Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone walked around Rome in flip flops??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there will be a LOT of walking in Rome. I have such comfortable flip flops. Are they comfortable to walk around in for a longer time too??? Or are they mainly for short distance walking?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:38 PM

i don't know but aussies travelling to europe seem to wear them everywhere...and with about 50 kg of rucksack strapped on their backs and 20 more in the front. they can't be that bad.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Hey, that's a good point! I just find them so comfortable and since I'll be doing a lot of walking in Rome. I might as well bring them
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 02:04 AM

I've worn both my Target cheapo flip-flops and my Birkenstocks on several trips with lots of walking and found they were quite fine. A word of warning though - your feet will get FLITHY! I also broke a cheap flip flop tripping on a cobblestone in Galway - good thing it was on a side street since I bit the pavement That said, I'm taking my flops to Italy next week.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 02:38 AM

I still remember a day of Rome in flip flops years ago. Not only were my feet filthy, my legs were filthy almost up to my knees under my wide leg slacks.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 02:57 AM

Schnookies, have you thought about doing a test-run? ie pick a day where you'll be doing a lot of walking around your home town and see how your feet go. That might help you answer your question about whether or not they are comfortable for long walks. Also consider the type of walking you'll be doing in Rome ie lots of steps to climb towers etc might not be as easy in flip-flops.

You might also need to find out if they are acceptable for the places you want to visit. Not all places allow flip-flops (I've seen this happen to a girl on a bus tour once, even though hers were fashionable flip-flops and not just the plain rubber style). The churches have certain dress codes for women, which includes covering your shoulders and not wearing shorts or a short skirt, so it is possible they may also preclude flip-flops - you'll need to check.

Personally, I can't stand the things and I think the latest fashion craze with them is just awful. I think flip-flops (or thongs as they are known in my part of the world) should be kept to the beach or around the house. But each to their own, however I will be one Aussie who gets around Europe in a pair of sensible and comfortable walking shoes.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:30 AM
ira

Dear Schnook

Have you ever considered walking for a long time in your flip flops to find out for yourself?

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I took a small group to Rome in 2003 and 3 of them wore flip flops everyday. This was during the heat wave of 2003. One was diabetic and her shoes had caused a blister, so she wore a pair of my daughter's flip flops the rest of the trip. I wore Teva sandals most of time and we all had trouble getting the dirt off our feet at night.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 05:21 AM

I've said this a number of times- I wear nothing but flip-flops all over the world, but particularly Rome, Venice, in the summer, all day, every day (I bring at least 3 pair along, this last trip, 4- you have to have a pair to wear in your hotel room/apartment as well).

Palazzo, fancy restaurant-looks from the locals (when I wear them in November in Budapest into a restaurant for breakfast-it wasn't cold out) it doesn't matter-they are on my feet.

Last August in Rome I could not have worn anything else- my feet were tired, but no pain, no blisters, no rubbing. Mine have a two inch cushiony rubber footbed, so they are quite comfortable-and they look good too.

You'd be crazy not to take them.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 05:44 AM

I wore my reef flip flops on a 2 week trip to Italy and my feet never ached at all. I am hoping when i return in October it will not be too cold to wear them - i recomend them to everyone!!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 05:51 AM

schnookies

I think you may have set some kind of posting record as you around 10 current threads going on the USA and Europe board.

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:10 AM

I have seen monks in Rome wearing flip flops.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

OK, I'm bringing my flops....!I apologize for all my questions! You'll get rid of me tomorrow when I leave
I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible. Can you tell I love this board?? With all this knowledge I hope I'll be back and be able to help other people like myself
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I wear my Birkenstocks everywhere and all the time except in a storm. I wear them with black socks, except when I'm wearing shorts. In Germany Birkenstocks are half of the US price. You might want to shop for a pair in Rome.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:50 AM

I was aghast at the "flipflop wardrobe" my DD has managed to amass at college:

1. Asian-inspired with a footbed of some kind of woven grass
2. leather
3. corduroy
4. glitter (no possible description!)
5. braided plastic tubing
6. "jelly" clear plastic in every color of the rainbow, with decorative flowered footbeds
7. kitten-heeled black (for dressy occasions)
8. and finally, a pair of plain rubber flops, for the shower.

I guess that, truly, there is a pair for any outfit, for all seasons, and I increasingly see them worn everywhere---even at church. God has not yet sent down lightning bolts on the offenders at the communion rail, so I interpret that to mean they are okay.

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:51 AM

..I think flip flops belong poolside or at the beach.end of comment!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Well if flipflops are suitable to wear to the White House....

I wear Clarkes flipflops at home, they are so comfortable. But I can only imagine how filthy ones feet would get wearing them in Rome. I do always pack a pair of flipflops instead of slippers and I do wear them in small cities in Italy.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:59 AM
amaclise

...or worn to the White House like the Northwestern University woman's lacrosse team.

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:07 AM

I can't imagine flipflops in Rome, but if you want to try it, have a backup pair of good walking shoes.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:21 PM

I think that is what Julius Caeser wore... or did he just have roman sandals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -