Weather in October?

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather in October?

Hi:
I am planning a trip to Netherlands,Paris and Germany (maybe...) in the 2nd week of October.Planning to leave on the 7th of October and comuing back on the 15th.I am just worried about the weather. I do not mind if it is cool, but do not want it cold. I live in Michigan, so i have no proble with a weather like fall. I actually will enjoy that, as we can walk around a lot....
your input is appreciated.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 04:15 AM
ira

Hi Ill,

Have you checked the weather data at www.weather.com?

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 05:33 AM
rex

The websites www.weatherbase.com and www.worldclimate.com will be more useful today - - weather.com 3 days before.

Keep in mind that Paris, Amsterdam (52 N) and northern Germany are all a few hundred miles north of Sault Ste. Marie (46 N).

Chances are, the weather will be similar to what can be found in the states of the Big Ten - - which, in October can vary substantially from one corner to the other.

It will be 30 degrees F... SOMEwhere in Germany in the first half of October, at least once (most likely at higher elevations, not so much related to north/south). Probably true in Michigan also.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 05:35 AM
rex

By the way, that's a lot of moving around for only 8 days - - though you do say "Germany (maybe...)". Consider perhaps keeping Germany to 24-48 hrs at most - - for example, Aachen and/or Cologne.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info guys and also for the detailed info rex... i will look into germany..
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Weather can be as predictable in europe as it is here. Best to just check the extended forecasts on whichever weather site your prefer before you go and get a rough idea of what to expect. That is what I am doing for my trip, leaving 9/16 and returning 10/1.
Always take umbrella and light rain wear, one wool sweater for layering.
Enjoy................
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 06:35 AM

You're not going to find freezing weather in Paris, the Netherlands or anywhere sealevel in Germany by day in mid-October (though a touch of overnight frost is a possibility). Weather in Paris and the Netherlands is rarely predictable.

Virtually everywhere you're thinking of visiting is north of practically everywhere non-Inuits live in Canada, but so what? We simply don't have North America's horrible weather here at any time of the year.

Daytime weather in Paris and Holland will be mostly between the mid 40's and mid 50's (it can be more extreme in Germany, which is long and narrow and benefits less from the Gulf Stream). Showers are very likely, and the damp air we have most of the time can make 40's and 50's feel chillier than the same temperatures feel in North America. At that time of the autumn, though, windchill is unlikely to be significant.

It might be a good bit warmer: it's unlikely to be much colder. With the extreme changeability of the weather from Paris to the coast, historical average temperatures tell you very little. Except when it's raining, I walk around in shirtsleeves in Holland and Northern France at that time of the year. It's still possible to work up a lather if you walk briskly enough.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Hi illusion, the only thing I can add is that twice when trying to fly out of Amersterdam the flights were delayed due to very heavy fog. Both times this was in the middle of October. I do not know if this is typical or if I just "lucked out". Fortunatly it was not a problem for me but some people seemed worried as they had jobs to get back to or whatever.
Have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Hi illusion. I was in Paris last Oct. and the weather was cool but never cold. About in the 50s and 60s - I brought a long raincoat and some sweaters and was fine. We hit a few days of rain on and off - bring a small umbrella.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Illusion, if you are still around, how was the trip? We are planning a trip to the same three areas in late September/early October and I'd love to hear how yours went.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:14 PM

All of thse places should be as warm or warmer than Michigan - fall - not winter. Just be prepared for lots of rain - often light drizzle - rarely heavy downpours.