Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Qestion about choir at Westminster Cathedral Sunday Mass?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to go to Sunday Mass at Westminster Cathedral (in London) when the choir sings. Anyone know at which Mass/Masses the boys/men's choir sings?
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

OOps! That's boys'/men's choir.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:51 AM

I assume you mean the Catholic Cathedral in Victoria - not the, more famous CoE Abbey by Parliament. If so...

>>>>Music
Westminster Cathedral Choir is internationally known and is led by the Master of Music, Mr Martin Baker. It usually sings at capitular Masses - 5.30pm weekdays and 10.30am Saturday and Sunday, as well as Vespers & Benediction at 3.30pm on Sunday afternoon. For information and news of forthcoming events please ring 020 7798 9057 or click here.

You might also want to have a look at Brompton Oratory for RC masses -sung and otherwise.

http://www.bromptonoratory.com/
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, CW. That's the church I meant. I was confused about time for the sung Sunday Mass. I'll check out the Brompton Oratory also.

Is there a difference in the quality of the music between the two?

Have you attended the Latin Mass at Brompton? I used to sing (badly) Gregorian Chant when I was in high school, and I've always loved it.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Westminster Cathedral, Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's all have great choirs. Try to go to them all, either by going to mass or evensong (vespers). You won't be disappointed. Also if you were in London for a longer stay, St. Brides, The Temple Church, St. Bartholomew's the Great, Hampton Court Chapel Royal and St. George's Windsor would be excellent choices. I have been to all but St. George's. Next time. Initally, all were recommended to me by Anglican/Episcopal music professionals in NYC.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 02:00 PM
ron

mes2525, you may want to at least tentatively add the boys and mens choir of Ealing Abbey to your list. I have not yet heard them live, but if their recording, Reflections, (available from cdbaby as a CD or as a download) is any indication, they are a worthy member of this company of choirs that you have listed.

http://www.stbenedictsealing.org.uk/...php?page_id=86