres_1.html

Even if he were using a static line, the chute wouldn't deploy in that vertical distance...and jumping far enough out to clear the lower level would require a standing broad jump of 30 feet (use those 11m dimensions at the left as a scale).

This guy had a lot more guts than brains.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Pun intended?

Sorry for the morbid humor, folks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -