France experts--Pardies and Roussillon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband will be in France, probably mid-November, on business in the areas of Pardies and Roussillon.

He'd like suggestions concerning sight-seeing options in or within short distances of both. He'll have a car but not a lot of time except perhaps over a weekend.

Also any other insights or suggestions about these areas would be appreciated. He's probably at the "mercy" of business travel agent for hotel arrangements, but dining suggestions would be great and also anything about traffic/travel/roads, etc.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Still hoping for some feedback on this for my DH, so I'll top this up for an evening!
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Are you sure that is where your husband will be staying? Admittedly, my French geography isn't that good, but Google shows Pardies as a tiny village in Aquitaine, and Languedoc- Roussillon as a region of France along the Med. Will he be traveling between the two?
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Yes; his company has sites in both of these towns; no set plans yet.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Hi Texasbookworm,

I think we need a bit more info here to help you.

I am guessing your husband will be visiting Pardies in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques départment of France. This is towards the south west corner of the country. The Languedoc- Roussillon is, as nukesafe points out, another départment (or region) across on the East coast.

Pardies is in the Basque country and quite rural. Hunting is a popular pastime!

I have only passed through the area in summer but, if coming from Teas, your husband should expect it to very possibly be wet, and cold in November. Snow is not an impossibility in November.

Pau is the nearest town and worth a visit. It has a famous chateau and was the birth place of the 16C French Henry VI and Napoleon used it as his holiday home. There are nice places to eat in Pau, a mixture of French and Spanish hearty food and worth seeking a traditional restaurant. There are other interesting chateaus and castles nearby too, so worth visiting the local tourist board's website.

Roads are good, and will be quiet at that time of year so it is easy to get around by car.

If you could find out the name of the town that your husband is staying in

If you could find a name of the town in the Languedoc- Roussillon that your husband is staying in, then I could probably help more.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Or, do you mean Roussillon in Provence?
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Actually, these are 2 trips for him; he'll be based in Frankfurt and will be coming to France twice. He will be staying in Pau when he attends to his Pardies business. He will be flying into Lyon when he goes to Roussillon.

So--who else has some helpful suggestions for him, for things to sightsee, for these two separate trips (I didn't clarify at first that he's not traveling between these two places, but to these two places with only a little free time for any sightseeing in each area.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to say--our French geography is abyssmal--he just knows that it's the Roussillon near Lyon--is that Provence? (ok, I'm also being too lazy to get out a map!)
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Well, not to be snippy, but if you are too lazy to get out a map, why should be eager to help you?

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM

I'm afraid I agree with nukesafe that actually he, not you necessarily, might want to be a bit interested in where he's going--tends to impress the local clients if you are somewaht geographically and culturally aware and if you are an American, the bar is pretty low in terms of expectatons. I speak from 25 years' experience working with the European market.

It so happens that Pau (pronounced as in so) is about 45 minutes from where we will be moving in six months. It is a very interesting town (old town, chateau, etc.) If he is of a relgious bent, which I am not so can't comment, he will be close to Lourdes. Also, very close to the Pyrenees, Biarritz, St. Jean de Luz.

Lonely Planet France guide has a good write-up on Pau, not sure whether Fodor's does.

Roussillon is a small town in Provence. Languedoc-Roussillon is a region within France, hence the confusion there. I suspect if he says he's going to Roussillon, he means the town in Provence. I don't know Rousillon in particular, but there are many good threads on Provence and probably something on Roussillon in this forum.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM

I did find a link that called Roussillon one of the 15 beautiful villages in France. Tiny little place with ochre mines nearby.

http://www.francethisway.com/mbv-roussillon.php

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM

Here is Fodor's link that talks about restaurants in Roussillon:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35150548

Search yourself and you shall find more.

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Nukesafe--Thanks. I have the same reaction, usually, on the forum, so I'm not offended by "snippy"! We're usually big map users, but in the midst of an over-busy-end-of-the-week, I just tossed this question out hoping for some general input for him. Thanks again.