Walking Hampton Court to Petersham.

Jan 16th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Walking Hampton Court to Petersham.

Last year we did a delightful walk along the Thames from Richmond to have lunch at Petersham which was wonderful. If we took the train out to Hampton Court, how long would the walk be to get to Petersham and is there a path all the way along the river? I'm expecting a couple hours, but curious.
Jan 16th, 2004, 10:23 AM
ron

Patrick, last June I walked from Hampton Court to Richmond. I left Hampton Court at about 11 am. I can't remember exactly when I arrived in Richmond, but I was certainly sitting in the White Cross with a pint of Youngs bitter and a bowl of soup before 2 pm. The Thames path crosses the river at Kingston; I somehow missed a sign or misread the map and got somewhat confused there, but otherwise it was uncomplicated. A very pleasant walk.
Jan 16th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ron. We thought the Petersham was much further out from Richmond, and thought we couldn't miss it. After almost an hour and not seeing it, we asked someone and found we'd passed it miles back so had to head back. But that getting lost was great -- it was such a pretty walk, so would like to do more of it.
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:58 AM

We will be staying at the Petersham Hotel on Nightingale lane in Richmond for a few nights in September after 3 days in the City. We intend walking down the tow path along the Thames and will cross the river in Kingston and continue to Hampton Court. Can anyone recommend other things of interest in this area. We would be happy to walk further on either way if there were things to see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:14 AM

Patrick and Sydney:

There's stuff to see for the whole hundred and odd miles the path runs from the Thames Barrier to Thames Head.

If you're not aware of it, www.thames-path.co.uk is one of Europe's most useful, unheralded, websites
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:36 AM
ron

A minor navigation point, Steve, but if you are walking from Richmond to Hampton Court you will be going up river.

Ham House, a National Trust property, is accessible from the path near Petersham. And in season, there is a passenger ferry across the river that would allow a visit to Marble Hill House, an English Heritage property.

Downstream from Richmond to Kew Bridge, the path follows the boundary of Kew Gardens.
Jul 28th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Here's another link with information about walking from Hampton Court Palace to Richmond:
http://www.londontoolkit.com/whattod...court_walk.htm
also:
www.riverthames.co.uk
Ham House is definitely worth a stop, especially in the summer when the lavender in the Cherry Garden is in full bloom.
I can attest from personal experience that the passenger ferry operates even in the rain!
The Thames ceases being a tidal river in Teddington at the Teddington Lock, where river traffic is raised or lowered 8 feet in order to continue their journey.
In Twickenham, on the Marble Hill House side of the river, the York House Gardens back onto the riverbank, and contain some dramatic statues.
Enjoy!
Annette
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Thank you all for your help - you have found places for me that are new to my research.
Jul 28th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Hey Steve,
The cricket tour has had an offer of a fixture versus the "old Hamptonians" @

Dean Road
Hampton Middlesex

Check out the ground on your walk??

If you have a stopover in Santiago get to the Prince de Gales club...no faded colonial elegance here..pretty classy.
Jul 28th, 2004, 11:54 PM

Hey John J. Where are you writing from ? I was intending to walk through what I thought was Surrey. That ground is not on my walk is it ?
Jul 29th, 2004, 12:13 AM

Look Steve
If I am going to get you roaring in with the nor easter behind you at Acron and ripping one through Phil Marks then you are going to have to reduce this soft living and elitist chat with mk-2 and do some old fashioned hard yakka.I have always believed any decent fast bowler was a triumph of brawn over brain.

Even though I write from scotland island nsw I believe when you cross the bridge at Kingston you will be entering Middlesex.Hampton and Hampton court are in Middlesex.
Jul 29th, 2004, 12:38 AM

OK I get it, I should know my geography better! Not too brawny, you'll have to a get a character reference of me from John Pym. Nearest comparison for my action and style is Massey. I was running Father's triangular cricket team at Shore school a few years ago and got to meet up with the Pymies again. Anyway we should confine this chat to the Cricket thread. I will definately visit the oval on my walk along the Thames. I am looking forward to staying at the Petersham Hotel at Richmond. Sounds good - we will have a few days in the City at MkII's favourite hotel - The Athenaeum before then.
Jul 29th, 2004, 01:04 AM

johhj:

I must have been walking past your house only a couple of months ago. How DO you do your grocery shopping?
Jul 29th, 2004, 01:21 AM

From the Thames to Pittwater.... whose post are we hijacking this time?

Flanner...how the hell did you get to the island? I take it you are a pom.

Steve
Conversations between myself and J Pym tend to be short and terse. Don't particularly take to the way he does a commentary from mid on.
The time I caught the boat from westminster to hampton court it ran aground just short of the lock.Should have got off at Richmond and had a few pints instead.Check out the real tennis court at hampton...Bob Cowper was a good player i believe.
Jul 29th, 2004, 02:45 AM

johhj:

The same way most people do: getting on that tiny ferry and jumping onto the quay. Something I wouldn't want to do if it was really windy. Or, with groceries, even if it was just a bit choppy.
Jul 31st, 2004, 01:01 AM

Flanner
we buy our groceries in Mona Vale and put them in the tinnie at the Church Point commuter wharf and go across and carry them up the hill.
I presume you were a tourist here...how did you find your way to the island?

Steve
it would be great if you could check out the set up at Hampton.
If you happen to be walking down river check out the Kew CC ...we have a lead there.
Also a London travelling club has offered to play us at a village called Dunsfold in surrey.If you are driving in the downs check it out,

You know what we're looking for...village green type set up.Flat wicket,charming ground,clubhouse and bar for post match frivolaties.
Jul 31st, 2004, 01:15 AM

Thank you all for your ideas on walking the Thames. I am told of a little restaurant further up the river called the River Cafe - I understand it is very good, albeit pricey. Did you get my email Jacko ?

Search this Thread