Reload this Page >

Swiss Train: 1st or 2nd class?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Sue

We will be arriving in Geneva and going to Aigle, then possible day trips around Switzerland over a week. What is the advantage of 1st class over 2nd class, if any?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Tamara

Hi Sue,<BR><BR>I am going to visit Switzerland in a few weeks and am interested in hearing about the trains. If you receive a reply, please let me know what you find out. <BR><BR>I hope you have a wonderful time!<BR><BR>Tamara

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Grasshopper

I splurged last summer and took 1st class cars on my trip to Switzerland. The advantages as I saw them, aside from a slightly roomier, more comfortable seat (and 2nd class is adequate in that perspective)was that I didn't have a bunch of kids in my car. Also, the 2nd class cars seemed very full and mine were not.<BR><BR>That said, the same scenery went by outside.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Nancy

I am currently living in Switzerland. In my experience there is little difference in seats or leg room between 1st and 2nd class on the high speed intercity trains. The slight advantage to 1st class is that you can reserve a particular seat. If you are traveling with a large group during high season (summer, ski weekends) that can be nice to make sure you all get seats together. If you don't need a group of seats together, I don't think paying for 1st class is worth it. All the trains are clean and safe and as you can imagine, they run pretty much exactly on time! You can take a bicycle on board at least one car in every train. You can also rent bicycles at most train stations for a very low fee (generally in the summer only). Many of the inter city trains are double deckers, do go upstairs for great views!<BR><BR>On local trains, first class trains are usually a bit newer, but again I don't think it is worth the price difference.. I am guessing you will mostly be on intercity trains as opposed to local/commuter trains. <BR> <BR>A very good website for train schedules and fares is SBB.ch, the Swiss Railways site. <BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Ben Haines

In saloon coaches, first class has two seats on one side of the corridor and one on the other. Second class has two on either side. So first has more space, but I find second comfortable even for long journeys.<BR><BR>Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Bob Brown

If the train is Swiss, that is, it is owned and operated by the federal system, I rided 2nd class. I have always been comfortable enough in 2nd and never thought the extra cost reaped a corresponding reward.<BR>On the other hand, we took the Maria Theresia from Z&uuml;rich to Vienna. It is an Austrian train, and I opted for the extra cost of first class. It gave me more leg room and an almost empty compartment.<BR>The same was true last year on the Z&uuml;rich to Munich run; it is a German train and first class was more comfortable. But, to repeat, if it is an SBB train, second class is usually good enough.<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Lisa

You can also reserve a seat in the second class swiss trains. I would recommend that in the summer. It does not cost much to reserve the seats.<BR><BR>First class within Switz. is rarely worth the price.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Mel K

Sue -<BR><BR>Second class is perfectly fine - we went first class on our first trip, but have gone second class every trip since (six and counting...)<BR> <BR>To Tamara -<BR><BR>Swiss trains are the most efficient in the world - it's incredibly easy to get around in the country and traveling by train is a great way to see the countryside.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:45 PM
William

We decided on second class because it is reported to be more social. First class is reported to be more of a working businessman ambience.