Andalusia - Car or Public Transport

Mar 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Andalusia - Car or Public Transport

We're going to Malaga in July. We're just beginning planning. We for sure want to visit: Gibraltar, Granada, and Seville. Do we need to rent a car or can we rely on public transportation (rail and bus) to get around?
Mar 25th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Check the trains at http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html and see if the cities and schedules meet your needs. You can always rent a car for part of it. You will NOT want to have a car in the cities though and if you do, park as you enter town and taxi/walk to where you need to be. W wasted a ton of time in Granada not following that advice.
Mar 25th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll chedk the train schedules. Do you know if the taxis in Andalusia are extremely expensive or more reasonably price and if they are safe?
Mar 25th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Disagree. We have done this area (but not Malaga) by car twice - and can;t imagine how taking buses or trains could be nearly as convenient - or as much fun.

Are you planning on doing all day trips - or moving from city to city? For the latter cars make much more sense -esp for more than 1 person.

As for Granada - not sure what the comment means - we just parked the car at the hotel - and had no problem at all getting in/out of town.
Mar 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

We'll have 2 adults and 1 child. I'm not sure how long we'll spend in each town, but we'll be going back to Malaga each night, as that's where our lodging will be. I know that I can't miss the Alhambra in Granada & expect to spend a while there.

I'm still researching sites to see. I've read and seen many posts about the mosque in Cordoba and am thinking of adding that to my list. I've also heard that the town of Ronda should not be missed.

I'm beginning to think that if I keep Seville, Granada, Gibraltar & add Cordoba and Ronda that to fit all that in 7 days, that we might save some time if we have a car available and don't have to worry about bus & train schedules.
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM

I'd have to say a car will make things a lot easier for you, except for actually driving and parking in Malaga. You have way more flexibility and make a lot more of the time you have. I totally agree that Ronda should not be missed. You will see lots of posts in various locations that it's best to park your car on the street outside the border crossing to Gibraltar (easily done in March, not sure about July) and just walk across, and that is absolutely true! I'd read about the multi-hour line-ups for vehicles to exit Gibraltar and they were in no way exaggerated. Also it would be a huge pain to drive/park there. It's easy to walk around the town area and all "Rock Tours" if you choose to go that route are equally priced. The tours are a good efficient way to go up to the top of the rock.
Mar 27th, 2006, 11:24 AM

We spent a week in Marbella and three nights in Cadiz. We rented a car and found it very convenient for daytrips to many of the places mentioned.

Woody
Mar 27th, 2006, 12:22 PM

We are just back and I will post a short trip report.
Mar 27th, 2006, 04:51 PM

The bus system in Southern Spain is excellent, but we plan to rent a car for a few days to drive to Ronda, Arcos de la Frontera, and other hill towns. Here is a useful site, which includes bus information: http://www.andalucia.com/travel/home.htm
Mar 28th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Many Thanks! We decided to rent a car, but may on occasion use the train or bus.
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:20 PM

I think that it was in Ronda that some men were asking for "tips" to keep an eye on our car while we walked around. They were completely nonthreatening and we agreed to tip them after we returned. And we did!
Just an FYI....