Wengen or Murren

Apr 18th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Wengen or Murren

Hi, we are planning on 3 days visit to Bernese Oberland in July. It will be our first time in switzerland. As of now, switzerland most likely will be the end of our trip before heading back to states ( London-paris- switzerland). I can't decide whether to stay in wengen or Murren.We dream of staying in the alps . We plan to seesightseeing -Jungfrau, schiltorn, breakfast at Piz Gloria, Trummelbach falls and do some lite to moderate hiking. We are ok but do not spend time on the gym so no big time 2 hours walking up the hill.Any feedbacks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Apr 18th, 2010, 04:25 PM

It's really the toss of the coin

Muerren is more "rural" than Wengen,very pretty in a "Heidi"-like way, on the side of the Schilthorn. It is a bit more limited in terms of places to go. Schilthorn and Truemmelbach Falls are close to the cable car that goes from the valley to Murren. For the Jungfraujoch you have to go down to the valley and get the train in Lauterbrunnen through Wengen to the Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch.

Wengen is a bit more large hotels, a destinct shopping district and it offers the train to the Kleine Scheidegg etc., as well as a cable car to the top of the Maennlichen from where you can have a nice and easy hike to the Kleine Scheidegg, or take a gondola lift to Grindelwald.

I stayed in Lauterbrunnen, which gave me access to all the places you mention.

I also had a nice hike from the first train station downhill from the Kleine Scheidegg (can't for the life of me remember its name right now) back to Wengen, past an alp that served sinful ice parfaits.
Apr 19th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking that in th event that it will rain, it'll probably be better that we stay at Wengen so there are other things to do like shopping etc.
Apr 22nd, 2010, 05:05 AM

They're both good. More to do in Wengen, but it's certainly not a shopping mecca....just a few shops on the main road, but more than in Murren.
Apr 22nd, 2010, 05:41 AM

We stayed in Wengen and enjoyed being able to take the lift to Grindelwald and the cable car to Maennlichen as well as going to all of the places you have listed.
Apr 22nd, 2010, 06:09 AM

I was in Wengen last September and I don't remember, but maybe 3-4 shops and a Coop grocery. Did I miss some shops?
Apr 22nd, 2010, 07:10 AM

Well, Keith and I are staying in Wengen if that makes any difference to you. However, I am concerned about getting my Louis Vuitton trunk up that hill in the trolley.

And I must have a few changes of wardrobe as we are riding in the Mannelichen gondola. If I am going to fall to my death, I will not be photographed for the Daily Mail in some old beige jumper along with the headline "Peer's Gay Nephew Plunges to Death Whilst on Swiss Holiday With Male Companion."

You need Balenciaga for a headline like that, sweetie darling.

Thin