London Itinerary 3 Days

Apr 4th, 2005, 04:33 AM
pd
Original Poster

London Itinerary 3 Days

The goal,obviously, is to take in as much as we can. Will this work? I am arriving in London from Canterbury(staying in Knightsbridge)on Thursday late afternoon and meeting up with my cousin. We have the advantage of not being jet lagged, and here is our plan:
Thursday 5:30 evening at Chelsea Flower Show, then late dinner...any suggestions near there? On Friday morning, we are planning to hook up with London Walks for the Westminster Abbey Explorer Day (about 3 hours?), giving us hte opportunity to see that area. Afetr a quick lunch, a dash into the National Portratit Gallery where I expect to be for 1 hr. In the afternoon, we plan on following suggestuons from Fodor (the South Bank Walking Tour), London Eye , and Imperial War Museum. If time, we will tour Globe. At tha point, we will be ready to drop. Is there any cruise on Thames available from that area for early evening?
On Saturday, the tentative plan is British Museum (greatest hits), St. Paul's Cathedral, Tate Modern, and lastly, the Tower of Loindon. We have Moustrap tix for that evening. I haven't figured Sunday yet. Is this doable? HELP! Thanks.
Apr 4th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Your sightseeing plans are ambitious , but you may be able to accomplish a lot in 3 days if you rework a few things.
I have some suggestions for a few of the things you want to do.

The Westminster Explorer Day begins at 10:30 AM and will last longer than 3 hours. The tour of Westminster Abbey itself is scheduled after the tour breaks for lunch.
May I suggest you skip the London Walks tour and go to the Abbey on your own? Go there as soon as the Abbey opens and sign up for a Verger's tour or take a self guided audio tour. You'll want to spend at least 2 hours inside the Abbey.
There aren't many lunch options near the Abbey, but if you're not famished and can hold off a bit, walk across the Westminster Bridge to the London Eye. The walk will give you a good view of the Parliament Buildings and of Big Ben.

After your London Eye ride, walk across the Hungerford pedestrian bridge and find a pub lunch. One idea is the Sherlock Holmes pub on Northumberland Street. It's typical pub grub, but there is a small glassed-in upstairs room fitted out with Holmes' 'memorabilia"; that's worth a few minutes look. Once you leave the pub, continue walking the few blocks to Trafalgar Square, where the National Portrait Gallery is located.
(Another idea for lunch is the cafe in the crypt of St. Martins- in -the -Field church or the Portrait Restaurant on the top floor of the Portrait Gallery. )
I can only guess what time it might be when you leave the Portrait Gallery, but you may have time to squeeze in your greatest hits at the British Museum. The museum is open until 8:30 on Fridays. But please check the museum's web site to see if the particular galleries you want to see will be open.
You can walk up Charing Cross Rd to the Leicester Square tube station and take a one stop ride to Tottenham Court Road Station or you can continue walking up Charing Cross Road to the point where it ends and Tottenham Court Road begins. Turn right off Tottenham Court Rd onto Great Russell Street and walk about a block to the British Museum.

Someone else will know more about Thames dinner cruises than I do.

I think you'll want to make the Tower of London the first item on you Saturday itinerary, be there when it opens. It can get mobbed quickly. Join a free Yeoman's tour.
After the Tower go to St Paul's, do your tour, then find some lunch and rest your feet. There is a small cafe inside St. Paul's. The Tate Modern could be next, it's directly across the river from St. Paul's and is easily accessed via the Millennium Bridge.
The Globe is next to the Tate, you might be able to see that, too, if you have time before you need to get back to your hotel and freshen up for the theater.

Apr 4th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Sounds busy but doable. Just one note of caution: If you plan to eat somewhere near the Chelsea Flower Show, be certain you make reservations as far in advance as you can. Restaurants all over London are packed during that week.
Apr 4th, 2005, 06:53 AM

orleans makes some good suggestions. w/o some changes a lot of your plans are impossible or nearly so.

Friday you want to: Westminster Abbey London Walk, lunch, Nat'l Portrait, walking the Southbank, the Eye, Imperial War, AND the Globe (IF time?) Trust me - you won't have time.

100% agree w/ orleans to do the Abbey on your own. The Walk is fine - but by the time it finishes it will already be mid afternoon. You will not have time for more than maybe one other major (Nat'l Portrait or Imperial War) and the Eye. Even touring the Abbey on your own you will still have to cut something.

And Saturday: British Museum, St Paul's, Tate Modern AND the Tower. Simply not possible.

And - the Eye, Tate Modern, Southbank and the Globe are all w/i walking distance of each other. If you want to do all of them group them together.

Try to do the Tower right at opening time (either day would be fine)
Apr 4th, 2005, 07:27 AM

I think orleans plan is much more workable, but I still don't think you will be able to fit all of that into your schedule.

I would guess the London Walks Explorer day wouldn't end until about 3 PM. I don't think you would have time to see the Portrait Gallery and Imperial War Museum before they close. And I don't think you can possibly see both the Tower of London and St. Paul's before lunch on Saturday.

If it were my trip, on Friday I would start with the Tower of London (crowds may be slightly less on Friday); break for lunch, then either St. Paul's, the Globe or the Tate Modern (you will probably only have time for one - maybe two if you rush); break for dinner; then finish off the evening at the British Museum since it's open late that night.

On Saturday, I would start with the London Eye; then Westminster Abbey (on your own); break for lunch (there are a few pubs in the area, but not much else); then tour the Cabinet War Rooms (instead of Imperial War Museum - you could easily spend a good portion of the day at IWM); then walk up Whitehall to National Portrait Gallery; then break for dinner; then theatre.