Vienna-Venice or Salzburg-Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am wondering which is a more convenient route to take going to Venice from Austria

Would it be from Salzburg or Vienna?

Or it would be both the same?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Your question is unclear. Are you going to be in one or the other - or both already?

Or are you going to fly into one or the other?

Are you talking about train? Or car?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

sorry for the lack of information

I would be going to both places and I would want to know which of the two cities would it be more convenient to go by train to Venice.

I was thinking of staying 2 nights first in Vienna(leave our bags in the hostel) then train to Salzburg (2 nights) then go back to Vienna (1 night), then night train to Venice

Or should I just take the night train from Salzburg-Vienna, and not to go back to Vienna anymore (I was thinking of travelling without the inconvenienc of lugging your luggage to and from the train stations)

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

actually its the night train from Salzburg to Venice

sorry
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:43 AM
ira

Hi al,

The 21:18 from Salzburg requires a layover of 2 hours in Rosenheim.

The 01:38 out of Salzburg is a direct train.

The 20:34 out of Vienna is a direct train, arr 08:45.

Leaving most of your luggage in Vienna while visiting Salzburg and taking the train from Vienna, looks like an easier way to do it than leaving from Salzburg.

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ira! I will do exactly what you suggested

anyway any pension/ hotel accomodations in Salzburg? around 70-80 euro per night
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:50 PM

I found a rate for the Tulip Hotel in
Salzburg for that range. Try utell.com.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

Was thinking of staying in St. Wolfgang or Gilgen

Can anyone recommend a good romantic hotel here?

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:55 PM

Wait a minute. Salzburg is on the way from Vienna to Venice. Trains from Vienna to Venice go through Salzburg. By the time you've gone to Salzburg from Vienna, you are three hours closer to Venice.

Going back to Vienna from Salzburg to pick up a train for Venice makes absolutely no sense. You will be turning right around and make that trip from Vienna to Salzburg again before heading on out for Venice. Six hours on the trains , 3 from S. to V., 3 from V. to S., to be back where you started from - in Salzburg? No way.

You asked about convenient - six extra hours on a train to get back to the starting point don't seem convenient to me.

Take your bags from Vienna to Salzburg, do what you have to do in Salzburg, then keep going in the direction of Venice.

You can take night trains, or daytime trains.

Take the 21:18 from Salzburg Hbf to Rosenheim, wait for the 00:19 night train with sleepers and couchettes and you're in Venice by the canal at 07:36.

Or stay up, celebrate life or Mozart or whatever, dance the night away and catch the 01:38 from Salzburg Hbf (reserve a sleeper) and you're in Venice down by the canal at 08:45. Direct, no need to change trains - smooth as can be.

Or get up early and catch the 07:04 with a change in Villach - time for Kaffee und Kuchen, and you're in Venice at 13:26. They serve lunch on board the restaurant car.

Or sleep in, take the 09:53 with changes in Rosenheim (Germany) and Verona - this one shows you even more mountains and vistas and gets into Venice at 17:09. There is a bord restaurant for lunch between Rosenheim and Verona.

And there are others - no point in going back in the wrong direction, east to Vienna before coming back along the same route heading west through Salzburg and beyond to Venice.

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks WallyKringen I will follow your advice

anyway just a question if I take the train with 3 connections how far are the platforms from one another? (for example the train schedule you mentioned with the scenic view)

Upon searching the train schedules I could see only a few minutes interval between stops

Its actually my first time to take the trains in Europe

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:46 AM
ira

Hi al,

>Going back to Vienna from Salzburg to pick up a train for Venice makes absolutely no sense.<

The reasons I suggested that you do that are:

A. You won't have to schlep all of your luggage to Salzburg.

B. You can take a direct night train from Vienna to Venice, that leaves at a reasonable hour and arrives at a reasonable hour.

You will be on a night train. It doesn't matter how long the ride. You will be asleep.

>if I take the train with 3 connections ..<

Why would you want to do that? You have to lug your baggage off the train, up and down stairs and onto the next train.

>Was thinking of staying in St. Wolfgang or Gilgen...<

Check the train schedules at www.bahn.de.

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Let's keep this simple - we don't want to give you the impression that train travel is more complicated than flying - it is not. You book, you hop on, you travel. You pay per kilometer travelled, so distance (and time) is money. Going one way for 3 hours to pick up a train that comes right back along the same tracks for another 3 hours seems absurd.

All this talk about lugging and schlepping baggage and luggage in this thread - if you're staying in hostels then surely you only have a minimum, or you're not fit for hostels, or for overnight trains for that matter - there is only so much space in both, (and keeping your valuables on your person is important in hostels and on nighttrains).

You worry about making train connections: They are finely synchronized in the timetables to give travellers time to change trains. Sometimes you have to wait longer than is necessary. Here are the connecting times for the trains I gave you:

If you take the 21:18 for Rosenheim, you have 1:50 hour before the 00:19 nighttrain leaves for Venice.

The 01:38 from Salzburg goes all the way to Venice.

The 07:04 allows you 49 mnutes to change trains in in Villach.

And I just discovered a typo in my earlier train listings: I meant the 09:03 that goes via changes in Rosenheim (17 minutes to make the switch) and Verona (44 minutes) and gets you to Venice at 17:09.

Anyway, plenty of sensible choices with more than enough time to make the change even if you had more bags than you could possibly have (and you never said you had a lot, so I don't know where that came from).
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply!

Anyway we are planning to stay in Salzkammergut area

Would that be a good option? How far is it from the center of Salzburg?