Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class train in Austria and Switzerland?

Search

What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class train in Austria and Switzerland?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am travelling in August and have two train trips to book. One is between Milan and Lucerne and the other between Lucerne and Salzburg. I am wondering what the difference is between 1st class and 2nd class train travel before I book my tickets.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM
P_M

The very first question I ever posted to this board was to ask if it's worth the extra cost for first class on Swiss trains. The general concensus was no. Subsequently I went second class which was fine and very comfy. Sorry I can't compare it to first class, as I never used that.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:50 PM

The first class seats are larger. Both first class and second class seats occur on the same trains. They both get there at the same time.

On regular trains, it is definitely not worth the difference.

Occasionally, if you want to travel by super fast TGV type trains, there will be a supplement. Those trains are faster, but personally I do not have experience with the Swiss or Austrian train system and do not know about their high speed trains. I have traveled them in France, Italy and Germany. Depending on how long your journey is, how much you want to spend and how fast you want to get there, sometimes the high speed trains are worth it and sometimes they are not.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM

To answer your question--only that the 1st class ticket will releave you of carrying so much money in your wallet.
Vera
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:31 PM
kr

Major difference is if the train is really crowded second class can be a drag.

You can always upgrade if thats the case, I only had to do that once, I find second class is fine.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter here. I usually fine that first class train travel is worth it.

Not only are the seats larger, it's generally less crowded, the cabins are closer to exits at the stations, there's more storage for luggage, cabins are less crowded, the seats are cleaner or newer or otherwise nicer, there's some type of refreshment service, the cabin staff is more attentive, etc. I could go on.

The extras add up especially if you've been on the road for awhile, delayed, traveling with a lot of luggage, etc. The difference in price usually isn't a bank breaker, so for me, it's usually a no brainer.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 05:44 PM

We took several boat rides in Switzerland, and going 1st class was well worth the extra expense -- less crowded, better service. We did take a couple of ferries where the 2nd class was mobbed, and I was thankful that I had booked 1st class -- I heard it right here on Fodors!!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 06:23 PM

I have ridden both first class and second class in Austria. I prefer class for the above mentioned reasons.

In Switzerland, I have not ridden 1st class, but I have never seen any reason to do so.

Trains between Zürich and Salzburg are operated by the Austrian National rail system. The one I rode had the old fashioned type of first class car with walled compartments of 6 seats each, and an aisle outside of the compartments. We could slide the door shut, and enjoy a little more privacy that way.

In Germany, I saw little advantage to going first class on the train from Munich to Zürich.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 06:31 PM

I've ridden first class and second class and...seats are a little wider. Or maybe they seem wider because there are just less people in there?
I think it's better to say that you just have more space in first class and it's quieter.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think there are a few differences.

The main difference may be the people you encounter. If you're unlucky, you may feel the trip would have been more pleasant in 1st class.

Also, we just returned from Europe and I found air conditioning to be unpredictable on 2nd class cars.

Some had it and others really didn't.

We were convinced by the travel agency (Cedok) to buy 2nd class from Prague to Budapest instead of first.

While the seats and temperature were fine, the division between smoking and non-smoking on this particular train was really not very acceptable. It was a plastic divider about 1/3 of the way down the car with the aisle open. A lot of good that did.

As luck would have it our reserved seats were the last ones before the smoking section.

Five rather disgusting (both in appearnace and noisy behaviour) women kept walking from the smoking section (where they smoked) throughout the train attempting to sell perfume. I'm not sure what smelled more.

I'm glad there were a lot of empty seats and we were able to move to the other end of the car and avoid the smell and smoke.