Search

Evensong

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:59 AM
samm

Evensong

When is evensong or matins in Westminster Abbey and St Paul's? Is there a specific time & day? We will be there in November.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:26 PM
judy

There are websites for both St. Pauls and Westminster Abbey that have their schedules. They are: www.stpauls.co.uk and www.westminster-abbey.org.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Virginia

Samm:<BR><BR>The Times of London also publishes schedules for the major churches. Can't remember offhand whether it's the Saturday or Friday edition. The listings usually include the composers and any guest choirs or soloists.<BR><BR>V.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Judy

We went to Evensong at Westminster Abbey on a Tuesday at 5 pm and saved 5 pounds each for the tour. It was beautiful. The minister even tried to make the sermon more interesting for my two boys aged 10 and 13 (who are acutally used to boring sermons!)

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 05:55 PM
muumi

Do check the website as it may change on certain days. We went to evensong at St Paul's twice, the second time on the eve of the feast of St Paul when it was pushed forward to an earlier time as a big celebration with the royal family was planned for the evening. We showed up and they were turning people away in droves, saying the cathedral was closed to prepare for the evening service. But when I said we were there for evensong, they whisked us inside (past military types doing security sweeps with dogs) to a beautiful little chapel where a lovely small ceremony was held. I think there were about 7 tourists and 10 clergymen. We felt very privileged indeed.