Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you think about these hotels in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2013, 01:44 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to Paris in May, 2014

I am considering these hotels:

Hotel Europe St. Severin, http://www.hoteleurope.net/

Hotel Saint Jacques, www.paris-hotel-stjacques.com

Hotel Relais St Sulpice, www.relais-saint-sulpice.com/en/

They have what I need as far as A/C, lift, WiFi, and price.
I just need to decide on ONE of them.

Has anyone stayed at any of them?
Any pro/con as to quality of hotel, location, etc?

Thanks for your input.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM

Haven't stayed at at Jacques,but a friend did and she gave it high marks. We stay frequently at the Minerve further along Rue des Ecoles and I love the location. Great bus transport and close to 2 metro lines. Good cafes and services nearby.And 2 excellent restaurants Bistro de Gastronomes and Buisson Ardent. We sre planning to stay there on our next trip!
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 02:37 PM

All of those have received very nice reviews, and not just on TripAdvisor (which I'm staring to disbelieve as a resource). Remember that there are no standardized rooms in France, so experiences with different rooms vary.

I am always inclined to go with the hotel that is
a) closest to the Seine and
b) closest to the BEST and most convenient Metro/RER line
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 02:52 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Thanks...but I don't know how to tell which is the BEST/most convenient Metro/RER.

Any help there?

As far as close to the Seine, it's Hotel Europe St. Severin then St Jacques. On a map both are near a Metro but I don't know which one.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 03:10 PM

Hotel Europe St. Severin is most convenient to Metro & RER and is also closest to the river/islands.

That said - all three hotels are VERY central and convenient to Metro, tourist sites, shopping, restaurants, cafes, etc. You'll have a wonderful stay whichever you choose.

They are each 5 minutes walk or less from any of the other two.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 03:19 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll probably pick a name from a hat! LOL
I am starting to obsess too much...
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 03:20 PM

If you just get a map of the Metro - which you will need there anyway - you can figure out which stations/lines each hotel is closest to.

Any decent book store - or Amazon if necessary - should have a good large size metro map.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 03:49 PM

Heck, just do a Google map search and then look at walking view from one to the other and to their Metro stations. That's how I checked out the various apartments my daughter was considering for her four months in Paris (although we almost rejected the apartment she actually ended up choosing because of a shady looking bar near the bottom entrance, so looks can certainly be deceiving).

But I totally agree that all three are pretty darn well located anyway.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 04:24 PM

We stayed at the St Jacques this summer and really liked it. Great location, lots of nearby restaurants, cafes, etc. easy walk to Notre Dame and metro close by. I would be happy to stay there again.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 06:09 PM
TAW
Original Poster

How were the bathrooms there? Specifically the shower...was it an enclosed shower or shower over tub or the hand-held hose in the tub?
Thanks
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Google Earth the locations of each, the Seine will be obvious, and you should have a corresponding Metro map to find nearest station as they appear on your screen. Everyone needs to consult a Plan de Paris with every single street in every single arondissment shown. Believe they are in libraries or bookstores?
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 08:13 PM

DH and I stayed at the St Jacques last Fall. We liked it a lot. Our bathroom had a nice shower stall. Relatively new, good water pressure, not too small.

The hotel is in a great little area of restaurants, markets and pubs. We really like Le Petite Prince for dinner, just up the block. And ZigZag for drinks, up the street on the corner. A fun neighborhood with a young vibe.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 09:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is essentially no difference between them Honest. The are very near each other and very similar in just about all respects. Don't obsess - just pick one.

I'd personally probably pick Europe St. Severin simply because it is a bit closer to the river - but would happily stay at any of them.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 12:19 AM

Personally, my order would be Hotel Relais St. Suplice, Hotel Europe St. Severin, and Hotel St. Jacques. This is my personal location choice.

You can check my hotel thread as these three might have been discussed, but I can't remember, off the top of my head, if they were or weren't discussed.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...

Jump to the bottom of the thread and then scroll up to Dec 31,2010. In that section, I have categorized recommended hotels, by district, and have provided websites. If the hotels appear in the section where I've provided the websites, then they were discussed in the thread.

Happy Travels!
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 02:53 AM

Our bathroom at St J was small but very nice, and yes we had an enclosed shower. I would be sure to ask for that wherever you go, if that is important to you.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 06:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Just a thought---
The streets right around St. Sulpice aren't the most picturesque. We stayed at Hotel Henry IV around the corner from Relais St. Sulpice. Lots of tour buses for the church parked around and sort of junky shops and take away places.

Our hotel was actually very nice but we didn't like the area. It was very safe and close to everything just not our favorite location.

For reference--we've been to Paris 9 times and spend much of our time in the St. Germain.

St. Severin--really close to everything in a busy area. Lots of restaurants & shops and, best of all, close to the river.

St. Jacques---looks good, but we like to walk around the river area at night with all the activity and this is a bit out of the way for us.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 06:41 AM

We liked being at the St Jacques, to be away from the hustle and bustle of the Boulevard. It is close enough to walk everywhere, but far enough to be quiet.

Which hotel will give you the best value?
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 07:40 AM

TAW: Whichever one of the three that you choose, you'll be fine. Although, I've stayed all over Paris regularly since 1976, my personal choice of areas/locations are the 6th, the 10th, and the 19th. However, I've stayed the most in the 6th.

Happy Travels!