Murren or Wengen

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Murren or Wengen

We are planning a trip to Switzerland next summer. I am having trouble deciding what town to stay in. Which is the nicer town? Better hiking? Better accomodations and food? Do you usually get half board where you stay. Also if you are driving, where do you leave your car when you are there. Thanks
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I've stayed in both Murren and Wengen several times and I like both of them.

They're both car free - you can leave your car in the large car park in Lauterbrunnen and take the train to Wengen, or the funicular/train to Murren.

Both places offer many hiking opportunities - both have nice hotels and resturants. Wengen is bigger than Murren (population 1,050 vs 320), so naturally Wengen has more choices than Murren.

Both offer stunning views - great views of the Jungfrau and the Lauterbrunen Valley from Wengen - in-your-face views of the mountains from Murren.

You can easily visit both Murren and Wengen despite where you choose to stay, as the area is compact and it's easy to get from point A to point B via train, funicular, etc.

If you're looking for nightlife, well, neither place offers much. But if you're looking for a beautiful alpine setting, you can't go wrong with either.

Most hotels offer half board - we opted for half board at our hotel in Wengen once (Hotel Bellevue) and it was very nice - the food was very good. If you're a fussy eater (like I am) you might find that half board isn't the way to go. There are plenty of restaurants (most in hotels) in both Wengen and Murren that offer meals to non-guests.

Most hotels include breakfast with the room.

Have fun!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 07:28 PM

We loved Murren and particularly The Palace Hotel I think it was called. It was MUCH nicer than the Alpenruh we orginally checked into, though the view at the Alpenruh was better! The Palace can't be beat for a modern room and luxury in the alps. Enjoy,
STeve R
Maryland
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:41 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Stever is referring to the Anfi Palace Hotel, one of the two 4* hotels in Murren (the other is the Eiger Hotel, not to be confused with the 1* Eiger Guesthouse next door).

The Alpenruh is a 3* property and its best feature is its location, with balconies that have awesome mountain views.

We've stayed at the Alpenruh on each of our visits to Murren, partly because it's the only Murren hotel open year round and we tend to visit off season.

This site might help you with hotels in the area:

http://www.hotelguide.ch/berne/murre...ls5126236.html
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:17 AM

I prefer Wengen for a number of reasons:

1. I love the views of the valley waterfall which you can't get from the Murren side;
2. The great Maennlichen to Kleine Schiedig walk is accessible only from the Wengen side.
3. If you want to take the train up to the top the Jungfrau, the train originates in Wengen and saves you a good bit of time.
4. Wengen has many more restaurant options, Murren is quite small and offers about 6 restaurants that I can think of plus take away sandwiches from the Coop supermarket. Wengen also has more and IMO better hotel options.

That being said, you really would not be unhappy with Murren, and there are some good walks from there as well, and you can take the cable car up the Schiltorn from there which is a great ride and an alternative to the Jungfrau train trip.

In Wengen, I generally stay at the Caprice and generally do get half board because their restaurant is excellent, as is the hotel. I have driven to Wengen for the day from Zurich on many weekends to hike and have lunch or dinner there, so I am quite a fan of the restaurant. Take a look at www.caprice-wengen.ch. However, it is nice to have the choice to go to other restaurants as well if you are staying more than a night or so.

There really is only one good hotel in Murren, which is the Eiger, take a look at Hoteleiger.com. I have looked at several of the rooms in the Anfii Palace and I am sorry but did not think they were nice and were quite old.

If you want other hotel reccos or have a budget, let us know as you did not specify.

Info on the car park in Lauterbrunnen can be found at http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/Deskto...5/166_read-491
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Wow, hard decision. I vote for Wengen as well, because it's a bit more accessible to the things mentioned in above post. We loved Murren, but had some fun activities in Wengen- such as a local parade and fest night for visitors, and music at the Italian restaurant and Hotel Regina.We were there in mid-June and it was very quiet. We also stayed at the Caprice with stunning views and great food/service. Read the reviews of it on tripadvisor.com! Plenty of good eats and choices in Wengen. I strongly urge you to take the lift to Gimmelwald and have a fondue lunch on the patio beside the town hostel. It's one my favorite meals of a lifetime for ambience, view, charm, etc and boy does a cold beer taste great after a long hike! ;=)
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Hey, another chance to point people to my pictures from my May visit to that area!

