Windsor Castle or Hampton Court

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had never been to either and only had time for one, which would you choose and why?<BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 09:41 AM

Well - it is a tough decision and you wouldn't go wrong whichever you choose. Having been to both many times I guess I'd pick Hampton Court Palace. Especially on a nice spring or summer day. Why? The Building first of all. Half a vast Tudor palace and a newer Stuart half. The Tudor kitchens. The AMAZING gardens. Henry VIII and 5 of his wives lived there. Taking a river boat back to London (don't take a boat TO HCP since the river current makes the upstreem trip almost an hour longer). <BR><BR>Windsor is also terrific. My fav parts are not the state apartments (VERY opulent), but Queen Mary's Dolls' House, St Georges Chapel and walking through the Great park.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:01 AM

I too would vote for Hampton Court Palace. In some ways, Henry VIII and his times are very representative of England to me. In all fairness I will also say that the morning I went to Hampton was a dreary Saturday and there was hardly anyone about. The next day I went to Windsor and it was choc-a-block with an unbelievably long queue waiting for entry.<BR><BR>Without a doubt Windsor is more opulent and far grander but I think that Hampton Court Palace is more “real,” if that makes any sense, and if possible, perhaps a wee bit less touristy. When you’ve finished wandering about the grounds and the palace, ask a warder for directions to the Prince of Wales pub, within easy walking distance. I had a great pint beside a warm fire and the fish’n’chips, (which they called “Great Cod Almighty”) was top-drawer.<BR><BR>However, it would be safe to say that, either way, you will be pleased.<BR>
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your detailed answers! This is exactly the kind of influence I was looking for.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:20 AM

If you can stand one more vote for Hampton Court I'll toss mine in Having been to both I'd take Hampton Court any time!
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

topping for hmathis
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 11:49 AM

I think it really depends on what you're most interested in. Hampton Court is wonderful if you're interested in Tudor History, but although it's still officially a royal palace, it's no longer lived in.<BR><BR>Whereas Windsor Castle is interesting if you want to combine history with seeing where the Royals still live - it's the Queen's weekend retreat. So you get to see changing of the Guards ceremonies and tour the state apartments which are still in use to this day. It's also the largest inhabitied castle in the world.<BR><BR>For info on both, check out the Royal Family's own website (you know times have changed when even the Queen has a website):<BR><BR>www.royal.gov.uk
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Very tough choice! I went to both when I was in London last month. I think I'd also pick HCP over Windsor, but I'll add a different reason - there are a bunch of free tours you can take throughout the day that take you all over the Palace, inside and outside, whereas at Windsor Castle there is just one outside, then you walk around the inside yourself. The tours were great at HCP - you learn so much history. We spent almost 5 hours there, vs about 2 hours at Windsor Castle. However, the Queen Mum is buried in the chapel at St. George's, and it was kind of interesting to see her burial place.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 02:57 PM

Another vote for Hampton Court. Done both, but Hampton Court was more interesting. Nice little cafe there too, well the food was decent anyhow!
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:37 PM

Another vote for Hampton Court. Perhaps the fact it's not being used now made it feel more historic (that probably makes no sense). It's in a fabulous spot.