Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

what kind of coat to take to paris this week?

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 04:06 PM
klt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heavy raincoat? Down?
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 04:19 PM

When I do Paris in the 'tween seasons, I wear a waterproof trench coat with a zip-out lining.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 04:20 PM

The weather is cool to warm. My son said the other night it was so hot he couldn't sleep! Most people in Paris are dressing like it's colder than it is. Most people are wearing short jackets instead of coats. check the weather reports, but it is unseasonably warm like the US this year, must be global.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 04:20 PM

I was there this time last year. It was really cold and rainy.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Do you have a smart hip length leather jacket? You can wear this day and night and look smart at all times. Add a scarf if it gets colder, wear a light weight shirt under if it warmish. Leather keeps out the wind but doesn't seem to make you sweat if it is a bit warmer.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:36 PM
aggiemom

klt: I'm going to Paris tomorrow. I'm like Robespierre - nice trench with zip out lining.

Flaze - I'm confused. I've been following the weather in Paris for several weeks and the highest it's been has been in the 70's. Is this considered unseasonably warm? I also see that it's been raining some.

merci, mom

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
and for me, my first time to Paris in February is the same?
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM

We were in Paris the last week of September. Part of the time it was warm enough to dine outside, part of the time it was cooler and we wore our leather jackets. I also brought a lightweight, full length raincoat that I could wear over the leather jacket if necessary.

Paris temps have been in the 70's all week, but could drop off a cliff any time. I'd take a heavy raincoat with a zip out lining, or a leather jacket. Don't think you'll need down.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:24 PM

Mimi, I'd take a real coat for Feb. It could be cold.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:41 PM

It has been unseasonably warm in western Europe this month. I'm in Antwerp, bit further north than Paris, but more than 20 celsius in the middle of October is practically unheard of. Last Saturday, people were sitting outside in Antwerp at midnight.
Having said that, mornings and evenings are cold, and it will get colder.
A raincoat with a warm lining is useful. Down is probably too warm during the day this week.

Cigalechanta; February is much colder; down would be good then.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:52 PM

Brrr. mimi, we needed real coats in March in Paris.
It can be windy, cold and raw. You will need gloves, scarves and your Boston Winter coat
and boots! with socks..
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 02:41 AM

Why don't you look at a weather report for Paris? I've just looked at one, today is fair and the temperature is 20. However, it does say showers and rain for the rest of the week.
so you need something waterproof or an umbrella. It's not that cold so unless you are particularly prone to feeling the cold, you don't want too heavy a coat as it will make you uncomfortable. Better to wear a light mac type, and then add a jumper underneath if you need it.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:10 AM

One more thing, bring a long neck scarf. You can wear one with a sweater if the weather is not too cold, or with a jacket (obviously) as things worsen. You see scarves everywhere here.

Like others have mentioned the temps have ranged from lows of 55 to highs of 70 and sunny, but it has been too nice for too long, so brace for colder weather would be my bet. Pull up a long range forcast of Paris and be guided accordingly.

Good luck

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:25 AM

We were in Paris last year the second week of November. It was chilly, not really cold, and gray and drizzily. A trench-type raincoat is perfect, and a zip-out liner would only have been a headache to carry. A thin turtleneck and medium-weight sweater (or whatever you would normally wear in autumn) plus the coat, will probably be perfect. I would add gloves if you're going to be outside walking for long periods. Also a hat or hood for rain, as you will inevitably tire of an umbrella if there is very light rain, but you'll get wet nonetheless without something. Do check the weather a few days before you leave and adjust your final wardrobe to the exigencies of current conditions.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:43 AM

We were there in mid October and again in early November a couple of years ago. It rained off and on most days and even sleeted one afternoon. That's not to say it was terribly cold.

I wore a hip length leather jacket and long boots. If the wind was blowing I added a wool scarf and gloves. Bad weather never lasted very long, so i usually ended up carrying the coat.

I would say the MOST important thing is to keep your feet dry. Boots worked great. But just make sure your shoes are waterproof and take at least 2 pair so you can switch out each day.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:03 AM

Jeanne, you are right about the shoes--I completely forgot about them. Did you wear your leather coat in the rain or did you have some sort of protective covering on it? I'm asking because we are planning a trip to Ireland during a time of similar weather and I haven't dared consider the leather coat because of the rain.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:24 AM

Paris weather has been unpredictable this year. We went in March and it was snowing and colder than normal. I went back six weeks later and got a sunburn. Always carry something for the rain in Paris-- they get the Seattle type 5 minutes showers. And I always bring gloves. I usually dress in layers when I travel to Europe. Nice shirt under a light to medium weight button or zip up sweater or dress jacket (like the black ones you can buy at Chico's) and then a trench style coat.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:39 AM

In Brussels, it feels much fresher today than it did last week. So the unseasonably warm weather may be waning. Bring a raincoat, a few sweaters, scarf, umbrellas and a pair of light gloves. Even if the temps aren't actually that low, it can feel quite chilly walking along the Seine after sunset or if you go up to the top of the Eiffel Tower or Arc de Triomphe.
Best to take both your sunglasses and your umbrella when you head out of the day.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Paris weather at this time of year is highly variable. This month the temperature has been far above seasonal norms, running around the low 70s (Fahrenheit) when normally it should be around 60° F during the day. Today the weather is sunny under clear skies, at about 67° F.

You don't need a coat in weather like this, but a sweater might not be a bad idea if you don't like cool weather. Just make sure that you bring clothing that you can take off or put on in layers, so that you can adjust to any temperature.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 07:44 AM

KSWL,
I mis-wrote that! I went back and looked at our pictures and the jacket I took to Paris was a black microfiber type material. It was perfectly waterproof.

Darn. I had thought I would take the leather jacket for our trip in January. Now I'll have to rethink the whole thing. You're right...I wouldn't wear the leather as a raincoat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -