Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First & second class trains - what is difference?

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
We are traveling from Rome to Florence to Venice to CT to Rome in the last half of March. What is the difference between first & second class train travel? Is it worth it to go first class? I am somewhat cheap, but if I have to travel with sheep & goats in 2nd class, I would spring for 1st class. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 05:14 AM

There are no sheep or goats on the trains - only people. Second class is fine for most people. In first class the seats are more roomy and usually more comfy - but a major difference is that it is usually less crowded and you can often spread out over several seats - in second class there are usually many more people and you'll get to use only your own seat.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 05:27 AM

It depends on the train. Sometimes first class is a compartment for 6 people, and in my experience are rarely full. Some trains have a separate car for first class, the seats are bigger and usually more comfortable. And I have found it to be quieter. You'll need to check out the type of train, the high-speed trains are usually OK for 2nd class for a short trip. One recommendation, if you prefer not to be around cigarette smoke, request that type of car when you make reservations. My general rule is that if the ride is more than 3 hours, I want to be in a comfortable, so I opt for first class.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 05:42 AM

For the trips you plan, there are a few levels of train type to consider.

The ES train is the fastest and most expensive. It has both first and second class. Both types of class have nicer cars and seats than an IC train. Many here would say that second class on and ES is perfectly fine--better than coach on an airplane. When you buy a ticket, you aurtomatically have a reservd seat.

The IC train makes a few more stops and costs less. It has both first and second class. Some trains are older. First class is definitely nicer and less crowded than second and may have ariconditioning. Spring for first class on an IC--it will be less crowded and more comfortable. Reservations are optional, so you may have to search for a seat or stand if you don't pay extra to reserve.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Second class has no sheep or goats, but does have a somewhat more animated group than first class where you'll find the businessmen and other up-scale passengers. Pet dogs can ride in either 1st or 2nd.
www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm has a good introduction to using the trains.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I have been to Europe twice, but we rented a car both times.
Jim L.