Vienna to Munich train ????

Feb 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

We are going on a 2-week River Cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna with Grand Circle tours in July. We will need to take the train from Vienna to Munich to catch our plane home to the US. We know we will be taking a direct route from Vienna to Munich leaving about midnight and getting into Munich about 6 a.m. Our plane leaves at 10 a.m. My question is: How long does it take to get from the Munich train station to the airport? Either by train (I understand there is an airport train) or by cab. And what would the price be for either. TIA
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:26 AM

According to the Munich airport Web site, there are two S-bahn train routes from the main train station to the airport. For each of them there is a train every 20 minutes, so between them you can catch a train about every 10 minutes. The ride take 40-45 minutes and costs 8.80 EUR.
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Post a reply to this message

Jump to most recent post

Email this page

Author: mamajo
Date: 02/13/2007, 10:07 am
Date: 02/13/2007, 10:26 am
According to the Munich airport Web site, there are two S-bahn train routes from the main train station to the airport. For each of them there is a train every 20 minutes, so between them you can catch a train about every 10 minutes. The ride take 40-45 minutes and costs 8.80 EUR.

We are going on a 2-week River Cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna with Grand Circle tours in July. We will need to take the train from Vienna to Munich to catch our plane home to the US. We know we will be taking a direct route from Vienna to Munich leaving about midnight and getting into Munich about 6 a.m. Our plane leaves at 10 a.m. My question is: How long does it take to get from the Munich train station to the airport? Either by train (I understand there is an airport train) or by cab. And what would the price be for either. TIA

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Rail Time Table. Table 3 says that trains leave Munich main station every 10 minutes and take 40 minutes to the airport. I am sorry I do not know the fare.

Table 32 confirms that the Kalman Imre Express leaves ViennaWest station at 2345 and reaches Munich main station at 0617. It has 1, 2 and 3 berth sleepers, 6 berth couchettes, seats, and a restaurant car.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much. I really appreciate your prompt responses. And I have some other places to check out now. But we should be fine on our arrival time to the airport for our 10 a.m. plane.
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:32 AM

There are two S-Bahn lines to the airport, S-1 and S-8.

please look at this map:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/munich...ubahn_map.html

If your train from Vienna stops at the Munich East (Ostbahnhof) station (and I strongly suspect that it will) you can change THERE for the S-8 out to the airport.

there is absolutely no reason to ride all the way into the main rail station to kake this change; and it will be easier to make at the East station where there are fewer platforms and the S-Bahn trains leave from the same level as your train arrives.