Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > switzerland should i go or not need HELP & OPINION!

switzerland should i go or not need HELP & OPINION!

Jul 29th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

switzerland should i go or not need HELP & OPINION!

We are going to spain and greece for 2 weeks in sept with our 1 yr old daughter. We are now thinking of adding on Switzerland as well. We were looking to stay in the bernese oberland region. I wanted to know would you recommend this. We realize we will be going over budget, but believe its better to do this now rather than fly back from canada again. How many days would you recommend and any ways to cut costs down. We will be using london as our base. Is it worth it to go or not! I am really confused and can't make up my mind. I believe switzerland will add another 2000 dollars to our trip.
Jul 29th, 2004, 10:36 PM

Would the Swiss travel be in addition to or part of the 2 weeks? That seems like a lot of traveling in 2 weeks, especially with a one year old. I live near Luzern and think it's a great place for family travel. My sister-in-law and 1-year old just stayed at our apartment for 2 weeks while we were away and said they had a great time and never ran out of things to do.

I think the key is to rent an apartment (in abundence in ski resort areas) for the time you are here. Grindelwald would be a great base for you as it is relatively inexpensive in summer and apartments can be rented for less than 100sfr. per night. And being able to self-cater also cuts down costs considerably.

If you plan on solely being in the BO, consider getting the BO-regional Pass that could save you lots of money on mountain transport (area covers as far as zermatt and luzern), children under 6 are free on all transport (boats, cable cars, trains, buses, etc.). Also consider flying Easyjet.com or Helevetic.com from Spain for cheap flights. Switzerland is very kid friendly and I think you will be pleasantly surprised how affordable it can be here. Here are some links to get you started:
http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/engl/ticket.htm

http://www.grindelwald.com/

http://www.wengen-muerren.ch/flash/i...e-muerren.html

http://www.lakeluzern.ch/

http://www.interlakentourism.ch/

Jul 29th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

thanks, Switzerland would be on top of the 2 weeks. We have already confirmed these 2 weeks for spain and greece. WE have to use london as our base. The cost is travelling within switzerland. Also, how many days would you recommend in the grindelwald region?
Jul 29th, 2004, 11:06 PM

Are you renting a car? If you base it may be cheaper to just take a train (perhaps think about getting a one-month half-fare card instead of the BO-Regional Pass if this is the case. Cost 99sfr. gives you 50% off all trains, boats, buses, mountain transport, etc. throughout the entire country. This can be bought at the airport or any other train station).

Realistically, I think with the slower pace with a baby you should plan on at least 5-6 days. Also, I go to London a lot from Switzerland and fly easyjet.com from Zurich or Geneva (or Basel which is much less convenient as there is no rail station there).
Jul 30th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Switzerland is great, but I would only do it if you can add on another week.
Jul 30th, 2004, 05:01 PM

The places you are going seem to be a long way from London and from each other, which could mean you will spend most of your trip in transit.

I love Switzerland, but I don't think I would to to the BO with an infant. First, your daughter will be too young to appreciate anything, and probably will have no memories of the trip. Second, the BO usually involves a lot of walking and hiking, often over rough terrain, often shockingly close to cliffs. You would almost certainly have to carry your daughter and her supplies constantly, and that could be a lot of work.

My suggestion would be that, if you a returning from London, you take the opportunity to see something convenient to London, and save Switzerland for another trip. Northern Italy (Florence, Venice) and Switzerland makes a nice compact tour.
Jul 31st, 2004, 01:52 AM

Why are you using London as your base if you are going to Spain and Greece? Do you have any idea how far those countries are from London (and each other)? It sounds like a lot of traveling, and the getting from one place to another is the least enjoyable part of travel, especially with a baby.

That said, I think that Switzerland would provide the perfect counterpoint to Spain and Greece, for many reasons which you will understand when you go there. I hope you are able to stay in either Wenger or Murren, it is so gorgoeus and the beauty of the mountains will make you weep. As long as you're over there, you may as well do it, if you can!

Search this Thread