Search

Paris Weather

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2002, 10:43 PM
lze

Paris Weather

Hello, We leave this Thurs. for Paris. I have checked the temps on Yahoo site and find it is in the low to mid 60's and sometimes is hitting 70 to 71 degrees. Humidity is around 85%. My question is do you think I will need long sleeves? I was hoping for it to be a bit warmer. I don't usually get cold to easy but wonder if it will be windy (you feel colder in the wind) and wonder if it will feel damp. The lows range from 49 to 53 degrees. Perhaps just a sweater at night? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I guess it will be best to pack something just in case. Perhaps I have answered my own question?

Old May 26th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Gretchen

The weather in Paris may be the most unpredictable of any anywhere and you need to prepare for all of it! At best you will need some sort of rain apparel so a raincoat may solve some of your problems.

Old May 26th, 2002, 05:09 AM
alex

Keep in mind also that, if you will be near the river at night, the dampness will make it feel colder than the ambient temperature. My wife is always cold in Paris in the Spring. We pack so we can dress in layers.

Old May 26th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Melissa

I am in Paris right now. The weather here in Europe (in general) the last 2 weeks has been crazy. It's gone from blistering hot to freezing cold....sometimes in the same day. For instance, yesterday morning it was a beautiful clear sky day, although the air was as chilly as the Pacific Northwest. At about 8 PM, it started pouring HARD. Today, it started out cloudy, became clear, and now (330 PM Paris time) it's freezing cold and raining. So bring clothes for both kinds of weather. I'm glad I did.

Old May 26th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Ross Bernard III

How about you just stay where you are because at least you will know what the weather will be so you don't have to debate with yourself over and over again about should I wear long or short sleeves, shoes or sandals, underwear, a wig, etc. Now, don't you feel better.

Old May 26th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Muffy

My dearest Ross, <BR>So here you are! We've all(Mummy and the girls) been wondering where you went after they let you out. Please don't bother these nice people here at Fodor's(they do complain, you know). After all, they really aren't OUR sort of people. Let them wear what they wish--see you in Monaco in June, dear, and please, remember, none of those ugly outbursts, or we shall have to let Grandmama know what you said about her that worried the police so. Love and kisses, your sister Muffy.

Old May 27th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Elizabeth

LOL

Old May 27th, 2002, 10:20 AM
elaine

My recommendation would be for a lightweight jacket or unlined raincoat,plus umbrella, plus at least one sweater. You may find yourself wearing the raincoat and sweater every day and night, as I did on one late May trip.

Old May 27th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Diane

We braved the last week of April in Paris, and were rewarded with lovely weather most of the time. High 60s Low 70s and sunny on the best days, chillier and rainy on two other days. I brought a short micro-fiber raincoat with a hood. We both had umbrellas. Turned out to be perfect. Think layers and you will be just fine. (Also remember, if you are too cold, you can always buy yourself a souvenir sweater.....)

Old May 27th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Ross Bernard III

Damn Muff.<BR>So cruel.<BR>WHY?!?!?!?!?!<BR><BR>Loser

Old May 27th, 2002, 10:49 AM
MarciaB

Agree with Elaine. Take both a sweater and unlined rain jacket, and you may wear both every day. Or you may wear neither any day. I was in Paris two weeks ago, and I finally learned to take my rain gear with me every day, even if it looked great, because if I didn't take it, I was sure to need it.

Old May 27th, 2002, 07:21 PM
curious

What about mid June? Is is usual to have a fair amount of rain? How hot does it usually get?

Old May 27th, 2002, 10:07 PM
lze

Hello Everyone, Thanks to all of you (except for the obnoxious Ross Bernard) for your suggestions. I will take a sweat shirt (or buy the souvenir one)and some light rain jacket, and umbrella. Perhaps layers as well. If the humidity is high it will feel damp and cold as one poster said. I live in the high desert and do not feel cold much. But back in northern FL. the cold really got to me. It was the damp cold! I had forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder. Of course strolling along the river at night with my hubby, he should keep me warm.......right? Thanks everyone. You were a big help.

Old May 27th, 2002, 10:20 PM
susanb

Dear Ross, people who frequent this board are seeking advices from fellow travellers. Many are first time travellers, and it is perfectly normal to be curious about the wheather and what to pack.<BR>Don't be so arrogant!!<BR>

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:28 AM
francesca

I nearly put on the heat last night, May 27, so yes, definitely pack a light jacket or raincoat.

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:05 AM
Lily

Just got back to the east coast last night and am wide awake at 4AM missing my baguette. The weather was crazy-- grey and stormy one moment, sparkling bright the next, umbrellas popping up and down constantly. But it made for the most incredible skies! And with flashes of sun coming through the clouds and moving over Notre Dame, the Seine, the streets, the cafes.... Well, it was like a stage set! Everyone's advice was good, but I'd say skip the sweatshirt. Too bulky. Stick to light layers, even lightweight wools (a silk camisole under it all is very toasty) and, if you happen to have a little black microfiber jacket like I did, you're golden. Bon voyage!