Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Newbies to London taveling with me what to do? (I've been 5 times)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in London Just two and 1/2 days.

After many trips I still have much to see, but my companions are new to London.

I thought this a fair itinerary? (I don't ever have jet lag, but not sure about them)

Arrive mid-day. Probably ready to roll at 3PM.

Head to Picadilly Square area/Chinatown for a stroll

Dinner/Maybe an evening London Walks walk

Day two:
Hop on hop off bus. Get off at Westminster Abbey, National Gallery, British Museum. Thinking we may be able to squeeze Hyde Park and Orangery in here somewhere.....

Last Day (only able to sightsee until about 3-3:30 leaving on 5:40 Eurostar. Leaving our luggage there in the A.M.)

Given we start from Waterloo thought we could see St. Pauls, Tower of London, and London Bridge, maybe walk over the Millenium Bridge to Tate Modern.

So day one we arrive at noon, and day three we need to be at Waterloo around 4PM.

So any suggestions welcome.

How about Imperial War Rooms vs. National Gallery? Trying to have friends get the most out of trip. Royal Mews? I've not seen those.

Also seeing if we can get ceremony of the keys access so that would put tower at night.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just a couple of quick comments - gotta run. But others will chime in.

I personally would NOT choose Piccadilly Circus/Chinatown as their introduction to London. On day 1, think taking the tube to Westminster statiion, stepping outside and looking directly up at the face of Big Ben, w/ Westminster Abbey over your right shoulder and the river/London Eye over your left shoulder.

Also - the Keys Ceremony does get you inside the Tower - but you cannot tour it or look around at all. It would not substitute for visiting the Tower during the day.

More later . . . . .
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:17 PM

I agree with janisj. Skip Picadilly Circus and chinatown. With your limited time, I'd start with theWestminster area. Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, view of the London Eye, then walk down Whitehall past 10 downing, The cabinet war room musuem, maybe the changing of the horse guards at 11 am, to Trafalgar square.
Tower of London or St Pauls, then walk across Millenium bridge to the tate museum or Globe. I'd also consider the British Museum. Need a royalty fix? Kensington Palace and Hyde Park, afternoon tea at the Orangery.
I liked the Imperial War Museum, if that's what your newbies are interested in? How about theatre in the evening? Get the half-price tickets at Leicester square. Then you can have dinner at Chinatown before the show. Just some suggestions
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Agree with janisj and derek49. Skip Picadily and Chinatown. Westminster and St Pauls, Trafalgar Square and two museums or major sights may be enough. There are other things like the big flea markets or the Globe to give more variety. Depends on your friends' interests.

I personally found the hop-on-hop-off bus tour in London a waste. Ours got stuck in traffic though, so that colored the experience. Others might enjoy it.

Strongly second the advice of getting theater tickets. It is always memorable.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:40 PM

You need to take the Bridge Street exit at Westminster Station
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 01:06 AM

I enjoyed the hop on hop off bus but was awful weather so that may have influenced. I hate all to do with war but loved the War rooms which are unique. As wonderful as the National Gallery is, there are art galleries all over the world.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 01:20 AM

If you are near London Bridge on a Friday or Saturday I would recommend a visit to Borough Market - particularly if you and your friends would consider yourself 'foodies'.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I guess high impact would be the way to go day one. Enjoying the tips.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought on getting around - we visited years ago with friends who had been born in London. They had us on and off buses and tubes all day, it was quick and convenient but we had no idea where we were going, we just followed. We would have got more out of it if we had been given the map and told to find out how to get there ourselves. (Probably why we travel independently and don't like tours much.)Perhaps you could do this some of the time, other times they could follow you. They will remember things better if they had to figure out which tube stop or which bus route etc.
Kay