Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wengen Hotel? Caprice, Baren, Belvedere or Something else

Old Jun 6th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I haven't been to Bernese Oberland before. After doing a lot of reading my travel partner and I decided to base ourselves in Wengen 4-5 days (5 nights) late Aug or early Sept. The 3 hotels that have 4-5 nights availability are Caprice, Baren, and Belvedere. All in Wengen

Which would you choose?

I like the modern vibe of Baren and the balcony rooms, great reviews on food, but rooms and hotel is more simple? Whereas the Maya Caprice seems to have a more lux boutique vibe and better rooms? Correct me if I'm wrong. And Belvedere is more traditional. Dated? Disadvantage of Baren is the cancellation policy: 1 month prior to arrival cancellation incurs penalties of almost 100% and then 100% 2 weeks prior to arrival. Whereas Caprice's and Belvedere's policy is no fee if cancelled 1-2 days prior to arrival.

Caprice is CHF100 more per night compared to Baren and Belvedere, but that is not an issue. I checked Alpenrose, Schonegg, Silberhorn but all have no available rooms with balcony.

Thanks
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 03:36 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you check the Hotel Bellevue? My favorite in Wengen hands down.
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you end up staying?

Hi azquart -

I chanced upon your question as I am also trying to decide between Baren and Maya. I am hoping for Maya because of the whirlpool, however, like you also mentioned it is 100CHF more expensive. Baren looks amazing as well. Did you end up staying in either of them? Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated! I hope you see this message.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by azquart View Post
Hi all, I haven't been to Bernese Oberland before. After doing a lot of reading my travel partner and I decided to base ourselves in Wengen 4-5 days (5 nights) late Aug or early Sept. The 3 hotels that have 4-5 nights availability are Caprice, Baren, and Belvedere. All in Wengen

Which would you choose?

I like the modern vibe of Baren and the balcony rooms, great reviews on food, but rooms and hotel is more simple? Whereas the Maya Caprice seems to have a more lux boutique vibe and better rooms? Correct me if I'm wrong. And Belvedere is more traditional. Dated? Disadvantage of Baren is the cancellation policy: 1 month prior to arrival cancellation incurs penalties of almost 100% and then 100% 2 weeks prior to arrival. Whereas Caprice's and Belvedere's policy is no fee if cancelled 1-2 days prior to arrival.

Caprice is CHF100 more per night compared to Baren and Belvedere, but that is not an issue. I checked Alpenrose, Schonegg, Silberhorn but all have no available rooms with balcony.

Thanks