Good book about French culture

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since there is often discussion about French culture and customs, a book I like:

"Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong: Why We Love France, but not the French," by Jean-Benoit Nadeau and Julie Barlow, Sourcebooks, Inc., 2003. The authors are both Canadians who were posted in France for a few years. The initial topic of their assignment was to cover how France was adapting to globalization, but it evolved into more of a study of the contemporary culture and customs. (Their sponsor was the Institute of Current World Affairs.)

The title of the book is a bit misleading in that the authors attempt to explain how France and its institutions work well enough given its own culture, and why differences with other cultures can drive outsiders a little nuts. The authors do not imply that everything rolls along smoothly or uniformly across France, but some insightful themes are developed re: the art of eloquence; eduation; the role of government; until-the-bitter-end-ism; the importance of land; private space; etc.

Much of it rings very true in my own experience, and they seem to have enough French colleagues and freinds to earn some veracity in what they write, yet still write with whatever objectivity an outsider might offer.

Anyway, I think this book is more insightful than others written on the subject in recent years (e.g. Gopnick's "Paris to the Moon.&quot
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:33 PM

Dear capo wrote about this a while back.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34432413

Sounds interesting.
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:58 PM

I've read all those books and thought they were interesting. Although I will say that "Paris to the Moon," though sweet, was very amateurishly written. You wonder why the author didn't employ a better editor. Another interesting book is "French Women Don't Get Fat," which has a story woven in and out of all the recipes. That one was really funny in parts.
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:55 AM

"The Seven Ages of Paris" is a wonderful book. It tells how Paris got to be Paris through the ages. It is NOT a dry history book! It is witty, urbane, insightful.

Good luck.

Anthony
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:16 AM

"Almost French" by Sarah Turnbull was very good. About an Australian woman who marries a French man and moves to Paris. Entertaining and informative at the same time.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:20 AM

I'll second "Almost French" - VERY educational and a super fun read as well.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:29 AM

For Americans, John Ardagh's THE FRENCH, may aid in understanding France and the French.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Before moving to Europe someone recommended reading Polly Platt's books French or Foe and Savoir Flair. I often refer to them before heading to France. I also really enjoyed Paris to the Moon.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Gopnick can be entertaining, but I wouldn't trust him for insights into French culture. He barely passed through. A year or so, as I recall. Also, I would beware of generalizations, from anyone. French culture and customs are rich, varied and complicated, and not infrequently contradictory. Two decades on, I don't believe I know very much.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Fragile Glory: A Portrait of France & the French by Richard Bernstein was, I thought, insightful and an interesting revelation of French ways and the French temperament. Also some great anecdotes from his days as the NY Times man in Paris.
Kevin
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:59 AM

what a revelation! I didn't know we were so interesting to study!;-)
I almost feel like species in danger...

a few weeks (months?) ago I wanted to buy "Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong: Why We Love France, but not the French," but it seems so interesting I can't find it anywhere now! can anyone make a summary of it? :->
and is there any equivalent for american people so I'll know everything about YOU!
coco
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
"Almost French" is the best book for women about dressing in Paris and how to conduct yourself and she explains why through her mishaps. I'm a big fan of Inès de la Fressange and when Sarah interviews her, she learns a thing or two about style, throws out her warm-up pants and doc martens.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:49 PM

They may not be entirely about French culture but I enjoyed the perspective on life in France as written by Peter Mayle. I read A Year in Provence 1st then all his other books about his life in France.
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:33 PM

The last several years has seen many books and articles about the "French Paradox," and the recent books about how French Women staay thin.
To my delight today, the current issye of the New Yorker arrived.(I always choose the week's favorite cartoon of mine, as I think they have gone down hill the last many years.
Today, I picked: "The Secret Shame of Paris"

"Predawn Roundup of Fat Frenchwomen."
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:18 PM

In my new issue of "France Today" there is an article about the rise of obesity in France. Don't have it with me to quote anything . . .
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:27 PM

travelnut, I subscribe but here is that article on line,

http://www.francetoday.com/articles/...do_get_fat.htm
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:40 PM

The May 2 issue of the New Yorker has an ad for "A Great Improvisation - Franklin, France and the Birth of America" by Pulitzer Prize winner Stacy Schiff.

The NYT says "The most important recent addition to Franklin scholarship"

Ron Chernov - "Sparkling prose..tells the tale of Franklin in Paris with piquant humor, outrageous anecdotes worthy of the finest French farce, and a wealth of lapidary observations."

The issue also reviews "Malraux: A Life" by Olivier Todd.

Old May 14th, 2005, 05:45 AM

If you have enjoyed "Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't be Wrong", and can read French, Jean Benoît Nadeau also wrote "Les Français Aussi Ont un Accent" (The French also have an accent) about his and his wife's "anthropological misadventures" among the French. Published in France, it is a very witty and perceptive look at the French. There is a bit of overlap with the English book, but generally the book stands on its own, and I thoroughly recommend it.

For a taste of it, in his concluding chapter, he list 12 things that always baffle the outsider, in ascending order of irritation:

12. The time of sunrise: always too late, even in spring.
11. Tips: do I leave one or not?
10. Do I say mademoiselle or madame?
9. Congratulations on your accent
8. Breakfast
7. The time of lunch
6. The dry cleaner's that closed for lunch
6. To call a tapis (rug) a moquette (carpet)
6. Priority to the right
6. Turkish toilets
6. Parisian taxis
6. Dog-shit

He remarks that all of these constantly remind him that he is not at home. If you notice no more than three of these, you are French, through and through. After 15 to 20 years in France, you might score 6 out of 12!