Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you recommend: Toledo, Segovia, Cordoba, Granada ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to fit as much as we can in 14 full days in Spain.
We are visiting Madrid, Seville, Barcelona and it looks so hard to choose 2 or max 3 other cities from the list...
Can we cover Granada in one full day (2 nights) ?
Can we make day trips to Toledo, Segovia, Cordova ?
Thank you all helping me with this trip...
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:58 PM

We are trying to fit as much as we can in 14 full days in Spain.
We are visiting Madrid, Seville, Barcelona and it looks so hard to choose 2 or max 3 other cities from the list...

Madid is dull. Spensd as little time there as possible.

Barcelona is somewhat off the beaten path. In 2 weeks, stick to Madrid area and Andalucia.

Can we cover Granada in one full day (2 nights) ? Yes. Granada is not great. You go there to see the Alhambra, the best sight in Spain, and then leave.

Can we make day trips to Toledo, Segovia, Cordova ? Yes, but I would spend overnight in Toledo and would go from Madrid to Cordoba on the AVE. Spend the day and then continue on the AVE to Seville.

Also don't miss Ronda and Nerja

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Of your list I would do Granada (1 full day and 2 nights is more than enough for your purposes) and Segovia (my favorite place to visit in the world).

Imhornet makes some good points, but Madrid is not dull (any place can be dull if you decide it will be), Barcelona is not to be missed, and Nerja is an out of the way and retarded place to spend a day when there are so many better places right on your path.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM

And Granada is a beautiful city, sure the alhambra is the most important thing to see and you don't have time for more, but the city is a lot more than the alhambra.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:24 PM

Of the towns you mention, I would pick Segovia, although the others are wonderful as well. I also don't think "Madrid" is the least bit boring, especially if you're an artlover--don't miss the Prado and Sofia, even though I don't love it as much as Seville and Barcelona.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:34 AM

You have to understand that some people are harder to "amuse" than others and if you read their responses to toher posts you'll understand.

To answer your questions more specifically:

The majority of people who go to Granada go there to see the Alhambra and that you can do in one full day. The city itself has more to offer but I suspect the majority of people ignore it unfortunately.

If you have been in Seville (a lot of people who take the AVE from Madrid to Seville get off in Cordoba to see the main sites there and then continue on the same day to Seville) you are going to see some familiar interiors once you see the Alhambra.

IMO the main sights in Seville are the cathedral and the Alcazar and you could do both of those in one long day if you wanted to. A lot of people will say you can spend several days in Seville but I found a couple of days to be plenty.

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:46 AM

We based our holiday in Madrid a comapct city with much to see and do. A must is a day trip to Toledo, it is just enough, we took the high speed train from Madrid, it was a full day. The Renfe train service iThe Renfe train service is excellent,the internet booking is the way to go, your first ticket need to be picked up from the station with presentation of your passport, after that you just print them out yourself's, if you wish.
Barcelona, a beautiful city,allow at least 4 days and NIGHTS.
Valencia, we went for three days, and filled them completly. A vist to the Americas Cup Villiage was a must as we are Kiwis.
Granada, from feed-back from others we are not going to waste our time.
Segovia - yes
Leon - Yes
We intend to go to Northern and Southern Spain and are still planning our our accomadation etc. Have Fun
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Granada is no way a waste of time, IMO. We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed all our time there. You need to spend at least one night so that you can see the alhambra by night as well as by day. Really it should not be missed. We had booked a day visit, and went the night before on a whim and it really was a highlight of our trip.
so to get the best out of your visit, two nights and one day in Granada would be ideal. The second nigt you could spend eating tapas or going to a flamenco show, or both!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 03:57 PM

I did Toledo and Segovia as day trips (using the train) from Madrid and felt that I saw most everything that I wanted to. I would allow 2 full days in Granada.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM

The first time I visited Spain I visited Madrid (with a day trip to Sevilla), Barcelona (with a day trip to Montserrat) Sevilla (with a day trip to Cordoba) and Granada (returning to Madrid by air.)

