Search

Weather and scenery in late-March/early-April: Lake Como, Italy or Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2012, 04:02 AM
vmm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather and scenery in late-March/early-April: Lake Como, Italy or Tuscany

I haven't gotten any responses to my last post so I thought I better rephrase the question:
If you were planning an outdoor wedding in late-March or early-April, would you choose Lake Como or Tuscany? Thank you for any input regarding weather, scenery,things-to-do. (Btw, ideal wedding weather for me would be a warm/hot with clear skies. Thank you.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 05:37 AM

See the other thread. Neither place will be warm.
Tuscany will be in the 50s and Como in the 40s.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 06:44 AM

I guess both Tuscany and Lake Como would not be wark in late March early April, and you can never have a gurarantee of clear skies. We were in Trento Alto Adige last December, and we were lucky, no rain, but we did find some frost on the car in the mornings. We then drove all the way to northern Umbria about 500kms, only a few kms from northern Tuscany. We were lucky, no rain and clear skies and of course a bit warmer than Trento. If you want warm weather I would postpone to late May/June. I think an outdoor wedding might be too cold to do it outside in the provences you chose. But you can choose venue where you could stay both indoors and outdoors. Tuscany has so many lovely venues and agriturismos where you can make the function, the problem would be which to choose. Lake Como on the other, like Lake Maggiore has the mountains to lake scenary. Breathtakingly beautiful as well, but probably much more expensive, even hotels, guesthouses etc that have a lakefront (or not) are very expensive. So it also depends on the budget. Both places are lovely, the scenary breathtaking. If you have any quetions, I will be willing to answer. Just remember, even if you plan you wedding to take place in the south of Italy, like Amalfi Coast, in March or April, although it is not really the rain season, you can never be guaranteed a nice warm sunny day - unless you book about a week before and check the weather forecast! Have a great wedding.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 09:31 AM

The Lakes will be far to cold, but wherever else you go in Italy, you will need to plan for an indoor wedding. if you pick a venue that specializes in weddings, they probably can quickly set up a place outdoors in their gardens where you could have the ceremony on short notice, but if you are planning on having a party with food as well, plan to have that outdoors.

Tuscany is MUCH easier for people to get to than some of the southern Italian beauty spots where the weather might be a few degrees warmer.

You should get an Italian wedding planner. You will eventually need one anyway, and they can help you from the beginning figure out where in Italy a March/April wedding would best work, given your desires.

Personally, I would not postpone a wedding day for a sunny day, but that's up to you.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 09:33 AM

Sorry for my fast typing! What I meant to write was:

You should plan to have the wedding indoors. If you pick a place that does wedding professionally, they can probably set up something quickly outdoors for the ceremony on short notice, close to the actual day. But plan for INDOORS.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 09:48 AM

That is still spring - some of it early spring. Outdoors may be cold, chilly or sort of tepid. Rain is always possible. I think the lakes are way too cold overall then (you're almost into the mountains).

Agree to get a weddign planner now - since you will need one eventuall for all of the translations and local legalities.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 12:26 AM

You can get a wedding planner, but you will have to pay for that service.

Many hotels, agriturismos or restaurants - like Mamma Agata in Ravello, but this is on the Amalfi Coast would help you a lot to plan it out since they would be locals. All depends on budget, but you will find agriturismos and hotels all over in Italy that would help you out, email them and ask for quotes and their suggestions.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 02:37 PM

I spent a week in Positano (Amalfi coast) last April - not a drop of rain, bright sun all day, warm and beautiful.

I just booked Tuscany and Como for this April - I'm hoping for clear skies if not warmth!
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Yes, but you can rearrange a vacation around rainy days. It's much more difficult to rearrange an outdoor wedding with a large group of people.

Never mind all of the legal requirements required for getting married in Italy. If the OP will look at some o fthe posts about marriage in Italy they can get an idea of the rules, regulations, residency requirements and documentation involved.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 05:37 PM

I'm interested to hear where you choose and how all the planning goes. I'm starting to plan my Umbrian wedding for next March and would love to know how yours goes.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 03:35 AM

Lovely bubblywine - Umbria is my most favourite provence in Italy, in my opinion the countryside scenary is even more beautiful than Tuscany, and more natural. I never tire visiting Umbria, different towns and villages. You will find plenty of relais and agriturismos with gorgeous views that would be more than willing to plan your wedding venue. Good luck.

vmm - For a wedding venue, if it was my choice, I would choose Tuscany or Umbria, rather than Southern Italy, and would book, as others suggested, a venue that holds both outdoor and indoor seating, you will be lost for choice for sure. I agree with Zeppole that Tuscany or Umbria would be easier to reach than southern Italy, because of locals driving etc, I think that it wouold certainly be a better option - unless you book a resort hotel, like the one that just opened in Puglia called Borgo Egnaza, the resort seems lovely, and I do not think that it would be hard to reach from Bari. But I assume it would be quite expensive, as it seems to be a high class newly opened resort, but you can always get quotes for a wedding.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 06:37 PM

I really do not agree that Lake Como is too cold in Late April and early May, as I have been visiting at that time for many years. As said, however, it may rain any time also. If you are still entertaining the notion of Lake Como, I have read many happy reports of weddings at Villa Cipressi in Varenna. Varenna has good rail connection to Milan and also frequent sailing times for both passenger and car ferries.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 09:47 PM

kimison,

This thread is about the weather at the lakes in late march and early april, not in late april and early may.