Search

Venice to Florence - What's for lunch?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice to Florence - What's for lunch?

Hello,

In a few weeks I will be driving from Venice to Florence. I am looking for a recommendation for a lunch-stop along the way. Nice little pictorest town would be great.

Thanks,

Paul
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM

This answer is not for a pretty little town but memorable for us. We left Venice to drive to Florence and stopped at an Autogrill and had the buffala panini. It was unbelievably good, so you could do that as a snack before lunch...
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Hello toguy.

I know it is not a small town but unless I was in a hurry to get to Florence I would be inclined to stop in Bologna and have lunch there and walk around for say at least a half hour after lunch enjoying walking along the sidewalks under the porticos while looking in the shop windows which are so interesting and artistic. Maybe buy gelato for dessert while enjoying your stroll. Bologna is known for its' wonderful food.

If you will be in a hurry to get to Florence like bfrac I had always had good food at the Autogrill's. I wish we had something similar in the US.

Have a beautiful and relaxing time in Italy!
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Southwest of Ferrara and northwest of Bologna is a neat little village called Cento. There are a couple of good restaurants, plus two hotels with restaurants. This is the kind of village I like -- easy to get to and easy to get around in, with enough for me to see in a short visit.

Also just south of Bologna is Casalecchio di Reno, not so charming but with a good restaurant in the Hotel Pedretti.

One of these, IMO, would be much better than a roadside diner or going into town.
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Hi paul,

we did that drive a few years ago and enjoyed a delicious lunch in bologna! great advice from loveitaly!

we also enjoyed autogrills throughout italy!!

have a great trip!!

dina
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:38 PM

toguy, just a thought. Have you been in Florence before? I ask as since you will have a car be sure to NOT drive in the restricted zones in Florence. If you do the cameras will take a photo of your car and you will receive a letter and a citation with a big fine months after you return home. This has happened to a lot of visitors in Florence. You probably are aware but just wanted to mention it in case you were not. Best regards.
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:36 AM

If you have an help to search and find this restaurant, I strongly reccomend you it: TRATTORIA TOMBA in Budrio and you will find Budrio driving along the highway from Venice, with exit to Bologna Interporto Centergross but, rather than follow the signals for Budrio, follow the signals for Granarolo as the TRATTORIA TOMBA is located in teh hamlet Armarolo which is closer to Granarolo than to Budrio.
The best of the true local tradition.
My suggestions: tagliatelle al ragù; gramigna con il sugo di pomodoro; cotoletta alla bolognese con prosciutto crudo e formaggio fuso; as dessert, panna cotta.
A good wine is Pignoletto.

Have a lovely lunch, ciao.

Vincenzo