Notices

Brass Rubbings

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brass Rubbings

Can anybody provide suggestions for the best place to do brass rubbings in either London or Edinburgh.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 05:40 AM

There are 2 brass rubbing "centers" in London. One is at St Martin in the Fields church (in the crypt)at Trafalgar Square. The other is at All Hallows by the Tower church near the Tower of London. By brass rubbing centers this means they give you copies of plaques etc. to rub so originals don't get ruined. I remember years ago doing some at the British Museum but don't know if they still allow it.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:45 AM

It's been a while, but the Cloisters at Westminster Abbey. We bought some kits to bring home as gifts for our great nephews. Assume it is still there.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 10:32 AM

I don't think brass rubbing is at Westminster Abbey anymore. We've been to St. Martin in the Fields, but I didn't know about All Hallows by the Church. Brass rubbing is on my kids' lists for our upcoming trip, so I'm happy to know of somewhere new to go for it!
Annette
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 03:49 PM

We've done the brass rubbing at St. Martin in the Fields two years in a row. One nice thing about it is there's a good restaurant in there called the Cafe in the Crypt, so you have a decent meal or snack before or after the brass rubbing. Also, one year we stumbled on a wonderful free concert taking place in the church sanctuary upstairs. Quite a famous musician was playing actually! The church has lots of concerts. And yes, you can only rub copies. There's a wide range of styles and sizes to choose from. The staff is fairly helpful with brass rubbing advice, though sometimes a tad gruff.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:29 PM

Great idea! I remember seeing the brass rubbings being done at St Martin's in the Field in 1999 and was so pleased as my Mom did this probably 40 years ago, brought them home, had them beautifully framed and I have them hanging in my house. Such a nice reminder on all counts.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:40 PM

In London, I would suggest the tube, when very crowded.

Oh, I'm sorry....you said *brass* rubbings. Never mind.