http://spaces.msn.com/members/goflah...02_owner=1&_c=
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I looked at the caprice website and it looks wonderful. It is really hard to nail down where to go. We are flying into Munich. Besides the BO, I would also like to see the area around Schaffhausen, since that was where my grandfather lived and see the falls. I am debating where else to go. There are just too many options and not enough time. Edward...nice pictures.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Schaffhausen is a worthwhile stop and a train ride of less than an hour from Zurich directly or via Winterthur. If you're heading north on the train from Winterthur, get off at the Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall stop for the castle that overlooks the falls. You can walk to the other side of the falls from there and take a boat ride, or you can walk, take a bus (from the other side) or the train from there into Schaffhausen. If you use Zurich as a base, although you can see the highlights of that city in a day, it's also a short trip from there to Lucerne, St. Gallen, Appenzell and other worthwhile visits.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

I have emailed a few hotels and got a reply from one..the Beausite Park hotel in Wengen. Has anyone stayed or visited there?
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Find that thread about the funicular from Lauterbrunnen and construction next year. I thought it said the funicular to either Wengen or Murren (can't remember which) was being replaced with a gondola system. This might affect your decision.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:13 AM

We stayed at the Jungfrau Hotel in Murren and it was excellent. It is not the big glitzy one near the train station, but it fits the town much better. We loved the quaintness of Murren and the Jungfau hotel nestled into the moutain like it belonged there. The first room we were given was in the annex with no view and was very small. I picked up the bags, walked up to the lobby and requested a different room, one with a view. Fortunately for us, one was available on the top floor for only $20 more. It had a mondernized bathroom, and had 2 sets of french doors that opened onto a small balcony. When we opened the doors we we hit with a breathtaking view of the Eiger, Monk and Jungfrau. It felt like we could touch them. Murren has a local show for the tourists in the community center that was lots of fun. The local citizenry have a yodelling choir, dancers and alpine horn players. It was a nice serendipity that rounded out the trip. We met some of the performers the next day in the few shops that are there and we enjoyed talking to them. We took the ride up to the top of the Shilthorn to Piz Gloria twice. The second time we ate breakfast in the revolving restaurant. You can get a voucher from your hotel if breakfast is included in your room rate, and get it on top of the world instead!! You can walk/hike down to Gimmelwald from Murren and take a cable car back up. We enjoyed seeing hang gliders swooping past us, cows feeding in the pastures, etc. Don't forget to stick your head into the barn that is a hostel in the summer. There is one community shower and plenty of hay to sleep on! Too rustic for our tastes but we met a doctor and wife at Piz Gloria who had spent the night in the barn and loved it. They were going to stay in a 5 star hotel in Lucerne the next night! Nice contrast! We found several nice restaurants in Murren and had some excellent fondue with service that riveled any upscale NY restaurant! You will love Switzerland no matter where you stay! Oh, one more thought, if you are going to Lucerne, don't pay the city prices. Take one of the many public transportation boats on Lake Luceren and go a half an hour ride up to Weggis. There are wonderful hotels there for half the price, spectacular views and lovely non-touristy towns. We had wonderful meals, came upon a community oohmpaapaa concert, enjoyed the city of roses and swans.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:11 PM

For accessibility, Wengen is easier, particularly with the construction that starts next spring on the lift system from Lauterbrunnen up to Grutschalp, which is a change point on the way to Mürren.

My own vote is and has been for Lauterbrunnen because I can get to Wengen for the day or Mürren for the day, or just about any place within 100 miles.

For example, by having a car, last summer we drove to Kiental, parked, and rode the Post Bus up the 30% grades to Griesalp. Unforgettable. (We could have driven up, but when the going got steep and the curves narrow, I was just as happy to let the pros do the driving.)

As for the best hiking, you are trying to split the unsplittable hair, or reduce a quark to an even smaller sub atomic particle. There are stunning views and great hikes all over the mountains.
Pick a side, and you will find beauty.

