Lake Como or Tuscany?

Search

Lake Como or Tuscany?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Como or Tuscany?

I know it is a tough decision and kind of like apples to oranges but I am looking to plan 4-5 days in in June in either Lake Como or Tuscany for my 10 year wedding anniversary. I spent 2 weeks in Italy several years ago but did not get to either of these places. I understand the obvious draw of both locations but would like some input as to which you would choose and why. Looking for relaxation, good food, good scenery with a tad of historical sights (been there done that.) Thanks!!!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 05:14 PM

I'm not sure of what you mean by "historical sights" but if you aren't in to visiting churches, museums, and other architectural and historic sites on your trip, I would think a base on Como would suit you.

Personally, I go for art and history in Tuscany. Tuscany is certainly full of beauty spots but you will probably need to base in a small town and drive to really get the full impact of any area in Tuscany (which is large and varied, by the way).

Lake Como is smack you in your face gorgeous and very easy to enjoy without a car. Boats between towns, with a visit to a villa and garden or two, will provide you with great scenery, tons of relaxation, enough good food, and minimal historical sights.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 05:35 PM

With only 5 days, and for a romantic setting, I too would pick Lago Como. We are going back there in late Sep as part of our anniversary trip--but it is our 50th.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 01:48 AM

Lake Como is one of the most beautiful places in the world....and there are some galleries and museums, and you are only a short train ride for a day trip to Milan. It's relaxing and you explore the lake by boat and there are also buses. This link might help you...

http://www.lakecomoapartment.com/places2visit.shtml
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 03:06 AM

Boy, I'd absolutely pick Tuscany - even for just 4-5 days. We stayed on Lake Como for a few days and it was a nice break from our other touring, but 2 days was plenty to sit and look at the lake.

On the other hand, we also had a small gap (4 days) in a longer Italy trip and we chose to spend it in Tuscany. As we started to approach the region we remarked to each other how we had forgotten how beautiful the Tuscan landscape is - no, it's not water & mountains, but the beautiful golden colors of Tuscany are truly stunning. And of course I think the food we had in all parts of Tuscany was far superior to what we had on Lake Como, though I'm sure others could give you good food recommendations for that area.

One thing though is that we have always driven while in Tuscany and so could visit smaller cities where we could wander for just a few hours, eat, drive back to our B&B, rest, then go out again in the coolness of the evening. If you would rather just stay put, then I imagine Lake Como would be a better choice.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 03:52 AM

I beg to differ, AtlTravel....Some friends were just staying on Lake Como for a week and commented that a week wasn't nearly enough time to see and do everything that they wanted.
I have been there many times and still haven't been everywhere I meant to go.....and with Milan a short train ride away, and the beautiful town of Bergamo a little over an hour drive, there's a lot....
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 04:45 AM

Yes, I must have really not figured out what there was to do in the area besides boat rides to look at scenery. Oh well, guess I'll have to go back and give it another try!
To OP - good news is you're sure to have a great time in whichever place you choose.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 05:04 AM

Well that's a good excuse to go back! Another thing that you can do is take the train to Zurich through the Alps and do an overnight there....journey is about 3 hours, and they have a restaurant car which is fun!
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 05:57 AM

You can't go wrong either way!!! Lucky you!!! I have to say that Lake Como is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen (but Tuscany's not bad, either)!!
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 06:19 AM

I guess everyone will have their personal preference but we found Lake Como lacking and it is the only place in Italy that I have actually shortened my stay after arriving. Maybe it was the time of year but it was so quiet we moved on. That being said, we have visited on two occasions and I don't think the food and wine options are as plentiful or affordable as Tuscany. Beautiful yes, but somewhat limited and more expensive. Two days would be plenty.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM

I'd have to voice a different opinion than macanimals. I just returned last weekend from a 10 day excursion at Lake Como and found it to be wonderful. (I haven't been to Tuscany yet but I imagine it would be wonderful as well.) At Lake Como, I was more than able to fill my days with activities I enjoy. If you are going to Italy to play tourist with a full itinerary of sightseeing and excursions, then Lake Como may not be for you. There are Villa's to tour, and there is a history to investigate and review, but you need to do your homework for a majority of it (other than the few most popular destinations). If an active "nightlife" is your cup of tea then Lake Como may not fit the bill either (unless a late night long quiet dinner with lots of vino counts as nightlife--it worked for me). If you enjoy relaxing a bit, taking in a few activities, and adding in a little bit of site seeing at the various towns, then Lake Como is beautiful choice for a vacation spot for you. I will say it is a bit expensive but was worth it in my opinion. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip and will be back to visit again--perhaps even next year. Good Luck in your decision--this would be a tough one to choose from--regardless of where you choose, Enjoy your travels!
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Lake como is nice for a few days. The island of Bellagio is beautiful and romantic.
There are boat trip to these islands.
Also if you like to hike there is a funicular in Como that you take up to a small village then do a hike from there. Very nice.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 01:24 AM

Bellagio isn't an island...it can be reached by ferry from several points on the lake, but there's also a regular bus from Como town....there is only one island Isola Comacina, which has a very famous restaurant....see info here,

http://www.lakecomoapartment.com/places2visit.shtml

which has just a few of the things to see and do around the area.
You don't need a car to visit things around Lake Como, which suits many people.