London Itinerary--What do you think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am genuinely interested in your advice on this. This is a work in progress! The dates for our whirlwind tour of London are September 20-23, 2003. (We actually get to London in the late afternoon on the 19th--will be coming from Paris--, but we have plans with friends that day/evening).

At any rate, here it is:

Day One (9/20-Sat.). Portobello Road in early AM, then to Harrod's. Have lunch in the area. Tube out to Kew Gardens (open until 5:30) after lunch. Early-ish dinner at Indian restaurant, Mela-152-156 Shaftesbury Ave.--Leicester Sq. tube. Finish with a London Eye ride (open until 9)

Day Two (9/21-Sun): Hyde Park in early AM--hope to catch some action at Speaker's Corner, if not, no big deal. Be at Tower of London by 10:00 AM. In afternoon, British Museum, until close (5:30 pm). Pub Dinner? In evening, ceremony of the keys back at Tower of London.

Day Three (9/22-Mon). Early start (9:30am) at Westminster Abbey. After an hour exploring the abbey, walk to Buckingham Palace. From there, walk to Trafalgar Square and St. Martin's in the field where we'll have lunch. After lunch, walk down to Big Ben/Parliament area. Have 5:00 tea at Browns Hotel. Jack the Ripper tour from 7:30pm to ??? (I have no idea how long this takes).

Day Four (9/23): St. Paul's Cathedral in early AM (be there when it opens at 8:30am stay until 10:30). Go back to hotel to check out (check out time is at noon) and get to Waterloo station for return trip to Paris.

As always, thanks in advance,
Jennie
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:23 PM

Sounds like fun, Jennie!

One thought: On day 3, when you are at Westminster Abbey, you will be right next to Parliament/Big Ben. So, why don't you just look at it then, and then you don't have to go back to that area in the afternoon? Then head to Buck Palace.

If you follow your plan, you can do Westminster AND Parliament, then walk to Buck Palace, then Trafalgar Sq and St Martin's in the Field. I'd estimate that you'd be done with this by about 2pm or so. So then you have 3 hours before tea time to wander or see something else.
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

kaudrey:

Thanks! That's the kind of info. I'm looking for. =0)

Jennie
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Hi,

good advice! see Westminster Abbey and Big Ben and all, at the same time.

If you are going to St. Martin's in the Fields specifically b/c of the food, it really is just a cafe, didn't impress me much. if you are going into that area anyway (and you should) why not check out the church, then go to the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery next door, then wander through either Soho or Covent Garden for some real food. (actually, get the food first, then go back to the galleries).

Jack the Ripper tour - is that Donald Rumbelow's night? he's quite good. any tour you'll take with London Walks is going to be great, so take your pick. (any day/time). I really enjoyed the Parliament/Politics one. a good deal of English history - fascinating.

take the time to climb St. Paul's. you will not be disappointed.
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:43 PM

Jennie, I've heard Speaker's Corner doesn't start until later than you will be there. Catch an early service at St. Paul's before the Tower of London.

If you're around Westminster Abbey (or St. Pauls) at 1530 any afternoon you could catch an Evening song service. To hear and see these churches in use adds greatly to the visit (opinion).
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:29 PM

Your tour sounds very good and combining Westminster Abbey with Parliament/Big Ben will save trips back and forth. I only visited a couple of pubs but didn't care for the food. However, near the British Museum is a Wagamama's which I very much enjoyed. Communal tables and the food was excellent.

I agree that lunch at St Martin's was not great. Just a cafe of sorts in the basement. And I loved the National Portrait Gallery next door.
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:12 PM

Your itinerary looks great - I don't think that you will have one dull moment!
One suggestion though-
try to see the Cabinet War Rooms Museum - It is the underground bunker where Churchill sometimes lived and commanded the English forces from during WWII.
Don't miss it!

E
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I really do appreciate the replies.

I'm not married to the idea of having lunch at St. Martin-in-the-Fields. It's just that my travel partner (aka "Mom&quot really wants to see it and we thought having lunch there would kind of kill two birds w/ one stone if we're tight on time. I'll definitely look into the other options/suggestions you all have mentioned.

Thanks again,
Jennie
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:12 AM

At Westminster Abbey, try to take a verger's tour (every half-hour, starting at 10, IIRC). It costs a little extra, but well worth it to get guided around and regaled with tales about famous people!

St. Martin's is just the best-known of many church-basement cafeterias in London.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:33 AM

St Martins is certainly OK for lunch - but I prefer the top floor cafe at the National Portrait Gallery or the restaurant in the Sainsbury wing of the National Gallery. Both are directly across the street from St Martins in the Field so you would not be wasting any time.

The Nat'l Portrait Gallery restaurant has views over the rooftops to Big Ben and the London Eye. The one in the Nat'l Gallery has views over Trafalgar Square for great people watching.