We saw DaVinci Code in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our second last night we went to the theatre and saw DaVinci Code - English with French subtitles. The experience in itself was intresting as the audience talked all during the previews and ads. As soon as the movie started it was pure silence. What a great audience - thet stayed put, didn't talk or whisper - - - a real pleasure to view a movie. Is that normal?
I would like to know if the French dialogue was subtitled in the North American version of the film. It wasn't in Paris which would have made it more a slight challenge for someone without a rudimentary French knowledge.
What we are very curious about is the audience reaction (and lack of it) at different parts. (1) When Teabing is facing the English police after Langdon and Sophie escape from the plane he says to the police in referring to the Fench police tip, "You just can't trust the French." I laughed ... alone. The rest of the theatre was silent.
(2) When Sophie was revealed as the only living blood relation of Jesus Christ, the audience laughed for a considerable time. Was this the reaction in N.A. theatres?
(3) When the group of English at Roslin were were introduced as Sophie's friends and protectors the audience laughed. Was this a shot at the English by the French audience as being incable of protecting anyone?
Loved the movie. Loved the experience and to see it in Paris . . . priceless.
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:58 PM

What fun! Lucky you!
Our audience was not full of reactions here in Portland.
1-So no reaction when Teabing said that.
2-I chuckled, I enjoyed the movie and the book but that line is funny.
3-I think I laughed because they were sort of goofy looking and not what one would think of as "protectors" nor did they do much protecting in that film!!

-
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Saw the film the other night and enjoyed it. Yes the French was all subtitled here. I don't recall much laughing at any point in the movie but I also laughed at the trusting the French comment.

Was the ending of the movie different than the ending of the book?
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett - Thanks for the information. I think you are right.
mclaurie - I figured that there must have been subitles for the French. I am not sure what you mean by a different ending. The movie would be the same as you saw except for the subtitles. Though, as I recall there was no offer of a future date in Florence in the movie.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Oh! I thought you said <i>Givenchy</i>. But I wouldn't pronounce it that way.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Robes -
ROFLMAO
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just saw the movie tonight with my son. I have read the book, me son has not. Both of us enjoyed the movie very much.

mclaurie, the ending in the movie is a bit different to the book. If you email me at barbksatsan.rr.com I'll try to explain. Overall, it's the same, but how they get there is a little different.

robjame, the group at the end would probably be Scots, not English, as Roslin Chapel is near Edinburgh!
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:09 AM

Booooring!
Old May 27th, 2006, 03:10 AM

worldinabag, you must stop putting yourself down like that. Goodness knows, there are enough people in this world who will say nasty things about you without your doing it to yourself. Be positive. I am sure there are a lot of things about you that are interesting to some people.
Old May 27th, 2006, 03:35 AM

RE 2) Maybe the French laughed out loud because they are no strangers to aristocracy, and they have seen family trees showing so-called 'direct' succession.

For example, since Queen Victoria married Prince Albert less than 200 (let alone 2000) years ago there have been seven generations, with multiple branches in each.

Try www dot etoile dot co dot uk slash rgene dot html - it's only a partial tree but anyone viewing such a tree (or similar) would understand that in order for Sophie to be the only surviving blood relative, that Silas has been one very, very busy monk!)
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:44 AM

Just curious - why do you write the URL that way?
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Here's the same chart in a pdf (that you can zoom and print parts of): http://www.royal.gov.uk/files/pdf/Wi...ily%20tree.pdf