Weather/packing for Paris in Sept.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning all. We're going to Paris for the last 2 weeks in September! What sort of outerwear would be best to pack? Will we need jackets at all at that time of year? Or only something light for evening/night? Thanks in advance, S
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:06 AM

Silver, this is a question better asked closer to your date of departure. Paris weather can change an awful lot from week to week. But as a general rule of thumb, yes, you will need jackets/blazers for both daytime and nightime, though you might or might not find yourself taking the jacket off in the afternoon. Depends on the weather that day.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, Mermaid! I just didn't know whether we could anticipate walking around in short sleeves or needing layers. Thanks again, S
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:17 AM

Layers is what you will be needed, exactly. We were in Paris the same time last year as you will be going, and we froze the first day because it was raining. I had on every piece of clothing that I packed! However, later that week the skies cleared and I was fine with a short sleeves and a light cardigan during the day.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:26 AM

You will probably need a sweater or jacket for the evenings. I think a very good solution is to bring or buy a lovely lightweight wool scarf. It's a life saver you can stash in a bag or wear as a shawl or around your neck and head if you get caught out in the cold. It's also very fasionable in Paris as everyone wears them. There is a great shop on the Isle St Louis (Can't spell, sorry) which has cheap to expensive scarves from all over the world. Start your tour at Notre Dame and walk over the bridge to check it out. It's on the left about half way down the main street. While there have a hot chocolate at
"Charlots" (sp?) it is so thick they give you a water chaser!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:39 AM

We were in Paris last year for 8 days during the last week of September and the first week of October. We had weather ranging from sunny and high in the 70s to rainy and low in the 40s. It is a good idea to have a waterproof jacket and some sweaters. I took a cotton turtleneck, which came in very handy a couple of days. Paris is quite variable, even during a single day. Find a good weather site that provides monthly averages of temp and rainfall and also 10-day forecasts. Check it often in the few days before you depart but be prepared for almost everything.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:54 AM

omigod, silver, if I started thinking about what to pack Now for a trip in Sept..I would have a breakdown before the summer comes!
September just about anywhere is very changeable. It can rain and be hot all in one day or be cold.
I have been to Paris in March when I arrived in a thick warm jacket and people were sitting in the sun in shirtsleeves..
And let us not forget, styles can change by then! LOL
The advice given is good, Layers work all year round in Paris.
You aren't really packing now are you?
Scarlett
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:22 AM

Just start checking the 10 days forecasts as it gets closer to your travel time...their weather is like ours..it can be very changeable. I will be east of Paris the last half of Sept...I will be checking the weather before I go and make whatever changes necessary!!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Scarlett:

<i>...if I started thinking about what to pack Now for a trip in Sept..I would have a breakdown before the summer comes!</i>Like silver, I've been doing &quot;mental packing&quot; for my October trip. It's helped me identify several items I've bought during the off-season sales...up to 50% off what I would probably pay later in the summer.

So, there's a practical side to compulsive overplanning!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:12 AM

JeanneB, you are brilliant! That's exactly what I am going to tell my husband, great payer of bills, when he grumbles about the size of my wardrobe and my devotion to clothing sales. I'm going to tell him he should be thanking his lucky stars for a woman who is practical and thrifty when it comes to European travel. (Don't know if he'll buy it, though. )
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Here's a good example---for anyone who's in the market for a &quot;healthy back&quot; bag. When I travel, my biggest complaint is my shoulders...they hurt from carrying my not-too-heavy purse.

Yesterday Ebags posted this microfiber backpack---good looking, the size I want, lightweight, and straps that can be zipped together for shoulder-carry. On sale for $19.99!!
http://www.ebags.com/del_mano/new_mi...?modelid=18681

I'm still pondering whether I think those two snaps on the front pocket would be a pain to resnap all the time. I would prefer just a pocket or a zip opening. But for that price, I may order it anyway. Who can complain about something under $20?!!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

You are all a riot!
Yes, I'm not so much &quot;packing&quot; as &quot;planning to buy&quot;! I'm in Canada, and I don't know about you, but by September, everything in the stores will be high winter items, and I can forget about finding a waterproof jacket, if I decide I need one for the trip. Fall items get sold out by mid-July, and you have to find a bathing suit by the end of May, LONG before our lakes are warm enough to swim in! You've all given me wonderful advice. I'll just plan for things that will work in layers, and carry the items shed in a lightweight backpack (but NOT the camera, wallets, etc - I've been reading the posts about pick-pockets, too!
Thanks so much again. I'm sure I'll have more questions before the Fall.
I lurk, therefore I am.
Cheers, S
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:51 AM

We will be there the same time ...I just got a great little raincoat from Lands End...folds up into its own pouch and I think would also serve as a jacket on those days you don't know what to wear and whether it's going to be cool or warm or rainy...