Westminster Abbey Evensong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to attend evensong at Westminster Abbey while we are in London. I was planning on going on a Sunday, but I noticed according to their website that they do evensong everyday. Does anyone know if the services are different on a weekday as opposed to a Sunday?

Has anyone been to any services at the Abbey and do you have any special suggestions?
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:55 AM

They are slightly different.

The service on Sundays includes a sermon. It doesn't on weekdays, and there's usually a bit more music.

Note, BTW, that there isn't really evensong on Wednesdays. Just said vespers (ie no music), so they're being a tad economical with the truth.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:46 AM

We went this June on a Monday evening. I wanted my son to see the boys choir sing, as he is around the same age. It was the one evening during our visit of nine days, that the boys choir were scheduled for evensong (which is shown on the Westminster Abbey website about a month in advance).
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 01:30 PM

We visited Westminster Abbey a couple of years ago to hear the Evensong. What a glorious experience. I cannot remember what day we went, but I do know that we had to try twice. I am not a fountain of info here I know, but if you get a chance to do both Westminster and St Paul's you will be blessed.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM

A few years ago we happened to stop by Westminster Abbey close to the time of evensong and were able to attend. Serendipity! It was such a lovely experience and a new way to view the Abbey - try not to miss it.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the info. We made it to evensong on Sunday and it was beautiful! It was a great way to see the abbey. We went back the next day for a full visit.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:26 PM

I too am interested in attending evensong at either St. Paul's or Westminster Abbey. Just wondering - after the service, can one linger and explore the church? Or is that best left for a separate tour?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM

When we attended Evensong, everyone but those attending the service were gently ushered out. Lingering afterward was not encouraged.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:40 PM

at st. paul's it as at 5. we arrived early and saw the church.
an interesting note is the public was allowed into the quire for the evensong. to sit among those wood stalls was quite impressive.

many did not go in because they did not understand english and perhaps thought that only a group of us had been"invited" to do so. they stayed on the many rows of chairs outside that area.

Old May 25th, 2008, 08:22 PM

We want to try to attend evensong at both Westminster and St Pauls in June -
how far ahead of time should we arrive?
Maybe 30 minutes? We'll be there in mid-June.
by the way, no entrance fees are
charged to attend the service, I assume.
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you don't have to arrive early - just arrive a few minutes before the time of the service.

No, there is no entrance fee for services. A reasonable donation is always in order though.
Old May 26th, 2008, 12:20 AM

Just to strss that while there is no (compulsory) entry fee for atending services at Westminster Abbey or St Paul's (though donations are welcome), it's not a way to avoid payment if your purpose is to look around afterwards. You will be quietly but firmly ushered out of the building after the service, at which point the building is reopened to paying tourists, or is closed for the day (usually after weekday Evensong).