Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In Paris soon? Planning a visit to Versailles?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

This is for those of you who are in Paris already or are planning a trip in the next month or so. If you are planning on going to Versailles, it would behoove you to see the Sofia Coppola film "Marie Antoinette" which is now playing in France. It will not be released in the United States until mid-October. As it was filmed in the château and on the grounds, it will really change the way you see Versailles when you visit it. As for the artistic merits of the movie, it is somewhat too long, but Kirsten Dunst gives a very original vision very much unlike how we always imagined Marie Antoinette to be. Details of court protocol are also a hoot.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it's Kirsten Dunst's vision at all, but Sophia Coppola's. It is original, which may mean fictional. However, I'm sure I'll see it eventually because I did like Lost in Translation.

so, I heard there were lots of boos at the screening.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:41 AM

I believe Sophia Coppola based her production in great part on the Antonia Fraser biography, which is excellent. We'll see how closely she stuck to it.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:15 AM

The film was boo'd at Cannes.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Ooops! Sorry. Christina already said that.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:24 AM

did any article say why it was booed?
It sounds good to me and people accept other fictional works.
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:49 PM

I have been eagerly awaiting this movie release since I have read numerous bio's of MA. My husband heard on NPR that the French critics booed because they did not want an American interpreting French history. Otherwise, it evidently was considered a good movie.

I read elsewhere that if you like Sophia Coppola movies, you will like this one and vice versa. I am in the camp of liking her movies a lot and with this subject, I will run to the opening no matter what the critics say from any country.

Sadly, I will have to wait for the US release in the fall...
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Well, they giggled at The DaVinci Code and it had the second largest opening weekend in history. Perhaps Sofia will be so lucky. The scenery should be amazing - and I like Kirsten Dunst.
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

The screening to the critics was booed but the screening for the public was applauded. In the sold out show that I saw in Paris, I would say the public had mixed reactions.
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Kerouac - did Jason Schwartzman pull off the Louis IV role ok? At first I couldn't see him doing it but I just saw him in Shopgirl and now I can sort of get it.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM

topping for lori
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:39 PM

I read that no one liked it

I can see Jason Schwartzman as a young Louis in need of a shampoo, but Kirsten Dunst? I dunno...
I will probably still see it though
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Scarlett - did you see shopgirl? It was the first time I saw him in a movie and I was pleasantly surprised.

I am with you on the Kirsten thing but will still go.

Thanks bookchick - i could not find the post
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:04 PM

Hi
Yes, I saw Shopgirl and did not love him in it..although he did sort of save himself at the very end
I could not watch him in I the Huckabees..

I am waiting to see <u>La Moustache</u>
The NYTimes says :
<i>No matter how serious it becomes, however, &quot;La Moustache&quot; never forsakes an underlying attitude of high-style playfulness that recalls Hitchcock's cat-and-mouse romantic thrillers. This screen adaptation of a novel by Mr. Carr&egrave;re, a popular French author making his directorial debut, never lets you forget your manipulation by a storyteller with the mind of a trickster&quot;</i>
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:48 PM

kerouac -
was the version you saw in English with French subtitles, or dubbed? We will be in Paris shortly and sounds like it might be fun for my niece to see before her first visit to Versailles, but she speaks no French.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

It's in English in all of the major cinemas in central Paris. The major cinema chains to check out are :
www.ugc.fr
www.cinemasgaumontpathe.com
www.mk2.fr

Scarlett, I think you will find La Moustache quite interesting -- and with a very unexpected twist.
Old May 27th, 2006, 03:53 AM

The reviewer I heard about MA said the French booed it because they don't want her to be portrayed in a favorable way. This is about her ascendency to the throne at 16 and her husband was 20 with the story told about basically teenagers in a strange situation. It was much better received outside the critics.
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Kerouac-
Sounds like a great idea. We'll be in Paris in less than a month.
I'm sure rating systems are different in Europe, but do you happen to know if it's a rated R film? Our daughter is just 13 and , although I think it would be great for her to see it, I don't think she's ready for anything for rated R type movies.
Thanks,
dina
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Lib&eacute;ration said Coppola didn't engage with any aspect of the history of the period:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...784264,00.html
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

The movie is definitely not R-rated; every scene where Kirsten Dunst is naked shows absolutely nothing, and the consummation of the marriage consists of an embarrassed grunt under the covers followed by &quot;Sorry&quot;.
I don't have any idea how foreigners can think that French have any special reason to like or dislike Marie Antoinette compared to any other royalty. Already, Napoleon is much more famous outside of France than in France, and Louis XVI was such an insignificant twirp that absolutely nobody cares about him or his family. That's what made the movie refreshing, because even to the French it shows a lot of things that people don't know about her, even though it cannot in any way be considered historically accurate -- but the spirit of the time is shown for what an insane period of dancing on the volcano that it was -- just like 2006.
I would say that the only political statement made by Sofia Coppola in the film is the inference that the regime lost popularity by sending too much money to help the American revolution. Food for thought.