I thought spending the night in Granada was really the highlight of my trip, because it enabled me to take a night tour of the Alhambra, which is one of the top 5 memorable experiences I have had as a traveler. I stayed at the Parador, but equally good in terms of seeing the Alhambra would be to stay at Hotel America.

I loved glamouroous Madrid and most especially the Prado and other art treasures (although not so much the Royal Palace, but I'm not a Palace type). I was surprised at how much I liked Toledo, which is simply wonderful. I took a day trip from Madrid, which is easy, but could have easily spent the night there -- but that is extravagant.

If you are not big museum fans or food hounds, I think you can limit your time in Madrid to make room for other things.

Personally, I have never warmed up to Barcelona, but I am in the tiniest minority there. I think 2 days in Barcelona is plenty for sightseeing, but if you want to enjoy the beach and party atmosphere instead of rushing around to sights, then 3 days (or more) is probably advisable. My favorite sight in Barcelona is the the Palau de la Musica Catalunya, which I urge you to consider seeing.

The mosque in Cordoba is a world-class sight and I am so glad I saw it. It's indescribably beautiful. It is an easy day trip by train from Sevilla. I felt 2 days was enough for Sevilla, but others might disagree.

Have a great time. The late dinner hour in Spain is both a pain and an advantage for tourists!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:32 PM

Nessundorma,

You and I must be the only people in the planet that have "never warmed up to Barcelona". And after my recent experience last July 28th at the Prat airport I feel even colder to the prospect of ever returning there.

Coro,

I disagree with the assesment of Madrid. It's a beautiful city, great night life and museums. Plus you can easily do day trips from there. I ahve done Segovia ( my favorite as well), Toledo anhd Avila. Madrid itself merits a couple of days .
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:27 PM

cruiseluv,

I'm working on a theory. The world is divided into two kinds of people: Those who love San Francisco, Boston and Barcelona, and those who love New York, Madrid and -- I can't figure out that 3rd city. Tokyo? Milano?

Anyway, someone tried to rob me in Barcelona and someone succeeded in robbing my husband, and that may have soured my view even though I tried to put it out of my mind. But I'm not much of a party person, and Barcelona seemed to me a party town, with too many wannabe cool holidaymakers. Food is great in Barcelona and so are the people. But here's the catch: I can't stand Gaudi.

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:47 PM

Nessundorma,

There might be some merit to your theory. Maybe the 3rd city is Rome???

This last time ( my 3rd) I concentrated on the Gaudi stuff as I had not seen it before ( I thought that's what I was lacking). I found it interesting but not something I would care to see again.
I must admit that the worry I had about the airport situation affected my experience in Barcelona this time. And of course, spending those 14 hrs the next day in the airport in subhuman conditions didn't do anything to raise my opinion of the city.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:09 PM

It could be Roma. It's an extremely seductive city I think. No other city makes me yearn for it like Roma.

I actually went to Barcelona to see if Gaudi's work was better than what I'd judged from photographs -- which can often be the case. I'm afraid firsthand experience of it didn't make me a Gaudi fan.

I'll have to click on your screen name to read about your experiences at Prat. I deliberately went back to Barcelona on my last visit to Spain to see if I might like it better when I wan't being robbed. Unfortunately, on my way in, I got stuck on an un-airconditioned train from the airport that dumped me several stops short of my destintation, so once again we were off to a bad start.

I do love Madrid.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:18 AM

ness- I've never been to San Francisco (I am holding off for reasons yet to be understood), but I am in love with both Boston and Barcelona, so I think your theory has merit.

Spaniards divide themselves between those who love Barcelona and those who go for Madrid.

I divide the world into New Yorkers and Bostonians.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Well, I probably blow you theory. I LOVE San Francisco and Barcelona (never been to Boston) AND New York.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM

I'm a curve breaker like Art Lover. I'm a New Yorker who loves San Francisco, Boston and Barcelona! We did all the cities mentioned by "coro"...( El Husband was driving) and loved them all. Also second Segovia, Toledo and Avila.
However, as a city person.... I enjoyed Madrid (Prado.. lunch in Ritz garden... tapas, etc.) but it just didn't "grab" me like the other metropolises mentioned.