I can tell you where I go and have gone, if you are interested.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 01:34 PM

cpharis, I have eaten at the Beausite and looked at several of the rooms. I took notes on some particular room numbers and can look them I if you want (am in an airport lounge today). The hotel is indeed beautifully sited, it is set a bit back from the main town of Wengen and commands good views of the mountains and the little town. It is below the cable lines for the Mannlinchlen lift. It is a very nice 4 start hotel, also has an indoor pool and small wellness centre which is a nice plus. Decor is nice, I saw 4-5 rooms and they all appear to have been redone in the last year or two and were in good shape. It would be very quiet at night well away from the tourist crowds during the day, and a pleasant walk of about 10 minutes into the village. This is a good choice in Wengen, IMO. Food is good.

I am a huge fan of the Caprice for the rooms, food and ambience and also for their really excellent service. YOu also get views over and down into the valley including the waterfall at Lauterbrunnen, you would not get this from the Beausite as is it too far back from the edge of the shelf on which the town sits.

The area around Schaffhausen is quite pretty, rolling green hills, but no Alps or anything; but combined with a trip to Stein am Rein, Basel and/or St Gallen this would be a nice few days in that region. With a car, Stein am Rein and Schaffhausen are an easy day trip. One of my favorite drives is from Zurich by back roads to St Gallen up through higher hills and little towns, this makes a very nice day trip, esp in summer with long days; I can give specific routing details if you are interested. You might search St Gallen here for info on the town, they have a very nice old town.

Travelnut, the funicular runs to Murren. Would be a shame to see it replaced, as the walk from Grutcsalp is a great easy, flat and incredibly scenic one, and the funiclar and the little train ride is wonderful.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 01:48 PM

<<Murren has a local show for the tourists in the community center that was lots of fun. The local citizenry have a yodelling choir, dancers and alpine horn players.>>

Does anyone know how to find out how often/when this show is put on? I'd love to take the kids! We'll be in Lauterbrunnen - would a show like this be found there or should we go to Murren?

<<We took the ride up to the top of the Shilthorn to Piz Gloria twice. The second time we ate breakfast in the revolving restaurant. You can get a voucher from your hotel if breakfast is included in your room rate, and get it on top of the world instead!!>>

Is this available from a specific hotel in Murren, from any hotel in Murren, or from any hotel in any of the towns in the area south of Interlaken? I was going to go do this anyway so would love to get the vouchers.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM

For the record, there are two ways to get to Mürren other than by walking!

One way is to take the Post Bus from Lauterbrunnen, or drive your own car, to the valley lift station near Stechelberg.
This cable device ascends the side of the valley first to Gimmelwald where Schilthorn and Mürren passengers change cars. The second car goes to Mürren where Schilthorn passengers change again for the top.

The other way has been to take the cable car, an elevator on wheels, up the side of the vally right out of Lauterbrunnen to the Grutschalp station. There, Mürren passengers can change to a little train that runs along the flat part of the valley shelf to the station on the north side of Mürren.

The option is to walk from the Grutschalp station to Mürren. I have done it many times, and I can assure you that the route is incredibly scenic.

The lift system that is scheduled for replacement is the cable car that runs up and down the mountain between Grutschalp and Lauterbrunnen.

My guess is that the new gondola, or whatever the final design is, will replace the elevator on wheels. The gondola will not go all the way to Mürren as far as I know.

From Grutschalp to Mürren is a distance of about 2 miles, and the route along the valley shelf is relatively flat.

The trail between Grutschalp and Mürren makes for a delighful walk. There is a restaurant about halfway that serves continually during the day. On a sunny day, it is a beautiful place for a rest stop.

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

I was also thinking about the Caprice. It sounds nice. THe Beausite said they will also have a new outdoor pool by next summer so that would be nice. THere are 3 of us so they are giving us a junior suite with an extra bed and half board. I am glad the food is good there. I have to see what the Caprice offers and which is better priced. We are flying out of Zurich so I will have to decide where to stay there also. Do you think one day is enough for Schaffhausen and Stein-en Rhine if we get there early in the day? I would actually like to go up to Alsace for a few days also. Thanks for all the help. Where should I go for 2 days after Wengen and before Zurich (not lucern since I go there before)? I was thinking Kandersteg or Gruyere or Murten???ANy thoughts??