Seville and Madrid, but no Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked weather and rates for a winter trip to Europe and it seems that southern Spain is quite reasonable in both respects. I am thinking of going in Jan. or Feb. (these seem like the most miserable months for Europe travel--in terms of weather). Will probably be there 8 or 9 days. I am thinking of three nights in Seville, three or four in Madrid and a night In Cordoba. Is there anyplace else I "can't miss?" Is it crazy that on my first (and possibly only) trip to Spain I am not going to Barcelona?? I love art and architecture, history, nature (not so into food).
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 08:28 AM

It's a difficult decision, but basically it comes down to choosing between Barcelona and Andalusia. My vote goes to Andalusia, but don't miss the Alhambra in Granada! In my opinion, you can take a night off Seville for Granada. And I would suggest a day trip from Madrid to Toledo.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:10 AM

Hi Beth,

I might suggest the following for 8 or 9 days:

3 in Madrid with a day trip to either Segovia or Toledo.

3 in Sevilla, stopping in Cordoba on the way to Sevilla.

1 or 2 in Granada to see the Alhambra.

You might be able to get an open-jaw that goes to Madrid and leaves from Granada, but if not, you can go back to Madrid from Granada on the last day.

Hope this helps. BTW, I went for 2 weeks last February, and had a blast. The weather wasn't too bad, a little cold in Madrid but warmer than what I had here in DC. Sevilla was warm enough for a t-shirt during the day.

Karen
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:36 AM

No offense, but I think you're CRAZY to miss Barcelona. The architecture is totally unique and beautiful -- like no other city I have seen before.
Also, it's easy to get around there, by foot or public transportation. Try to make it if you can.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:49 AM

In Jan/Feb, I'd head straight for Sevilla and Granada and not bother with Madrid. Too cold and can be wet those months.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:16 PM

I agree that a choice between Barcelona or Madrid for your big city stay is no contest in favor of Barcelona, and I happen to like Madrid quite a bit. But Barcelona is a great city - think the sophistication and architectural brilliance of Paris combined with the laid-back chill vibe of Amsterdam and the Mediterranean setting of Nice.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Another vote for Barcelona.

We were in Spain last month and Seville and Barcelona are on top.

Check Iberia. Specific days and times of day they may have very, very inexpensive fares within Spain.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:47 PM

If you are interested in art and architecture, I can't see how you would pass up Barcelona. I had never been interested in architecture before, but when I was in Barcelona, all I could do was stare in amazement at all the incredible Gaudi buildings! Really it is a city unlike any other and you shouldn't miss it. I've never been to Madrid, but I have to tell you that when I was in Barcelona, I heard from other travelers over and over again how much better Barcelona was than wherever they had just been in Spain (usually Madrid).
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:42 PM
mjs

Another vote for Andalucia, plus Barcelona if you wish. Do not skip Seville, strongly consider Granada, Cordoba, Ronda and the white towns.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:26 AM

Also in weather aspects, Barcelona is far better than Madrid in that time of the year. It can get cold too in Barcelona, but not freezing like in Madrid. And when the sun is out and you're out of the wind, it can even get hot!
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:33 AM

stardust - that was not my experience with weather this past February! Madrid was chilly (about 40-45F) but wonderfully sunny for 3 days. A week later, Barcelona was colder, windier, and cloudier, with a day of rain/almost sleet. I think it's just luck one way or the other which will have better weather.

Beth - My thought on not recommending Barcelona (which I LOVED, BTW), was because you only have 8 or 9 days. Depends how much you want to move around. In 2 weeks, I went to Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, Cordoba, Sevilla, Ronda, Granada and Barcelona, but others may not want to travel that much.

Karen
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Well, you've twisted my arm. I think Barcelona is in, Madrid out. Question: If I stay in Seville for 4 or 5 days/nights, can I do day trips to Granada and Cordoba, or are they too far?
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

ttt