Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon ideas for Italy??? (Tuscany, Lake Como, other suggestions???)

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

My finacee and I are planning a honeymoon directly after our wedding in DC, May 2012 and are hoping to do Italy. We have both been to Europe before to include Italy but would enjoy going back for our honeymoon. We are planning on spending 12 days for the entire trip, we would love suggestions or thoughts on what we should do, and how we should plan it. We want to focus on two areas (not spread ourselves too thin with only 12 days) Tuscany and Lake Como, probably flying into Rome and out of Milan, possibly renting a car for the traveling. Any thoughts or suggestions will be very helpful, to include flights, rental cars, places to stay in those areas, things to do, anything!!! Thanks in advance!!!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 04:56 AM

Your question is pretty broad as you do not mention your interests. Things to do are based on what you enjoy so please provide more information.

Your plan to focus on 2 areas is a good one IMO. It will give you time to relax and enjoy.

Not sure why you would fly into Rome when your destinations are Como and Tuscany. For Tuscany, Pisa or Florence Peretola are better options in most cases. If you would like to spend a few days in Rome at the end of the trip, then plan a flight from there.

You can fly into Milan and head to Como via car, bus, train. We do not like to drive in Italy so plan our trips around public transport. Others who rent cars can offer more useful tips about that mode of transport.

Even though Como is beautiful, we find one day to be enough when we visit the area. And in a previous trip to Bellagio 5 years ago, we left after one night (had booked 3) as it was just too laid back and quiet for our tastes. Others love this area so I am sure will offer good suggestions on planning a visit there.

We prefer to base ourselves in small to mid size towns and cities for the variety of accommodations and dining as well as a bit of nightlife. In Tuscany, we stay in Florence and make day trips. While we love visiting the countryside, we would not choose to base in a small town.

Without knowing what kind of experience you are looking for it is difficult to make helpful suggestions.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 05:20 AM

IMO you may get better FARES if you fly in and out of Milan. An easy train ride from there into Tuscany
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice/info thus far! We are both looking to relax, do some sightseeing, hiking, etc... We are both into smaller cities as well, I like the idea of flying into Milan, that was great advice! Any advice with places to stay in Tuscany and also advice of places in or around Lake Como? I've also never rented a car in Europe so any inputs with this would be helpful. Again thanks for the replies thus far!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 08:09 AM

Well, I gather you're fixed on Lake Como. Otherwise I might have suggested the Ligurian coast, basing in Santa Margherita Ligure and daytripping to Portofino, the Cinque Terre, etc. You don't need a car for Lake Como; little ferries take you around.

It's hard to recommend hotels without knowing your budget.

What do you mean by Tuscany? It includes the seashore, the city of Florence, the hilly countryside to the north of Florence, Chianti, and the more rolling hills of southern Tuscany. And lots of pretty little towns.

Everybody's favorite here is southern Tuscany, in which I include Siena and San Gimignano. This is the countryside you see in travel posters. You really need a car to explore and enjoy this area. I prefer the towns of Pienza and San Quirico d'Orcia as bases because they're on the flat and easy to drive in and out of. And I like staying in a town with a selection of restaurants you can walk to. (So I can enjoy wine at dinner after a long day sightseeing.) As opposed to staying in an agriturismo (a farm which rents rooms).

Not every place has car rental offices. You need to plan. Here's a site with lots of practical information about traveling in Italy, including driving: www.slowtrav.com/italy/instructions/index.htm
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 09:13 AM

<<Otherwise I might have suggested the Ligurian coast, basing in Santa Margherita Ligure and daytripping to Portofino>>

I second that suggestion. We based in Rapallo for 3 nights several years ago and loved the area as well as the town.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Everyone's favorite may not be southern Tuscany. We much prefer Chianti which is lovely and gives access to Siena, San Gimignano, Florence and all of the charming towns in the area. It is also closer to the Lakes where you may start your trip although the idea of the Ligurian Coast would be great, as well, since you mention you like hiking. If you choose Tuscany or the Ligurian Coast explore flying into Milan and out of either Florence or Pisa.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 02:09 PM

well what can i say.. i live near lake of come it is very beautiful but i would not stay here too long.. two days are enought because italy is so beautiful!
if u have planned to arrive in italy in milan u can see milan (one day) como (two days) you can rent a car or you can even go by train in como..it is not far.. one hour by train. U can even go to florence by train from milan it is less than two hour but then i think is better to take a car there..is easyer to see all the beauty of tuscany. U have to see the reagion called chianti that is near florence so.. romanic.. so lovely..i suggest u to go in an agriturism ( i went to one very beaautiful some years ago.. u can find in facebbook under the name "agriturismo poggio all'olmo-greve in chianti"..lovely lovely) then go and see sorrento and the surrounding. You will never forgive italy! Hope to have help u in some ways if u have other questions.. ask me
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 02:30 PM

check out Agriturismo Marciano in Siena. I'm going there for my honeymoon in October of this year. If you want to wait til then I can give you a report after we get back, but if you're like me, it's very hard to wait to book hotels. Anyway, it sounds like it might be something you and your fiance will enjoy. Congratulations!
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 08:21 PM

I havent done a lot of Italy, but a stay on the Ligurian Coast shouls prove wonderful - good luck with everything.
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM

coloboy13,
This may give you some ideas for tuscany http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

All your post have been so helpful! Christrmpt04 I'd love tohear your thouhgts and if anyone else has more I'd sure love to hear suggestions and ideas. I guess the thing I'm struggling with is where to fly in and kind of a basic plan for a 7-10 day trip? It is sounding like flying into Milan, heading to Lake Como, Seeing Florence, Sorento,possibly Tuscany then ending in Rome. We have both been to Italy multiple times but both never been to Lake Como. Anything I'm missing. And also would love ideas for hotels and such in all these places,not looking to go cheap but would prefer not to bust the bank either.
In advance thank you so much!
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Not sorento... sorry not sure what I was thinking!