Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Metro Cambronne area 15e arrondi. Paris???

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone here stayed near this area? Good area? Transportation? especially buses?

We found an apartment there but want to be sure of it being a good neighborhood.

Any info would be appreciated.

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM

I haven't stayed exactly right around that particular metro, but elsewhere in the 15th and I'm rather familiar with it. You already know about the metro, and that's a pretty convenient line. Also, it's only a few blocks walk over to Segur which is the line going right to St Germain.

There are not tons of buses, no, there is basically only one line (no. 80) but it's a good one -- goes down bd de Grenelle by Motte-Picquet then Ecole Militaire and over to the Champs-Elysees around FDR metro and then the Opera and gare St Lazare and all the way to Montmartre. The other way down to Convention/Pte de Versailles.

If you like the apt and it's specific location pleases you in terms of where it is on a street, etc, I wouldn't worry about transportation options, I think they are fine.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Most of the 15th is considered to be an upper middle class arrondissement. It is fine for tourists.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...

Hubby has a knee replacement and we plan on using buses a lot. We are looking at an apartment here but also some of the other ones we are looking at are in different areas. It's hard to choose.

We have this one, one is located near Montparnasse Tower, another near Rue Grenelle and Rue Bosquet in the 7th and the other one is near Bir-Hakeim Metro stop...

I am torn...Must investigate more...I just really want to get it right. I am probable putting too much stress on myself about this decision...I know, I will be in Paris...all the rest is gravy. LOL
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM

Hi, if I recall correctly the Cambronne metro station has a high stairs up, because the metro there is like an elevated train. There might be an elevator but I never took it.
I recall this area when we used to take our children to Paris and stayed in the Arcade Cambronne HOtel that we used to call the poor people 's Sheraton. It was BTW a great choice for families with rooms for 2 or 3 persons at very good rates and a buffet breakfast for very little money. Usually we took two, or three rooms....those were different times from today.
Gone are those days...has anyone know what happened to the Arcade Cambronne...>?
Most of the time we made correspondence in la Motte-Picquet Grenelle with line 8 and also took often the 60 bus. This is a great bus, to the upper end takes you to Montmartre and there you can catch the Navette a little bus that finds it way through the narrow alleys in Montmartre.

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 10:10 PM

Arcade hotels have all become Ibis hotels.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 12:10 AM

We much prefer the buses to the metro, as metro stations have lots of stairs. As mentioned, there are plenty of stairs at Cambronne.

As for rue de Grenelle and rue Bosquet, it depends on the exact address. There are plenty of bus routes in the 7th. And both metro stations (Ecole Militaire and La Tour Maubourg) have only one flight of stairs down and escalators out. Bus 80 runs along ave Bosquet (as mentioned, an excellent route with connections to all over). And Bus 69 runs west on Grenelle, but east on Saint-Dominique. These streets are not that far apart, all depending on the knee condition. And, you can always ride Bus 69 to Rapp/St Dominique/Bourdonnais to connect (at least three lines intersect there), though an additional fare may be involved, depending on your direction. One nice thing about that neighborhood, though, it that everything you could possibly need is within steps and you'd be surrounded by dining and food shopping opportunities of all sorts.

Bir Hakeim is a little chancy. Much would depend on distance from the station, which is also full of stairs. They've redone the station and added an elevator, but I've heard that it's often not working.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 03:47 AM

Thank you Kerouac, and I also agree with djkbooks the 69 bus is also great and can be used to go to many must go places like Place de Vosges in the Marais, Notre Dame, Tour Eifell, Les Invalides, Louvre and much more. The out going and the in coming routes are different as said. The 7 th is a wonderful place to be with the market at Rue Cler and many little afordable bistros and restaurants.It is an elegant neighborhood very Parisian.
Taking buses is a pleasure in Paris, the information available in the bus stops is very usueful and since the name of the stop is displayed prominently it makes very easy to use buses. Also inside the bus there is a big map with the route and names of stops. The French are superb for organizing things like bus riding.Please note than Sundays is another story ,very few buses are on the streets.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 05:07 AM

Just for the record the buses I wish to mentioned are the 69 and the 80. I believe I am right now the 80 is the bus that goes all the way to Montmartre and has a great route convenient to Place Cambronne.