Search

Violence in Europe vs USA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:26 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Violence in Europe vs USA

In planning my upcoming trip to Italy, I have read many things about pickpockets, gypsies and safety of tourists in general. <BR><BR>Frankly, maybe I'm naive, but I'm a little puzzled. The U.S. is one of the more violent countries in the world, yet we Americans seem to be so scared of being mugged and attacked while being in Europe. <BR><BR>Why is that? Why do we feel that by going to countries who have better and safer crime statistics than the U.S that we think we'll be attacked? Is it because we stand out so much as tourists and traditionally tourists do carry more cash with them? Is it fear of the unknown? When we are in our own little worlds, we know where not to go and where it is okay to go?<BR><BR>Just wondered what others' thoughts are on this subject.<BR><BR>Lynn
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:42 PM

Fear of rouge cows, I think.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 09:58 PM
lyb
Original Poster

LOL... those cows....Oh, yes...that was the funniest thread on this board!
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 11:55 PM

Arrogance?
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Sylvia

Well, it's probably because of being a cat in a strange alley.<BR>When you're in your own country your antenna is tuned to possible dangers. You tend to know by instinct which areas to avoid and to recognise hostile body language. That doesn't quite apply in a foreign country.<BR>That said, I've been more frightened in America where I spent two years than I ever have been anywhere I've travelled in Europe.<BR>Of course they don't have the dreaded Rouge Cows in America!

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 02:39 AM

Actually, while violent crime has dropped sharply in the US over the past 10-15 years, it has greatly increased in most European cities. Many European cities now have petty theft (pickpocketing, purse snatching) and overall violent crime rates (mugging, robbery, burglary, home invasion, assault, etc) higher than the US, although murder rates remain much lower in western Europe than in the US.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 03:18 AM

Sylvia and RufusTFirefly have it exactly right. The original post talks about &quot;better and safer crime stastistics than the U.S.&quot; but doesn't share those statistics. In terms of VIOLENT crime, a case can be made. In terms of the crimes that many tourists are concerned with such as pickpocketing, thefts, car theft/break-ins and burglaries, there are plenty of good reasons to be very vigilent in many parts of Europe.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:14 AM

Thieves prefer tourists to locals.When you travel you metamorphose into a target.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:50 AM

I do believe we as tourists stand out as targets. Also, in my area of the USA I never worry about pickpockets, it just doesn't happen (okay I did worry when I went to the jewelry mart in LA) but knowing it is a risk in Italy gives me good information. Am I paranoid or going to stay home? Absolutely not, but I will take cautions.<BR>Cindy
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:30 AM

I don't think most of the posts on here about theft are concerned at all about being mugged or attacked in Europe -- they seem to mainly be concerned with pickpockets.<BR><BR>I don't know if the US is one of the &quot;more violent countries&quot; of the world, in comparison to some in Africa, South America, etc.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Crime and violence can happen anywhere anytime to anyone. Enjoy your trip and don't worry about these things. Just like you look around in a dark parking lot on the way to your car, just use common sense.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:41 AM

I think the concern is higher when you are traveling overseas because of the hassle factor... it can be much more difficult to get a replacement card, for example, if you are traveling. I take normal &quot;city&quot; precautions at home, but I know that I can walk into my bank that day and get a new card if mine is lost. Still a pain, but not taking valuable vacation time! So, when I travel, I use a money belt, and I don't worry about it!<BR><BR>Also, at home, I know where NOT to go ... in a strange city, I'm not as familiar with the rougher areas, so am more cautious about walking around.<BR><BR>Anne
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:47 AM

I lived in Madrid for over a year and had the opportunity to travel alot. It's been my experience that as far as violent crimes, Europe has significantly less than their American equivalent cities. However, I believe someone already posted that violent crime is on the rise. This being said, I was MUCH more worried about being pick pocked while there than being killed.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:55 AM

Three words...<BR><BR>Bowling for Columbine.